Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: The Redskins might be playing to evaluate players, but it’s too early for Mike Shanahan to say so

Lavarleap56

You had Dan and Vinny in charge of personnel and coaching staffs for over a decade.

Shanny should get the life of his contract.

I preach patience because everyone knew what this season was all about back in August.

Now, that logic has been thrown out the window.

What's funny is that the one's who preached patience back in August are the first ones wanting to fire everybody.

Really? "Everyone knew" that this team was going to have a decent offense and still fail to win games? I think what we all knew as that a rookie QB doesn't win many football games but that got turned on it's head when the rookie turned out far better than expected. RG3's success increased the pressure on Shanahan. Perhaps that isn't fair but it's hard to claim the team should be no better despite far improved QB play in this league.

After 9 games:

2010 4-5 (6-10)

2011 3-6 (5-11)

2012 3-6

It shouldn't take 5 years to get to 8-8. With all of that said I still say Shanahan isn't fired this season. It should get him called into Snyder's office and made to understand that his job is in jeopardy next season and that the time to see some damned ROI has arrived in earnest. Then again perhaps Snyder should inform Shanahan that after his little evaluating comment yesterday that the coaches will be under the same scrutiny for the rest of the season.

Really? "Everyone knew" that this team was going to have a decent average and still fail to win games? I think what we all knew as that a rookie QB doesn't win many football games but that got turned on it's head when the rookie turned out far better than expected. RG3's success increased the pressure on Shanahan. Perhaps that isn't fair but it's hard to claim the team should be no better despite far improved QB play in this league.

After 9 games:

2010 4-5 (6-10)

2011 3-6 (5-11)

2012 3-6

It shouldn't take 5 years to get to 8-8. With all of that said I still say Shanahan isn't fired this season. It should get him called into Snyder's office and made to understand that his job is in jeopardy next season and that the time to see some damned ROI has arrived in earnest. Then again perhaps Snyder should inform Shanahan that after his little evaluating comment yesterday that the coaches will be under the same scrutiny for the rest of the season.

Amen. And that's assuming he even gets to 8-8, which is looking rather optimistic at this point.

Then again perhaps Snyder should inform Shanahan that after his little evaluating comment yesterday that the coaches will be under the same scrutiny for the rest of the season.

Its not Snyders job, nor is he qualified, to evaluate coaches. He should evaluate Allen and Shanny based on the won/loss and roster development and sign the cheques. Period. Which to be fair is what he is doing. My feeling is if I was Snyder I would be saying to Shanny and Allen that I am delighted with what I have seen from RGIII and that it looks like we have one of the major building blocks in place - I now expect in year 4 of a 5 year deal to see progress that is reflected in wins and losses and that a 4th losing season would be unacceptable.

---------- Post added November-5th-2012 at 10:31 AM ----------

Best idea of the day. :applause::applause::applause::applause:

Scrutiny by whom exactly - Snyder? No thanks. It's Shannys job to evaluate the coaches and you can bet your bottom dollar he is - he knows its his ass and reputation on the line.

Its not Snyders job, nor is he qualified, to evaluate coaches. He should evaluate Allen and Shanny based on the won/loss and roster development and sign the cheques. Period. Which to be fair is what he is doing. My feeling is if I was Snyder I would be saying to Shanny and Allen that I am delighted with what I have seen from RGIII and that it looks like we have one of the major building blocks in place - I now expect in year 4 of a 5 year deal to see progress that is reflected in wins and losses and that a 4th losing season would be unacceptable.

---------- Post added November-5th-2012 at 10:31 AM ----------

Scrutiny by whom exactly - Snyder? No thanks. It's Shannys job to evaluate the coaches and you can bet your bottom dollar he is - he knows its his ass and reputation on the line.

So maybe Snyder could hire a coaching evaluator liason BINGO caller?

