Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fletcher's condition, reminds me of Samuels...

Zarg

With the relatively short time London has been here, he has quickly become the face and heart of this Redskins organization. I feel when you are drafted by whatever organization, you have a better chance of being the "FACE" of that organization. Not so with London, WHEN he goes to Canton what team will he enter with? Rams? Buffalo? Redskins? I'm racking my brain (pretty easy to do after my years in college :40oz:) to find another free agent that has really taken over the team as a leader after being taken via free agency the way Fletch has....

Now, with this balance issue. I can't help but remember the way things went down with Chris Samuels. I was at the game in Charlotte when he was injured and could not hear any updates or comments from the sidelines. I don't remember them carting him off with the neck injury. But when I hear about the balance issue with Fletch, I flashback and think back to Samuels.... and pray he's okay.

HTTR

Sonny J was a free agent who is still regarded as one of our franchise faces. Yet, Fletch is a special kind of guy, leading by example and considered a true leader.

You are a little bit older than me, but Sonny vs. Billy was a big issue so I don't see him actually being the FACE of the franchise. But you are right... Sonny was a good pickup and one of the all time Skins of course.

I feel like what you're describing is more common than you think.

Brett Favre was drafted and played for the Falcons, but became the face of the Packers

Drew Brees was drafted and played for the Chargers, but became the face of the Saints

Jared Allen was drafted and played for the Chiefs, but became the face of the Vikings defense

Those are just few off the top of my head, but I would bet that fans of every franchise have an extremely beloved player who joined the team via free agency.

Ken Harvey was an absolute monster.

6'2" 273 lbs... This guy BROUGHT it. One of my all-time favorite Redskins. He and London would have been great to see playing together :)

Wow I had no idea that Harvey was 273 pounds. I had to double check the stat as I was sure it was a typo. I remember him being well muscled, but I would have guessed 240-ish.

*edit- after checking a few other sites, he's listed at 237 lbs. Much closer to what I had remembered

I agree with the OP, but if a player is traded early enough in their careers, they can become "career" players for other teams. Santana Moss, London Fletcher, and Clinton Portis are examples for our own B&G.

I'd be willing to bet anyone a box of Krispy Kreme dougnuts that Mr. Fletcher is on the field come Sunday. Starting as usual. :)

When it's time to finally hang up his cleats, I for one would love to see fletcher become a linebacker coach. I deffenitly can see he become a d co-ordinator one day as well.

But for now I hope he keeps helping the other linebackers and hope we at least draft another ilb in the draft as well.

I'm worried about London beyond his playing career. Balance problems are the first stage of a wide array of horrific degenerative diseases like Parkinson's or ALS. Given that they must have been able to rule out inner-ear problems by now, the best case scenario is that this is "merely" a concussion.

The consecutive game streak is in jeopardy for sure, and that in itself is a big bummer. It is an amazing feat for a LB his age to have never missed a game. There is a good chance his iron-man streak comes to an end this weekend, considering he is nursing a hurt hamstring and has some kind of balance problem for which he had to see a neurologist.

There has not been much word on the severity of either injury, so I am hoping we see him back on the field soon. Our defense already has enough guys missing and enough problems without losing a guy like Fletch. I know we cannot count on the guy forever, but I am hoping for a couple more years from him.

Wow I had no idea that Harvey was 273 pounds. I had to double check the stat as I was sure it was a typo. I remember him being well muscled, but I would have guessed 240-ish.

*edit- after checking a few other sites, he's listed at 237 lbs. Much closer to what I had remembered

Haha, isn't it great how information is so different from site to site? I thought he was around 250 or so. Then I saw that number on wiki and another site (270) and I was completely caught off guard. I just checked other sites too. Around 240 pounds. Funny how different information is :ols:

Haha, isn't it great how information is so different from site to site? I thought he was around 250 or so. Then I saw that number on wiki and another site (270) and I was completely caught off guard. I just checked other sites too. Around 240 pounds. Funny how different information is :ols:

....but, but it was on the internet. It MUST be true. I was also surprised to read the era in which he played. I "remembered" him being around in the mid-late 80s, so I was wrong about that. He wasn't even playing for the Cardinals until the late 80s

I feel like what you're describing is more common than you think.

Brett Favre was drafted and played for the Falcons, but became the face of the Packers

Drew Brees was drafted and played for the Chargers, but became the face of the Saints

Jared Allen was drafted and played for the Chiefs, but became the face of the Vikings defense

Those are just few off the top of my head, but I would bet that fans of every franchise have an extremely beloved player who joined the team via free agency.

There was also some guy by the name of Riggins that after leaving the Jets went on to have a rather successful carrer with another team. :)

Don't forget about Ken Harvey his impact on the Redskins was just a pronounced as London's. Fletcher is fine I think the only worry would be his consecutive game streak.

Yup - I've always loved Ken Harvey's play! I remember meeting him once in person - I know NFL players are huge, but dude is built like a tank. .... Would be tough to see London's streak end, but obviously, getting healthy is the main focus. OMG just has to rise up again if London can't roll.

Archived