Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

After four games, let's reexamine the schedule shall we?

abdcskins

Looking at the schedule truly is pointless. So many things could happen. Teams have injuries at key positions and start to slide. Teams who are playing poorly go on a run. Maybe teams look at their schedules and see us on there and think, "ugh, don't want to play them right now"?

Honestly, it's more about us than any other team right now. We know our issues. If we can solve the secondary and play better at Safety as well as be more consistent in our deep ball game offensively I think we can beat ANY team on our schedule. It's up to us.

If we can solve the secondary and play better at Safety as well as be more consistent in our deep ball game offensively I think we can beat ANY team on our schedule. It's up to us.

It really just comes down to calling the correct plays at critical moments in the game. The good teams do it. The mediocre teams have no perception of what that means.

Like I said before, I like this team. With RG3 anything is possible. The D will get its act together. I think there are some teams on that schedule that are not as good as we think. Right now, RG3 is the MVP of the NFL hands down and the Offense is not even at full tilt yet. Once the Offense gets humming, its game over.

I think as the seasons goes along the D will get better. We don’t need a top 10 D to be effective. We just need a D that can make stops in crucial moments. Rob J and Chris Wilson will get better and when Meriweather comes back he should be an upgrade. #91 is a Buck stud, and is going to lead this D.

I’m riding with my squad. HTTR!!!!!!

I have been shuddering to think what Romo sits to pee & those receivers may do to us (I know, but because it's Dallas and especially with a cowpie fan in my life these days (though he's a good guy and really knows football), it will suck extra for me if it goes that way).

What receivers? Dez can't catch a cold and Miles Austin has nearly disappeared. After that, Ogletree? Romo sits to pee seems to make plays, but I've never been scared of the Cowboys WR corps.

We have a tough schedule. Game planning is the key. Griffen needs to be aware of the opponents (players) weakness. He needs protection. We all can agree he is tough but this schedule is tough. Griffen can not take to many big hits. Watching what chicago did to dallas last night was enjoyable. Griffen's looks more comfortable now handing off.

What receivers? Dez can't catch a cold and Miles Austin has nearly disappeared. After that, Ogletree? Romo sits to pee seems to make plays, but I've never been scared of the Cowboys WR corps.

With a line already a man down, not to mention the teams best pure rusher gone for the season; and a secondary that can't cover consistently over 60 minutes for ****; how are you not scared of most ANY teams passing attack?

Let alone a high powered one like Dallas' when it's clicking.

Hail.

Via ESPN: Romo sits to pee is the NFL's only active QB with multiple 5 INT games. :D

Thats awesome, but the Briggs TD was really a caught fumble. The NFL never corrects things after the fact though like they should also do with Griffin's TD/fumble from Sunday. The NBA does it all the time even taking away triple doubles on occasion.

The NFL has a mindset of "if it doesn't change anything anyway, who cares." The same thing happened week 2 when Cutler threw his 4th INT against the Packers that was clearly dropped but it was a turnover on downs anyway so they basically said eh, oh well.

With a line already a man down, not to mention the teams best pure rusher gone for the season; and a secondary that can't cover consistently over 60 minutes for ****; how are you not scared of most ANY teams passing attack?

Hail.

The blind confidence people have on this board is quite amusing. They probably weren't afraid of the Rams WRs either. Or "if we just cover AJ Green who else with they throw too" type stuff the following week.

We can sweep the Cowboys this year for sure, but when they are on and Dez comes to play they are deadly. Against our secondary even if they aren't clicking they can still have big games. We need to be ready.

Edit: Though looking at their schedule last night, they could realistically be 3-5 or even 2-6 after their next 4 games if they play like they did the last 3 weeks. I would love to have them buried and out of it early or even have the chance to put that nail in the coffin on Thanksgiving.

At the start of the year, I had us at 5/6 wins.

After the injuries, the only games I'm somewhat confident of the W in are Cleveland and Carolina.

If we were to say lose Trent off the O-line, I shudder to think what sort of worse state we could be in.

Hail.

I don't understand how you can post that and also be so happy with the job Shanny is doing. Basically you are saying you had us pegged as a 5/6 win team when healthy. Now, with some injuries (contrary to popular belief our injuries are no more significant than other teams around the league) I assume you'd feel even worse.

My point is that in year three if you think the roster is in such shambles that losing a guy like Trent could dip us into 3-13 territory, then someone isn't doing their job.

