Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Buzzfeed: Everything You Need to Know About the Internet's Feud with Papa John's Pizza

MattFancy

Poor quality pizza has mainly to do with inferior ingredients and inferior processes. Places are always trying to cut cost so food cost is an option. A "real" place will make it's own dough from scratch and it's own sauce. Most places will just take ingredients off a food service truck that is sold in bulk. Bulk, processed mozzarella does not taste like the real deal. Can tomato sauce, however subtle, does not taste like custom made sauce. Most places still just take frozen pie crusts, so that's another reason.

Poor quality pizza has mainly to do with inferior ingredients and inferior processes. Places are always trying to cut cost so food cost is an option. A "real" place will make it's own dough from scratch and it's own sauce. Most places will just take ingredients off a food service truck that is sold in bulk. Bulk, processed mozzarella does not taste like the real deal. Can tomato sauce, however subtle, does not taste like custom made sauce. Most places still just take frozen pie crusts, so that's another reason.

This is the truth and not only for pizza places but any restaurant. If you see the Sysco supply truck run!!

Mama Lucia's pizza is the greatest pizza place in my opinion. It's in Fairfax, Va and I miss eating it every Friday.

Only place better than Mama Lucia's is Momo's down here in Tallahassee. Biggest pizza you can get is a 30" pie and it takes one slice to be full.

http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j362/oduskins24/148172_10100352018000237_748493589_n.jpg

I'm getting hungry thinking about it.

YES!!!! I love Mama Lucia's, been eating there with my family since the first one opened in Rockville probably 12 or 15 years ago. Great pizza and pasta, the pasta marinara with mussels is amazing. God I wish they had a location here in VA, just thinking about it has me fiending for some of their food. :ols:

You all doing it wrong. Order it the MOnday after a Redskins victory for double the toppings

After a Redskins victory I once was treated to 10 free toppings and gladly took advantage of the offer

---------- Post added November-15th-2012 at 11:42 AM ----------

Here are DC pizza rankings

Ledo Pizza

Papa Johns

Dominos

Pizza Hut

I have noticed that pizza prices online are rising. Without the Redskins offer, it costs about 16 bucks for one large pizza. That's ridiculous. It's like this for everyone. This is why I don't order pizza anymore, I just make stuff at home.

You all doing it wrong. Order it the MOnday after a Redskins victory for double the toppings

After a Redskins victory I once was treated to 10 free toppings and gladly took advantage of the offer

Nope you're doing it wrong. I only ordered Papa John's during baseball season. 50% off your order if the O's or Nats scored 5 runs or more and won.

I worked at Papa Johns for three years in college.

Yes, the dough is frozen and shipped to the store.

Yes, the sauce comes from cans. (You mix in a spices packet when you open them up at the store, but the base product is canned)

Yes, the cheese is frozen into blocks and then dethawed the day before it is used in a walk in freezer.

The vege toppings are cut fresh the day or day before they are used. Meats are shipped like the cheese.

That being said, Papa John's is still my favorite chain pizza. But obviously, mom and pop is better than chain. (Does this really need to be said?)

Oh, also, I like the comment about how delivery charges going up due to gas when Papa John's does not pay for their driver's gas and does not give the entire delivery charge to the driver. When I last worked there (2007) the drivers only got half of the delivery charge. This may differ from store to store, but it's funny that it was listed as a reason for prices going up. You could say it's for the delivery of the food parts to the store, but then why is there no delivery charge for pick up orders? Oh, right, it's a made up fee that people think helps cover the drivers gas costs.

I prefer Mom and Pop pizza shops anyway. Was never a big fan of the big chain pizza shops

I agree. Victors Pizza in Springfield is so much better than pappa johns could hope to be.

---------- Post added November-15th-2012 at 06:23 PM ----------

Oh, also, I like the comment about how delivery charges going up due to gas when Papa John's does not pay for their driver's gas and does not give the entire delivery charge to the driver. When I last worked there (2007) the drivers only got half of the delivery charge. This may differ from store to store, but it's funny that it was listed as a reason for prices going up. You could say it's for the delivery of the food parts to the store, but then why is there no delivery charge for pick up orders? Oh, right, it's a made up fee that people think helps cover the drivers gas costs.

This needs to be said again and again. But yeah 10 cents for Obama care.

Florida Restaurateur to Impose Surcharge for ObamaCare

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/florida-restaurateur-to-impose-surcharge-for-obamacare.html

“It’s going to be a big issue for all of us — for my employees and for me,” said Metz, who has been in the industry since 1975. “The ones that are working more than 28 hours, they’re going to act as if I’m cutting their hours and they’ll have to find another job.”

At Denny’s restaurants operated by Metz, the average check is $9, he said, meaning the ObamaCare surcharge if implemented would be 45 cents on that bill. At Hurricane Grill & Wings locations, where the average bill is $14.50, the surcharge would total 72 cents.

Metz said he believes the entire restaurant industry — even high-end locations — will ultimately embrace the idea.

“That is what I foresee and that is the easier, least painful way to deal with these added costs,” he said. “In a true playing field, everybody will impose this, from McDonald’s to Denny’s to even maybe the fine dining restaurants in order to have the funds to be able to pay for either insurance or the penalty for not providing insurance to their employees.”

47 days until the layoff bomb explodes.

Yippee........

MAke your own food at home then

Fast food prices are rising all over the place. Cheaper to make my own food at home

Also makes me miss my days working with the Army, where you could sit down at the DFAC and get a good meal for 4 bucks. Good deal. Then you go out for lunch and it's like 7 bucks or 8 bucks for one meal.

I think that these large corporations that publicly state that they are going to pass on health care costs to consumers are going to get killed.

That Denny's operator is already back tracking...

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/11/dennys-pancakes-with-a-side-of-obamacare-tax-not-yet/

But now representatives for Metz are walking back those statements, telling ABC News in a statement that while Metz will cut back hours his employees work, the 5 percent surcharge was merely speculation, and never was his actual intention.

I think that these large corporations that publicly state that they are going to pass on health care costs to consumers are going to get killed.

That Denny's operator is already back tracking...

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/11/dennys-pancakes-with-a-side-of-obamacare-tax-not-yet/

But now representatives for Metz are walking back those statements, telling ABC News in a statement that while Metz will cut back hours his employees work, the 5 percent surcharge was merely speculation, and never was his actual intention.

I agree. I can understand it being a bit of a burden on smaller companies, but large national companies should not be complaining.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived