Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Obama vs. Romney: Round 2- The Hofstra University Town Hall debate

88Comrade2000

Not at all. I just think that Mitt has been successful in getting things done in his life. I don't view him as set in his ways as I think Obama is.
Well, of course your opinion of Romney is different from your opinion of Obama. I'm pretty sure that most Obama supporters don't look at Romney the way that you do either. I'm just saying that the optimistic view you have of a possible Romney Presidency is very similar to the optimistic view of Obama supporters in 2008 (or of many other campaigns in the past). But the reality of Washington tends to make it much harder to get things done, despite any past successes of the candidate. Every President has an accomplished past, and every President meets challenges in the White House that are more difficult than their supporters expected.

But then, that's just an opinion. (Based on seeing this dance, before.)

I think that's my biggest issue; the completely and utter unwillingness to change based on any sort of historical presidence.

And it's a part of the party's intellectual dishonesty; how many people in Washington actually believe that doing the same thing that keeps proving itself to be unsuccessful will suddenly work?

Mitt Romney's whole pitch for this scheme basically amounts to "Hey, I know it didn't work before, but trust me, even though every feasible measure of my plan says that it doesn't work, it'll still work!". And Republicans buy it, because their either 1.) woefully ignorant or 2.) willingly ignorant.

Can't be less aggressive, can he?

Is he just out of his league? I mean, we all know he does very well when he's working from a script (not just a teleprompter) but within a setting when he's not forced to go off his message. I'm not just trying to pan him, I'd like to see a good debate from both of them. Don't know exactly how well the whole town hall set up really works.

Is he just out of his league? I mean, we all know he does very well when he's working from a script (not just a teleprompter) but within a setting when he's not forced to go off his message. I'm not just trying to pan him, I'd like to see a good debate from both of them. Don't know exactly how well the whole town hall set up really works.

No, we don't all know that. You and other conservatives assume that because it better serves the "Obama is an empty suit and kind of aloof" narrative.

Also, show me a politician that ISN'T better working off a script. I can think of one; Clinton. Everyone else? Not so much...

C'mon... Obama is "out of his league" with Romney? I just said he can't be less aggressive than he was in the first debate. Can he?

C'mon... Obama is "out of his league" with Romney? I just said he can't be less aggressive than he was in the first debate. Can he?

Well, if you watched that first debate it's not unreasonable to think he might be out of his league. He got his *** handed to him all night long. I'm just interested to see what he does differently. Like I said, if Obama works from a script he can do ok, if not, well we'll have to see.

---------- Post added October-16th-2012 at 02:05 PM ----------

No, we don't all know that. You and other conservatives assume that because it better serves the "Obama is an empty suit and kind of aloof" narrative.

Also, show me a politician that ISN'T better working off a script. I can think of one; Clinton. Everyone else? Not so much...

Ah yes, only Clinton can work off the top of his head.

---------- Post added October-16th-2012 at 02:03 PM ----------

Ah yes, only Clinton can work off the top of his head.

Romney made a ton of money because he was very competent. He saved the olympics because he was very competent. He made deals with D's in Mass because he was competent. It's very possible that he's totally out of Obama's league. It's also possible that Obama finds his mojo tonight and changes the course of the election again. I wouldn't discard either possibility.

Yes, I'll agree---Mitt Romney was very successful was great at dismantling companies, putting Americans our of work, outsourcing jobs over seas and making a huge profit.

He also dealt out 800 vetoes in his time as governor that his Democratic legislature had to then override. Yay for working with Democrats.

And he's awesome at dodging paying taxes on his obscene amount of wealth.

Yup. Mitt's successful all right. Much more than Obama. What did that guy ever do?

Yes, I'll agree---Mitt Romney was very successful was great at dismantling companies, putting Americans our of work, outsourcing jobs over seas and making a huge profit.

I think this is what I find lacking in posts like this one. You sketch his entire tenure in business as being a simple 'zero sum' equation. He outsourced you cry! But you neglect to mention the companies which he built (or turned around) in the U.S. which employed Americans. The fat cat businessman is such an easy picture to paint for some people.

I think this is what I find lacking in posts like this one. You sketch his entire tenure in business as being a simple 'zero sum' equation. He outsourced you cry! But you neglect to mention the companies which he built (or turned around) in the U.S. which employed Americans. The fat cat businessman is such an easy picture to paint for some people.

Oh I'll admit he turned some companies around, and he's to be somewhat commended by him. I'm sure he's a job creator on some level.

That doesn't change that I think he's a scummy guy, and that while he's been successful in business, he's largely done so on the backs of others, and done so in less-than-Presidential ways.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/16/hofstra-debate-jill-stein-arrested-green-party_n_1971960.html?utm_hp_ref=elections-2012

Green Party presidential candidate Jill Stein was arrested outside of Hofstra University on Tuesday after attempted to enter debate grounds.

According to Stein's campaign press statement, Stein and running mate Cheri Honkala joined supporters outside the Hofstra campus at 2pm, where Stein declared, "We are here to bring the courage of those excluded from our politics to this mock debate, this mockery of democracy." When they started to walk onto the debate grounds, they were stopped by police officers, and then the two women sat down on the ground.

Student-run news organization Long Island Report posted a video of Stein and Honkala sitting, with an officer arguing, "You're blocking traffic." After Honkala stated, "We want to practice our first amendment rights," the police can been seen removing the women from the ground and leading them away.

According to the campaign, Stein and Honkala were then arrested. Press contact Glenn Turner confirmed to HuffPost that Stein was arrested and as of early Tuesday evening was still in jail, charged with disorderly conduct.

Good on Jill Stein for taking a stand against this farce.

Be grateful to live in a country where there's still an illusion of having a choice of farce. Some places don't enjoy that illusion and don't even have a flavor variety for their farce. :pfft:

Be grateful to live in a country where there's still an illusion of having a choice of farce. Some places don't enjoy that illusion and don't even have a flavor variety for their farce. :pfft:

Wise words, Jumbo; but as an American, I've been spoiled and I want the real thing. I know, I'm a real glutton. :D

Archived