I can see that and agree that its a concern - but I don't think its time to bail on this regime, we have to bite a bullet and ride this out for at least another year IMO. The alternative is maybe going back two steps to take maybe 3 steps forwards.
I used to have a similar thought process......
-Kleese

I hear what you are saying, there have been some major blunders in Mike Shanahan's rebuilding process.

Some completely his fault, some with right intention but with a kinda shockingly unpredictable outcome (McNabb).

The quality of the FO rebuild prior to Griffin could be called into question and for good reason may have been viewed as 'hot seat' worthy.

...enter Robert Griffin III

Shrewd move on their part, because without a viable QB of the future the really would have been in trouble.

Robert Griffin is a great and worthy prospect that effectively hits the 'reset' button on this regimes time table.

It takes time to groom a rookie QB into a franchise QB.

Getting rid of regime in a rooke QBs 1st year can be quite damaging.

Also, finding a new regime (unless they are from the same coaching family/philosophy) almost guarantee more change/losing as the new regime brings in player that fit their scheme.

We are married to Mike, Mike is married to Griffin.

And while I feel your trepidation, I take solace in 2 things.

Whatever Mike Shanahan/Bruce Allen lack as general managers Mike Shanahan more then compensates with his ability to coach.

Equally if not more importantly Robert Griffin III is a stud.

I don't think this team is going to be worse then 6-10.

But if they are 6-10 this regime has to come back for Griffin's 2nd season.

But now I wouldn't be against a regime change. While they've developed a effective offense its not based on Griffin's passing ability its based on Griffin's running ability. And the main reason I would be against a regime change would be the worry about stunting Griffin's development as a passer within the offense. But based on the offense right now I have no qualms about stunting his growth as passer because imho there is no growth to stunt. Imo he has not been developed much in the 3-5-7 step drop rhythm passing game and reading defenses or coverage pre/post snap to warrant any significant lose or re-learning.

And most folks acknowledged before the season that the secondary was bad, the Oline still needed work and we had unknowns at WR....it wasn't only about the rookies at QB and RB.

The fanbase will tell you up front they are an intelligent,even keeled bunch with patience.

What a crock of horse apples.....lol

Patience runs out after 20 years of the same story. Different model, same story. Out of it by week 8 or 9 again.

Mike Shanahan came in preaching how he was going to change the culture of Redskins park and it would ultimately show on the field. 3 years later we still suck and the culture has not changed at all. This team is full of undisciplined losers that were brought in by Mike Shanahan. The only way Shanahan can turn the team around is he stops making personnel decisions and just sticks to coaching. The HC/GM model in the NFL has proven over and over again to be a model that ends in failure.

I know Shanahan isn't technically the GM but he makes all the personnel decisions so the point remains the same.

Actually I think it's the best thing he could say. Put the players on notice that they are playing for their futures and that nobody is safe. The moment losing becomes acceptable or expected people start to get comfortable in that. Shanny's doing the right thing letting these tools know that it's going to be boots-to-butts.

what do you think is the major problem here?

Oh, I don't know, but I'll take a stab at it and say "everything." Business as usual for the Redskins.

Years after year, game after game, play after play. I see the same, dumbass, boneheaded, ridiculous, assinine, stupid, crappy mistakes that we make every time. We get inside the 20- PENALTY! We get opponents inside the 5- 90+ Yard TD drive! Dropped passes, inept play calling, playing scared, playing conservative and just generally ****ing up. I'm done this year. Not watching anymore. Even Griffin isn't worth watching anymore. I'm finding something else to do on Sundays. I should have washed and waxed my truck yesterday, it needs it real bad.

I'm officially waving the white flag per my sig on the season. I have no more faith in Shanahan to turn this team around. We're worse this year, then the first 2 years combined under him. I see no improvement "anywhere" on this team. Just a bunch of rag tag no account bums in burgundy.

