Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Your opionion: Will Griffin play this Sunday?

RG3toMonk

I put the odds of Griffin playing at about 1 in 4.

That hit was vicious. He got his brain rattled pretty good. Definitely a concussion (and there is nothing minor about those). He was out cold for a few seconds, and later he could not remember the score or what quarter it was. I'm no doctor, but my feeling is to play it safe with him, as he also had a concussion last season at Baylor.

I might hold him until after the bye week just to be on the safe side, as the risk of recurrence is much greater if you rush a guy back. The league is being very careful with these things, and the 'skins should also be very careful with their franchise player as well.

Given all that I think the odds are pretty low of him playing, but I do think there is an outside chance because he says he expects to play and the 'skins are so much better with him. I cannot wait to see him back, but I hope we are sure he is healthy first.

I put the odds of Griffin playing at about 1 in 4.

That hit was vicious. He got his brain rattled pretty good. Definitely a concussion (and there is nothing minor about those). He was out cold for a few seconds, and later he could not remember the score or what quarter it was. I'm no doctor, but my feeling is to play it safe with him, as he also had a concussion last season at Baylor.

I might hold him until after the bye week just to be on the safe side, as the risk of recurrence is much greater if you rush a guy back. The league is being very careful with these things, and the 'skins should also be very careful with their franchise player as well.

Given all that I think the odds are pretty low of him playing, but I do think there is an outside chance because he says he expects to play and the 'skins are so much better with him. I cannot wait to see him back, but I hope we are sure he is healthy first.

I put the odds at about 97% that he does play based on what little has been said of the situation. There's something to be said for playing it safe but I think he'll pass the tests he needs to pass and once that happens there really won't be any keeping him off the field.

He took a good lick to the jaw....like a boxer...... it will cause you to briefly blackout due to a pinched nerve under the jaw. I'll wager he wasn;t concussed at all.

Never heard of this. It did look like he took it in the chin though. Anybody else know if this is a real possibility?

Never heard of this. It did look like he took it in the chin though. Anybody else know if this is a real possibility?

Yeah... I'm going to go out on a limb here and label that one as either outdated bull**** or a misunderstanding of something closer to the truth. Generally when you lose consciousness because of a blow to the head it's because your brain has impacted against your skull due to the sudden acceleration. If nerves are involved in the equation at all, they're probably not located under the jaw but at the back of the head. The only thing that I can think of that would probably cause you to pass out without involving some brain trauma in that situation would be if you were somehow able to disrupt blood flow... but that usually requires a choke out or something a little more prolonged and would have to be targeted to the neck. I'm no doctor, though, I just play one on ES.

That said, it's not necessarily a concussion if you lose consciousness... but Griffin was clearly demonstrating concussion symptoms when he re-gained consciousness, so I think it's pretty clear what happened.

I'm no neurologist, but when someone doesn't know what quarter it is, not long after come out after half-time; I'd say it was far more serious than a temporary blackout from a good lick.

Hail.

Yeah... I'm going to go out on a limb here and label that one as either outdated bull**** or a misunderstanding of something closer to the truth. Generally when you lose consciousness because of a blow to the head it's because your brain has impacted against your skull due to the sudden acceleration. If nerves are involved in the equation at all, they're probably not located under the jaw but at the back of the head. The only thing that I can think of that would probably cause you to pass out without involving some brain trauma in that situation would be if you were somehow able to disrupt blood flow... but that usually requires a choke out or something a little more prolonged and would have to be targeted to the neck. I'm no doctor, though, I just play one on ES.

That said, it's not necessarily a concussion if you lose consciousness... but Griffin was clearly demonstrating concussion symptoms when he re-gained consciousness, so I think it's pretty clear what happened.

Ah okay. This is more in line with what I was thinking.

It's a good sign that he hasn't had any headaches or nausea and let's hope it stays that way. The scary thing about brain injuries is that they could take weeks, months, or years to manifest. So, even if he makes it through this week with no problems, it doesn't necessarily mean he's out of the woods. But you can't hold a guy out indefinitely for what might happen.

That was a textbook concussion shot that he took. The way his head snapped violently to the side is exactly how most concussions in the NFL happen.

Even if he is "cleared" I want him to sit.

Start Kirk or Rex

Just a precaution.

Why?

This injury needs to be taken as seriously as all other injuries, but if RG3 is given 100% medical clearance to play, the Redskins don't need to wrap him in lamb's wool just for the sake of doing it.

If he is cleared, he'll play, and he should.

Why?

This injury needs to be taken as seriously as all other injuries, but if RG3 is given 100% medical clearance to play, the Redskins don't need to wrap him in lamb's wool just for the sake of doing it.