Our rookie QB has been amazing; ditto the rookie RB. If those two are holdin the team together then what the heck else has Shanny done in three years?

I still contend that you are hedging your bets a bit to protect yourself emotionally from the damage this team normally inflicts on us :) I just don't understand how you can say you think we are heading in the right direction AND that you think we will be one of the worst teams in the league this year record-wise. In year three, the two don't compute.

I am holding Shanny accountable; so far this year, I am pleased. I don't expect us to beat Atlanta and unless we get embarrassed will not hold that game against him... He can only impress me by winning... House money. Then, much like TB, Minnesota will be a game I feel we should win and I will expect as much.

So to take that to it's last degree, let's say, in a wholly horrific hypothetical. we finish with 3 wins. Regressing in the W column in his third year.

Wouldn't that be time for him to go by your metric Klease man? You say you wouldn't be calling for his head, which I don't doubt. But by association to the lack of wins and not winning the games you think we should, shouldn't that be the final nail in the coffin?

Hail.

Romo sits to pee is above average, but not awesome. Sometimes, he extends plays and makes big plays out of nothing, but other times, he does really bone-headed stuff, and gives the game away. He could be Rex Grossman's twin.

The Cowboy's receivers are actually a below average group.

Miles Austin had two excellent seasons in 2009 and 2010, but has been very mediocre since. He's fast, but runs sloppy routes.

Dez Bryant SHOULD be awesome, given his physical tools, but his production has been well below average. He's lazy...and probably not the smatest guy either, given some of the stupid "off the field" stuff he's done.

Their leading receiver right now, Ogletree, is a scrub who just happens to be getting some easy balls because defenses don't pay much attention to him.

After these guys, they have some WRs who would be lucky to make the starting lineup at George Mason.

I hate to quote myself, but I wrote this before last nights game, and then each of the players I mentioned supported what I wrote. I'm not THIS right very often, so I felt the need to point it out.

Romo sits to pee made a bone-headed forward pitch right to Lance Briggs.

Miles Austin ran a sloppy route that resulted in an interception

Dez Bryant, besides a lot of drops, ran a wrong route that resulted in a pick

Olgetree demonstrated his lack of skill by letting a pass bounce off his chest, straight up into the air for a pick.

I still contend that you are hedging your bets a bit to protect yourself emotionally from the damage this team normally inflicts on us I just don't understand how you can say you think we are heading in the right direction AND that you think we will be one of the worst teams in the league this year record-wise. In year three, the two don't compute.

I think looking at the roster and realizing that two years (not three) into a rebuild there are still some big holes that need to be addressed does not mean someone is having emotional problems. It's simply acknowledging what is. If you are unforgiving of the fact that those holes exist, and that we are in year two rather than three of our rebuild, and we should be better now than we are, call for Shanahan's head now. I won't complain.

If you want to pretend the team is more complete than it obviously is, well don't accuse other people of seeing what they want. :)

Ah, there are always some (and they can vary) who never disappoint in being disappointing. :)

makes me just wish i didn't even post such a simple and understandable (except for the "special bus" riders) comment .

anyway, as i said, i enjoyed seeing their debacle and obviously hope it's an ongoing malady. :)

after watching their embarrassment, though, i knew at least a few "after the fact" guys would show up to burble out a "critique."

and yeh, outside of here, the cowboy passing attack is widely regarded (get ready for the shockwave) as being both quite potent at times and yet can be worthless at other times with Romo sits to pee's choke/self-destruct factor and the wrs quite inconsistent, ya never know. guess which i was worried about with our pass D---the inconsistent (poorly performing) or the times they're on it?

we're 7-17 since 2010. :( I hate losing to the cowpies. and now I have someone I see daily to remind me how much. :mad:

ya'all do me a favor. read my actual first post and see it for what it was. i have to be here all week and if i get fed up with numbness this early i will buy an extra pair of of meany pants for next gameday :).

I remember way back when the schedule first came out and everyone was raving about how easy it was and with RGIII we had a good shot at the playoffs. I also remember me saying this schedule looked brutal.

Glad to see everyone agrees with me now. haha

It's way beyond bipolar how "death march" this place was, and many were totally frothing (including in the gameday thread right up until the end) and now we're quickly moving to ****eyed optimists. :pfft:

:point2sky:point2sky:point2sky:point2sky:point2sky:point2sky:point2sky:point2sky:point2sky:point2sky:point2sky

Hail.

