Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Eagles Head Coach Search Thread

CrypticVillain

Post all news about Eagle Coaching candidates here....

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/08/report-jon-gruden-could-be-headed-to-philly/

Report: Jon Gruden could be headed to Philly

Posted by Mike Florio on November 8, 2012, 2:30 PM EST

It’s been rumored for years that, if/when Eagles coach Andy Reid no longer is coaching the Eagles, former Eagles offensive coordinator Jon Gruden could be lured back to town.

Now, Howard Eskin of WIP and FOX 29 reports that Gruden could be the next coach of the Eagles.

The move, obviously, hinges on the Eagles firing Reid. And on Gruden being interested.

Gruden has made it clear from time to time that he’ll coach again, even as ESPN has tried to make staying in the broadcast booth more and more attractive to the man who led the Bucs to a Super Bowl win a decade ago.

Some of you will scoff at Eskin’s report, given that he said last week that a quarterback change with the Eagles was “likely.” Keep in mind, however, that the Browns scoffed in June when Eskin reported that former Eagles president Joe Banner could resurface in Cleveland.

Eskin serves as the radio sideline reporter for Eagles games, so he’s plugged in. And while it doesn’t take a genius to plug Gruden’s name in to a potential vacancy in Philadelphia, Eskin’s report makes sense.

If, of course, owner Jeffrey Lurie and agent Bob LaMonte will be able to transact business after Lurie has fired Reid, a LaMonte client.

~~~~~~

I would like this to be true

[Now, Howard Eskin of WIP and FOX 29 reports that Gruden could be the next coach of the Eagles.

The move, obviously, hinges on the Eagles firing Reid. And on Gruden being interested.

You could literally substitute any name in for Gruden and that would still be a true statement. This is really just a news source fishing for hits. No reason to believe he's interested in the Eagles job whatsoever, but now it's news. :doh:

This just in: Jimmy Johnson could be headed to Philly, if he's interested in it. Sean Payton could be headed to Philly, if he's interested in it.

You could literally substitute any name in for Gruden and that would still be a true statement. This is really just a news source fishing for hits. No reason to believe he's interested in the Eagles job whatsoever, but now it's news. :doh:

This just in: Jimmy Johnson could be headed to Philly, if he's interested in it. Sean Payton could be headed to Philly, if he's interested in it.

I hear that. I just want Gruden to be the coach because I think he is kind of overrated.

Fine by me. Gruden will never find a franchise quarterback because he can't see the forest from the trees with regards to QBs, or at least that is how he portrays himself when discussing QB. He could be talking about JaMarcus Russell and you'd think he likes JaMarcus Russell.

"Look at the cannon on this kid. I tell ya....he's gonna have a real long career in the National Football League. Look how he takes the snap, then BAM he's chunking it 50, 60 yards. Guy has a rocket. He's gonna make some coach really happy in the National Football League. What a player. I'm excited!"

---------- Post added November-8th-2012 at 11:17 PM ----------

On the real, I don't want Gruden anywhere in the NFC East. I don't really have much of an opinion of him as a coach, but I think he's just awesome and I never wanna have to root against him.

You got any sources?

I went ahead and changed this to the The Official Eagles Head Coach Search Thread. Because you know it's going to go down. That is unless they pulled of a Giantian run :ols:

Nothing solid, although I still see Juan Castillo every week (hard not to, he's my neighbor). We were just shooting the breeze, and seeing what's he's done with Luck in Indy, Juan said that Arians will end up on a lot of lists as the next out of nowhere hot coaching prospect, and might be the kind of move Lurie would make. It makes sense since he knows the city, as he was Temple's head coach years ago, even getting them to a bowl game if I remember. There's really no one to promote from within, even though Lurie likes to do that. I also asked him if he would consider being on Gruden's staff if Gruden came back to Philly. Juan just smiled a little and said you never know what's happening in the NFL. He's hurt that he was let go, but doesn't point the fingue at Reid. He thinks Lurie is becoming more of a hands on owner--not like Jones/Snider, but he sees Lurie as putting his fingers in places where he would normally have stayed away.

This is so stupid that I didn't even want to post it, but if you were to click here, you can see another "contender" for the Eagles Head Coach spot.

That would be scary. Kyle with those weapons? But I'm not sure he's ready yet as a leader to be a head coach.

---------- Post added November-13th-2012 at 12:32 PM ----------

BTW whatever happened to Westbrook36? I guess he's on another 6 month mission overseas. :rolleyes:

The good news for Lurie is that he doesn't have to wait to be talking to prospective head coaches (and hopefully GMs).

I'll tell you who would be intriguing to me, as an Eagles fan, and that is O'Brien from Penn State. I'm a PSU fan as well though, so it would be bittersweet, but the job he did up there this year is tremendous and he does have some experience in the NFL (albeit a Belichick assistant, which hasn't fared to well in the past).

You know, if the Eagles' hire Gruden I'll really believe that they secretly hired Vinny as their GM. 2011 just reeked of Cerrato. They signed every big name free agent in the book, gave an aging fragile qb a 100 million dollar deal, and assembled an ill fitting all pro team on paper that everyone thought was a dream team that failed to even get to .500.

Fast forward to this year and we discover that Vinny's picks didn't take a year to settle into the system, but that they are fat, content players who just don't care as much as their hungrier predessors.

Now, if they lure the next biggest name out of the broadcast booth ala Marty or even Gibbs... they'll have crossed completely into the Vinny zone.

You know, if the Eagles' hire Gruden I'll really believe that they secretly hired Vinny as their GM. 2011 just reeked of Cerrato. They signed every big name free agent in the book, gave an aging fragile qb a 100 million dollar deal, and assembled an ill fitting all pro team on paper that everyone thought was a dream team that failed to even get to .500.

In hindsight, Reid should have been let go after 2010, or earlier. Transitioning from McNabb obviously didn't work, although very few teams are able to go from one franchise QB to another quickly. Not being able to replace JJohnson as DC and McNabb as QB were the two main struggles. AND some piss-poor drafting/free agency pick-ups.

As a fan, I will be extremely frustrated if Roseman isn't let go in addition to Reid. He helped assemble this debacle. And, I don't want Chucky either. Give me someone who will build it the right way (the way Reid did it his first 5-6 years), preferably an offensive-minded coach.

Archived