Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HTTR 24-7.com: Defensive Dysfunction: How Mike Shanahan Can Fix His Achillies Heel

KCClybun

These aren't guys Shanny forced on Haslett; these are all guys Haslett approved of. And not to use the cap hit as a total excuse (there were better safeties available than Madieu), but it seemed like the plan was to get help in the back end as well. I don't think Shanny ignored that part of the team, or at least he didn't plan to. But if there was anyone Haz didn't want, he could speak up about it.

And Haslett's answer to having a struggling secondary, and linebackers who struggle at covering, has been to rush four, and then force a group of guys who struggle to cover into coverage. Usually zone of off man coverage on top of that, and even when we do "press" our corners never put a hand on a guy to disrupt timing or reroute receivers. That's all coaching stuff, and Shanny doesn't call the defense.

The talent isn't great and that does ultimately fall on Shanahan. But this passive defense Haslett has employed is just as bad as everything else. I'd say it was 50-50 at least.

I've mostly defended Shanny on personnel and on the aggregate I've definitely heaved more positive things his way than negatives. But in Denver he tended to struggle with 2 things -- hiring good D coordinators and amassing good talent on that side of the ball. Notwithstanding today's game, I don't think he's done much to disabuse his critics on this. Even if we lay it mostly on Haslett than it just plays into his ability to find a good coach for that side of the ball.

Great win so this isn't meant to be negative but IMO we need to see the defense carry this into other games. Foles didn't look sharp and that helped.

With our higher powered offense this year, it should have afforded Haslet and Shanahan to take risks on defense. You know, blitz. And when you do blitz, not the same delayed blitz. And more than 1 blitz a series.

We seem to show far too much respect for opposition offenses. Maybe our defense isnt as bad as it looks. Its just been exposed as having a weak secondary because Haslet calls plays that lets it happen.

Baby steps, we finally tried to go after a rookie QB. 1-8 is a lot better than 0-9.

Archived