Personally (emotionally) I'd like to raid all the practice squads in the league to see if we can find some Safeties and Corners that can play. Seeing Wilson (and hearing his explaination after the game makes me sicker) I'd RATHER NOT SEE HIM ON THE FIELD AGAIN...Same with 41. I'd rather get blown out LOOKING for Talent than watching THIS Defensive garbage...

I've seen the skins defenses since '72 with the dancing bear, hangman, Pat Fisher..et'all. This defensive backfield group should be stripped of the colors and made to play in yellow (not Gold) Jerseys...IS that allowed???

Thank-You!

It does take 5 years.

And in our case it may require 7+ years.

Everyone says it takes 3 years to evaluate a Draft Class but yet no one wants to wait 3 years to see.

How is that?

Shanahan's 1st year is a gimme

It took his 2nd year to get younger,Remember we ranked very high in terms of being the Oldest Team in the NFL.

So in all honesty he's had only 2 years to put a team together,you need an argument to understand that just use the amount of Draft Picks used for RGIII argument(smell what I'm cooking?)

We haven't even had 3 years to evaluate his Drat Picks yet.

Are you gonna treat RGIII like you did Jason Campbell and have him learn a new Offense every year because your to impatient?

And the year 2 moves doesn't necessarily prove that getting younger means we got better.

Every pick is NOT going to be a STUD,you know this.

I have no issue with what Mike said about evaluating players.

It's True,you know it's true and you know it's time to do so.

You can't build a Team in 3 years.

You can't keep the same guys on the field who don't perform.

Why is it so hard for anyone to have any patience these days?

We all expect discipline and we all say I expect accountability and yet when it happens you go...........

Oh,NO WAIT I didn't mean me,I DIDN'T mean for us?

Are you serious?

We all said it was going to take time.

But yet your definition of TIME is 2 years? (remember year 1 is a gimme)

We all said how BAD we were.and how HARD it was going to be to right the ship.

But yet you have no patience to see it through.

Actually I think it's the best thing he could say. Put the players on notice that they are playing for their futures and that nobody is safe. The moment losing becomes acceptable or expected people start to get comfortable in that. Shanny's doing the right thing letting these tools know that it's going to be boots-to-butts.

I don't think anyone is accepting losing. I have no problem with coaches calling people out, but you need to follow through and make change if and where it is needed. Just saying it then doing nothing to change is not a good thing. I hope he does evaluate, both players and coaches and make changes as needed. To this point everyone has been safe (unless you are a kicker).

I look for him to make a statement today that expands a bit. He can and should expect some tough questions. It is important that he answers them and does not just fall vack to the "I need to look at the tape" rhetoric.

Hail

You always post this same tired line - patience, patience, patience. Please tell me, when's the winning going to start? Why should the fans be patient with a proven failure like Shanahan? This team is headed for its third 10+ loss season in a row under Shanahan, and all you can say is "stay the course!' No one should be patient with failure.

Agree, I've been as patient as anyone the last couple of years. I've been willing to give Shanahan his entire 5 years with the understanding that we'd improve. I didn't expect a playoff or super bowl this year, but what I did expect is MORE wins and improvement. All I've seen are MORE losses and degression along with excuses.

his comments are definitely bothering, but i still want to give him the full 5 years of his contract. don't ask me why, but I want to ride it out with him. haslett on the other hand...

---------- Post added November-5th-2012 at 09:57 AM ----------

He was obviously evaluating Brandon Banks last game and I think I came to the conclusion that he'll be gone next season.

if we can find depth for another position, banks should be gone after the bye

We're worse this year, then the first 2 years combined under him. I see no improvement "anywhere" on this team.

Uhhhhhh

2010: 25th in points: 18th in yards

2011: 26th in points, 16th in yards

2012: 8th in points, 6th in yards (with 2nd string RT, 3rd and 4th WRs starting, 3rd string TE starting, depleted RB depth)

The WL record is worse because the defense took a dive, simple as that. The offense was always going to hit a wall at some point in the season, especially with a depleted talent base. RGIII just got our hopes up too quickly.

