Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Eagles Twitter : Juan Castillo Fired.

Unforgiven

From the Eagles official twitter feed (@Eagles)

#Eagles have dismissed Juan Castillo and have named Todd Bowles defensive coordinator.

---------- Post added October-16th-2012 at 09:37 AM ----------

Andy Reid: “We’re six games into the season and average isn’t good enough. I know the potential of our team and insist on maximizing it.”

#Eagles Live! will air at 11:30 AM this morning as Andy Reid will be made available to discuss the promotion of Todd Bowles.

You guys realize that this is a "save my own ass" move, correct?

Absolutely.

The eagles defense is in the top half of the league in both points and yards allowed.

Meanwhile, the offense is moving the ball okay, but is 31st in points per game.

Reid should have fired himself.

Sounds like Reid may be on the hot seat and needs to look like he is proactively trying to fix the problems. The problem is - his offensive playcalling is terrible. They abandon the run far too often and get all pass happy. Gotta have balance, Andy.

It's one of the most amazing things going on this season. He;s always been like that, even with McNabb. I simply do not understand it. Their o-line has struggled in pass pro. They have one of the best running backs in all of football, and they have a QB that can run. Why not take advantage of that, and limit Vick's passing attempts, which is ridiculous to begin with, because he isn't a consistently accurate passer (which you would have to be to run that style of offense at a high level)? He has lived by that 60/40 pass ratio, and it will ultimately be his undoing.

Absolutely.

The eagles defense is in the top half of the league in both points and yards allowed.

The points allowed is particularly good considering how often Vick turns over the ball in game.

Absolutely.

Or changed his QB who is a walking turnover machine this year hence the low points scoring - but he can't do that as benching Vick for a rookie almost certainly takes away any shot they have at a deep playoff run which is what I think Reid needs to have to keep his job for next year.

It's one of the most amazing things going on this season. He;s always been like that, even with McNabb. I simply do not understand it. Their o-line has struggled in pass pro. They have one of the best running backs in all of football, and they have a QB that can run. Why not take advantage of that, and limit Vick's passing attempts, which is ridiculous to begin with, because he isn't a consistently accurate passer (which you would have to be to run that style of offense at a high level)? He has lived by that 60/40 pass ratio, and it will ultimately be his undoing.

Because, if he lets Vick run, he'll get creamed. Then they'll have to go with Foles for the rest of the season and a team with playoff/superbowl aspirations won't start a rookie. But I see your point, just pointing out why Reid may not want Vick running.

Because, if he lets Vick run, he'll get creamed. Then they'll have to go with Foles for the rest of the season and a team with playoff/superbowl aspirations won't start a rookie. But I see your point, just pointing out why Reid may not want Vick running.

Well I mean just running in general. And yeah, benching him would pretty much be waving the white flag, but I think they could utilize McCoy more. Vick just simply cannot get it done right now, and is just turning over the rock like mad. They have to try something different, even if Vick remains the starter. I think Reid's stuck now though, and it's all his fault. Getting rid of his D coordinator is a straight up panic move.

This is a surprising move, but only because Andy Reid doesn't normally react this way in-season. That being said, it's a no brainer, IMO. I believe he wanted Spags during the offseason, but couldn't get him. As crappy as the OL & Vick have played, two weeks in a row they've been leading late in the 4th quarter, only to give up the lead and lose the game. The defense, IMO, is stacked (except @ safety) and should be more dominant than they currently are.

Reid knows it's going to be a struggle to score points this year. McCoy is getting no holes for running with the loss of Peters & Kelce and that allows defenses to apply more pressure on Vick. So, IMO, Reid knows their defense needs to carry them, and with Castillo at the controls that wasn't going to happen.

PF

---------- Post added October-16th-2012 at 10:19 AM ----------

I don't think their defense is the problem this year. Their problem is Vick and Reid.

Defense is definitely a problem, just not as big a problem as their OL, then Vick, then Reid. Reid's biggest problem was promoting Castillo in the first place.

Archived