Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Eagles Head Coach Search Thread

CrypticVillain

If I was an Eagles fan, I'd be just as worried about the QB position. Been a long, loooooong time since they haven't been settled there. Think they're about to learn the hard way just how important the QB is in today's NFL.

We are. Unfortunately, don't think we'll have a good opinion, either way, of Foles after this season, because of the OL. Seeing some of his decisions/throws though, doesn't leave one with a good taste in your mouth. Most likely they are going to have to go out and get a QB.

I don't think the Eagles are going to promote from within. I think Lurie is gonna blow it all up and start over. That means, Reid, Morningwood, Bowles, Howard Mudd, etc.

A retread could be possible, but not likely. I agree with Staubach, Chip Kelly would be a good choice.

I've always thought Gruden was overated as a coach, so let them hire him. Also, it would take his annoying ass off of MNF. He's just so irritating to listen to.

I always felt the opposite was true. He took a bad team and made them good and took a good team and made them champions. I think that if Gruden was matched with a great defensive coordinator (like Wade Phillips) and a good GM he'd succeed again. It goes without saying that I'd rather not see him in Philly.

While that may be the case, I think he rode Dungy's coatails to a championship like Switzer did with JJ and the Cowboys.

He did what Dungy couldn't and he beat the team he turned around in that superbowl, the Oakland Raiders. People act like all Gruden did was get lucky and inherit a team that was already good and forget that he turned Gannon and the Raiders, both losers when he took over, into winners. Then he beat them with Brad Johnson and the Bucs.

Dungy got his ring with a QB that is thought to be a little better than what Gruden had to work with.

He thinks Lurie is becoming more of a hands on owner--not like Jones/Snider, but he sees Lurie as putting his fingers in places where he would normally have stayed away.

I wonder if this played any part into Joe Banner's eventual departure. It seemed like Lurie was more partial to listening to Reid, and Roseman comes across as a bit of a yesman.

He did what Dungy couldn't and he beat the team he turned around in that superbowl, the Oakland Raiders. People act like all Gruden did was get lucky and inherit a team that was already good and forget that he turned Gannon and the Raiders, both losers when he took over, into winners. Then he beat them with Brad Johnson and the Bucs.

Dungy got his ring with a QB that is thought to be a little better than what Gruden had to work with.

If he takes over, it will be interesting to see if he can turn around a bad team.

If he takes over, it will be interesting to see if he can turn around a bad team.

If he does take over, the Eagles won't likely ever find a franchise QB under his direction. One thing Gruden could not do was develop a young guy (he was known for being impatient with them). His best years came with older guys at the position (Rich Gannon, Brad Johnson, Jeff Garcia).

Rumor is Chip Kelly.

---------- Post added November-19th-2012 at 10:15 PM ----------

Nothing solid, although I still see Juan Castillo every week (hard not to, he's my neighbor). We were just shooting the breeze, and seeing what's he's done with Luck in Indy, Juan said that Arians will end up on a lot of lists as the next out of nowhere hot coaching prospect, and might be the kind of move Lurie would make. It makes sense since he knows the city, as he was Temple's head coach years ago, even getting them to a bowl game if I remember. There's really no one to promote from within, even though Lurie likes to do that. I also asked him if he would consider being on Gruden's staff if Gruden came back to Philly. Juan just smiled a little and said you never know what's happening in the NFL. He's hurt that he was let go, but doesn't point the fingue at Reid. He thinks Lurie is becoming more of a hands on owner--not like Jones/Snider, but he sees Lurie as putting his fingers in places where he would normally have stayed away.

Juan was put into a **** situation by Reid. No surprise there since that seems to be Reids specialty.

If he does take over, the Eagles won't likely ever find a franchise QB under his direction. One thing Gruden could not do was develop a young guy (he was known for being impatient with them). His best years came with older guys at the position (Rich Gannon, Brad Johnson, Jeff Garcia).

What young QBs did he have to develop? He was impatient... As every coach should be. QBs have it or they don't and it doesn't take 4 years to see it. Shanahan's impatience is why RG3 is in DC. His 4th starter in three years.

---------- Post added November-19th-2012 at 10:29 PM ----------

He did that in Oakland. I hope Gruden goes to San Diego or something. :)

What young QBs did he have to develop? He was impatient... As every coach should be. QBs have it or they don't and it doesn't take 4 years to see it. Shanahan's impatience is why RG3 is in DC. His 4th starter in three years.

Not sure I'm following. I would say it's Shanahan's patience (not impatience) that RG3 is here. He had **** to work with as QBs, and could have reached for a QB last year or his first year here. Instead, he was patient enough and it got us RG3.

He only really made an attempt to develop Chris Simms, and never really tried again beyond that (unless you're counting Bruce Gradkowski). That's my point though. Perhaps Gruden has changed during his time with ESPN, but the fact is he never made an attempt to develop a young guy (reportedly due to unreasonable impatience).

He instead played QB musical chairs with Brad Johnson, Tim Rattay, Brian Griese, Chris Simms, Bruce Gradkowski, Jeff Garcia and Luke McCown during his 7 year stint with the Buccaneers. As a HC then, he didn't exactly show the patience or will to go out and develop a young QB.

While Shanahan might have been guilty of doing this same thing in his first two seasons with us, he changed it up in year 3 and went after RG3. Gruden, however, did not.

Archived