If he is cleared, he'll play, and he should.

Agreed. The doctors are not going to let him on the field unless he passes all the tests, is given full clearance and can perform without limitations. I think it is a misconception people have that he is more likely to suffer a concussion since it just happened but i posted an article earlier concerning Aaron Rodgers and how that is false

LOL at the 22 year "Old Curmudgeon" lamenting on how soft we've gotten as a society.

Haha, I'd barely use "curmudgeon", I personally think it's a bit funny, but at the same time hope my brain isn't liquified because of it or anything like society suggests :).

I personally, think it has a lot to do with modern day society's health paranoia. It could be compared to obsession with mold, asbestos, and lead paint. They're hazardous, but they aren't anthrax, though sometimes you would think they were. Concussions, common sense, are not good. A human's brain hitting the side of his skull so hard that he drools and asks when he get's to pet the tiger can't be a good thing, but I have my doubts on how long term it really is, and how much punishment and repeated incidents have to occur to do any serious damage. But I'm also not a doctor.

I hope all things work out so he can play...don't want him coming back too soon...hopefully the docs will err on the side of caution and if he's well enough they will give him the green light...if there's any question in the docs minds,,he should sit...I'd rather have him the rest of the season than to have him in 1 game and lost for the season....

Going to my only 'Skins game of the year this Sunday with the wife. Bought these tickets in hopes to see you know who under center. As my luck would have it, he gets a concussion and we not only lose the Falcons game because of it; but I might not get to seem him play.

What your thought? Will he play Sunday?

I'm thinking positive. HTR :helmet:

I hope he plays, I am have got quite a journey to make this game.

I agree we have to be cautious with the whole concussion thing but i am also concerned about him coming back too late and comming back scarred . I doubt that would happen he has been through these things before and I am sure he knows how to come back ..

One thing I did find interesting is how missunderstood concussions are and how poorly we are able to determine if anyone is actually recovered from a concusion at all .

I did come accross an interesting article on the net here “Alteration of brain functional network at rest and in response to YMCA physical stress test in concussed athletes: RsFMRI study.” S.M. Slobounov, M. Gay, K. Zhang, B. Johnson, D. Pennell, W. Sebastianelli, S. Horovitz, M. Hallett. NeuroImage, April 15, 2011, Vol. 55(4), pp. 1716-27.

Agreed. The doctors are not going to let him on the field unless he passes all the tests, is given full clearance and can perform without limitations. I think it is a misconception people have that he is more likely to suffer a concussion since it just happened but i posted an article earlier concerning Aaron Rodgers and how that is false

Can you post this article again? Because you are more likely to get a second concussion if you are still under the affects of a first concussion.

Second Impact Syndrome is exactly this, and it can lead to permanent brain damage. No way should RG3 play this week. A week isn't enough time.

This.

RG3 already said that he's certain he'll pass the cognitive tests and play, but I'm concerned nonetheless.

Exactly. Call it being overly-protective, or using "kid gloves", but I'd rather we wait too long, than not long enough to get him back on the field. This season is very likely nothing more than a practice run for next year and beyond. Missing a game or two may help him focus on making better decisions with his body out there, and it can't make things much worse in the standings.

...also, maybe Cousins lights it up for a game or two, and we can get our Cassel/Kolb-type trade moving forward.

Can you post this article again? Because you are more likely to get a second concussion if you are still under the affects of a first concussion.

Second Impact Syndrome is exactly this, and it can lead to permanent brain damage. No way should RG3 play this week. A week isn't enough time.

I agree. Let the guy rest and get healthy. The bye is coming up soon with the real meat of the season. We need Robert as healthy as possible for the end run. Also, his health is way more important for the long term rather than short term. Please, do not risk bringing him back to soon. Concussions are serious business. This team should make a statement about player health and let him ride the pine for one week.

They will have an independent neurosurgeon run tests. If there is any doubt he will sit, if he is passed healthy following in depth testing - and therefore no longer suffering from the effects of the first concussion - he will play. The team will not have a choice if he does not pass the tests.

I'm pretty sure Shanny said Robert never blacked out or lost consciousness unlike Aldrick who was out for 1.5 minutes the week before. Said Robert knew the score and quarter when he initially came off the field. It wasn't until a few minutes later he couldn't remember those things.

that's a good argument...+1

---------- Post added October-9th-2012 at 10:11 AM ----------

I would be surprised if he plays. He is the franchise and concussions are nothing to mess with. It is not like we are going to the playoffs this year. His health is more important than this game. Showcase cousins, have him have a great day then trade him in the off season for some picks.

that's a good argument...+1 (maybe I got the post right this time...sigh)

Archived