The only Mike Shanahan that even remotely deserves to be fired is "Shanahan the personnel guy" and maybe the guys he drafted like Hankerson and Robinson and co look better with time - they wouldn't be the first WRs to look like crap early then break out year 3. There are some things I dislike about our coaching on offense, but those are details, not the whole story.

Really? "Everyone knew" that this team was going to have a decent average and still fail to win games? I think what we all knew as that a rookie QB doesn't win many football games but that got turned on it's head when the rookie turned out far better than expected. RG3's success increased the pressure on Shanahan. Perhaps that isn't fair but it's hard to claim the team should be no better despite far improved QB play in this league.

After 9 games:

2010 4-5 (6-10)

2011 3-6 (5-11)

2012 3-6

Agreed. New head coach Pete Carroll and their "rookie" QB have turned the Seahawks around. The leagues worst team, the Colts without their "rookie" head coach and their "rookie" QB are now 5-3 and he's taken over as the best rookie QB. The Buccaneers seem to be doing fine with their "rookie" head coach and are past rebuilding. MIami and their "rookie" head coach and QB are winning.

Why can't we win? Why can't we enjoy the same successes? What kind of curse do we have on us? Why is it taking us so long to put a winner on the field?

The more I listen/read Mike Shanahan's statements in context I wonder if he attempt (albeit failed attmept) was to set up an alibi against poor play for the rest of the season.

Maybe Mike realizes (once again during his tenure) that this team is not as good as he thought?

The fact of the matter is that if a team cannot beat a 1-6 team at home in a "must win game" then the outlook for the rest of the season is bleak.

If Mike meant anything from his statement (which he might not at all) then we should seen some major line-up changes right?

Then if the team struggles he can say well we struggled because we're trying out players and trying to build for the future.

Judging from how docile the media has been with Mike he probably thought he could toss that out there and they would accept it like the accepted a bunch of his other outlandish statements.

You can't build a Team in 3 years.

Why is it so hard for anyone to have any patience these days?

We all expect discipline and we all say I expect accountability and yet when it happens you go...........

Oh,NO WAIT I didn't mean me,I DIDN'T mean for us?

Are you serious?

We all said it was going to take time.

But yet your definition of TIME is 2 years? (remember year 1 is a gimme)

We all said how BAD we were.and how HARD it was going to be to right the ship.

But yet you have no patience to see it through.

Miami, Seattle, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis have all improved in less than 3 years. Shall I go on with more examples? Again, I was not expecting a playoff berth, but I expected improvement and there is ZERO improvement with this team.

Thank-You!

It does take 5 years.

And in our case it may require 7+ years.

In 7+ years, 90 percent of the players drafted in the first two years of the Shanny regime will be out of football.

An NFL team can be turned around in 2 years. It can go from last place to Super Bowl within 3. We are a disaster.

---------- Post added November-5th-2012 at 11:09 AM ----------

If Mike meant anything from his statement (which he might not at all) then we should seen some major line-up changes right?

This is stupid. It's a 45-man roster with a pretty big injured list. What lineup changes can you realistically make?

Uhhhhhh

2010: 25th in points: 18th in yards

2011: 26th in points, 16th in yards

2012: 8th in points, 6th in yards (with 2nd string RT, 3rd and 4th WRs starting, 3rd string TE starting, depleted RB depth)

The WL record is worse because the defense took a dive, simple as that. The offense was always going to hit a wall at some point in the season, especially with a depleted talent base. RGIII just got our hopes up too quickly.

Whooptee do dah day. Maybe I should do a cartwheel. And yet we still lose. Winning is the only thing that counts. Dallass had a defense in the top 5 of every statistical category last year and where did that get them. So you found a couple of stats that we've actually improved on. Congratulations. Too bad everything else has gotten worse.

Archived