Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who are possible replacements for Cundiff? (My vote: Kai Forbath) Edit: Kai signs with team!

BruinSkin

What is the point of a positional coach if he can't teach and improve the players under his charge?

Surely if your working with kickers day in, day out; you should be seeing things in their mechanics that if off, you'd be able to correct with practice for one. I don't know, I'm not a ST Coach. But I'd be very disappointed if kcikers, like any other player, were just allowed to go out there and do their own thing. Maybe continuing with bad habits they'd picked up from being young.

Hail.

Suisham is actually the most successful kicker we ever had' date=' Something like 82% success rate.[/quote']

Yeah, he just missed kicks at tghe worst possible moments.

---------- Post added October-9th-2012 at 10:20 AM ----------

Have we ever had a successful kicker?

Mark Mosley, Chip Lohmiller and we once had David Akers but we released him.

What is the point of a positional coach if he can't teach and improve the players under his charge?

Surely if your working with kickers day in, day out; you should be seeing things in their mechanics that if off, you'd be able to correct with practice for one. I don't know, I'm not a ST Coach. But I'd be very disappointed if kcikers, like any other player, were just allowed to go out there and do their own thing. Maybe continuing with bad habits they'd picked up from being young.

Hail.

Ring. That. Bell.

The dude is terrible. I don't know how he still has a job. But that's beyond me.

I'm rooting for this young kid Forbath as well though. Something to build upon for the future.

This could just be my ignorance, but do ST coaches really coach the kickers on how to execute their kicks? I know that they tell them how to kick off and are responsible with blocking/coverage schemes. But I can't imagine that someone like Danny Smith really pulls aside our kickers and steps through the fundamentals of kicking FGs. Each kicker is so unique and (usually) quirky that it would seem to be a difficult task.

i guess its the same way coaches try to tweak qb's throwing motions and footwork. id like to see danny smith try to kick a fg that would be hilarious

Just to give some perspective on this if you asked for names of successful Redskins kickers I think two names that would come up would be Mark Moseley and Chip Lohmiller. Moseley had one year - 82 - when he was All World apart from that he was very hit and miss. He was a career 65% kicker. Lohmiller was more consistent than Moseley but never had a year like '82 - he was a career 70% kicker. I guess at least I think of these guys as good kickers because they made some big kicks in big games and played on Championship teams.

I really dont think we have ever had a real top kicker here. Its time we lucked into one!

It looks like the only only concern with Forbath is his kickoffs not resulting in touchbacks..

I don't know the numbers of an offenses scoring when starting from the 20 or between the 21 and 35 yardline. I can't imagine they are greater than us having a kicker with less than 75% field goal percentage. If he can't kick touchbacks, then just freaking squib a line drive right down the middle and get it to hit at the 15 yard line. Maybe it takes some good bounces and it causes the return man to bobble it a few times before picking it up. I can't imagine the ball would hit down the middle and roll 35 yards to a sideline.

I don't know the numbers of an offenses scoring when starting from the 20 or between the 21 and 35 yardline. I can't imagine they are greater than us having a kicker with less than 75% field goal percentage. If he can't kick touchbacks, then just freaking squib a line drive right down the middle and get it to hit at the 15 yard line. Maybe it takes some good bounces and it causes the return man to bobble it a few times before picking it up. I can't imagine the ball would hit down the middle and roll 35 yards to a sideline.

Coach up the kick coverage unit and roll with it. I'd rather have a guy that can make his FGs than a guy that gets touchbacks. Cuz it seems we can't have both.

---------- Post added October-9th-2012 at 01:07 PM ----------

Gano was also scheduled to try out today but his visit was cancelled per 980

And I wonder what that was about. Maybe Gano thought about it some more and told them to kick rocks.

Archived