Just don't think Dez has really ever been that good. He's had flashes, but overall just meh. Ogletree...nuff said. That leaves Miles Austin who has been consistently good but I don't feel like has done much this season. As long as we don't leave Hall in one on one coverage with Dez, we can cover these guys. Not to mention that we have consistently played the Cowboys close nearly every single game since 2005. In some games we just outplayed em and lost like last year at Washington. So all that considered, and then throwing in RG3. I believe we can beat the Cowboys. Twice.

---------- Post added October-2nd-2012 at 11:22 AM ----------

Ah, there are always some (and they can vary) who never disappoint in being disappointing. :)

makes me just wish i didn't even post such a simple and understandable (except for the "special bus" riders) comment .

anyway, as i said, i enjoyed seeing their debacle and obviously hope it's an ongoing malady. :)

after watching their embarrassment, though, i knew at least a few "after the fact" guys would show up to burble out a "critique."

and yeh, outside of here, the cowboy passing attack is widely regarded (get ready for the shockwave) as being both quite potent at times and yet can be worthless at other times with Romo sits to pee's choke/self-destruct factor and the wrs quite inconsistent, ya never know. guess which i was worried about with our pass D---the inconsistent (poorly performing) or the times they're on it?

we're 7-17 since 2010. :( I hate losing to the cowpies. and now I have someone I see daily to remind me how much. :mad:

ya'all do me a favor. read my actual first post and see it for what it was. i have to be here all week and if i get fed up with numbness this early i will buy an extra pair of of meany pants for next gameday :).

Calm down there bud, just pointing out something that even Cowboys fans I know say about their WR corps. Big hype, small results. I know our secondary has looked scary in coverage recently, but we always get up for the Cowboys. I have faith you'll be getting the last laugh with your friend this year.

So to take that to it's last degree, let's say, in a wholly horrific hypothetical. we finish with 3 wins. Regressing in the W column in his third year.

Wouldn't that be time for him to go by your metric Klease man? You say you wouldn't be calling for his head, which I don't doubt. But by association to the lack of wins and not winning the games you think we should, shouldn't that be the final nail in the coffin?

Hail.

Barring something drastic causing it, a 3-13 season this year would likely have me calling for Shanny to be fired, yes. Simply unnaceptable to me. The 5/6 win mark we've discussed before would leave me very disappointed and discouraged over what he's done here, but again barring something crazy, I'd almost certainly want him back in 2013.

If your 3-13 that means you are the worst team in the league give or take depending on the year. And if your rookie QB is outstanding as RG3 has been and you still go 3-13 that would be a signal to me that almost nothing else he's done is working.

---------- Post added October-2nd-2012 at 08:47 PM ----------

I think looking at the roster and realizing that two years (not three) into a rebuild there are still some big holes that need to be addressed does not mean someone is having emotional problems. It's simply acknowledging what is. If you are unforgiving of the fact that those holes exist, and that we are in year two rather than three of our rebuild, and we should be better now than we are, call for Shanahan's head now. I won't complain.

If you want to pretend the team is more complete than it obviously is, well don't accuse other people of seeing what they want. :)

We disagree a bit on whether to call it two or three years, but whatever.

I do not discount out weaknesses. What I am saying is that a well coached team (with a staff in their third year on the job) should be able overcome said weaknesses to a point where 7/9 wins occur.

I think because we focus so much on the skins that we fail to see other teams dealing with the same issues, yet finding ways to win.

We are weak in the secondary... Weaker than I thought we would be when I picked us to win 7/8 games. But our QB and RB are MUCH better than I thought as is our OL. The OL isn't nearly as weak as some say.. Hard to lead the league in rushing if your OL stinks. And with the exception of the Cincy game, the pocket has been fairly clean for RG3 this year.

Look around the league... The Eagles OL is in shambles; the Giants secondary is as bad as ours and they have more injuries there; Cowboys OL is a sieve. Packers gave up 8 sacks.... In one half. Cardinals are 4-0 with a QB that lost a competition to John Skelton and they can't run the ball either.

With the way the NFL is structured today, teams that don't have at least one glaring weakness will be the exception... Right now Houston looks like that team to me... MAYBE Atlanta, but minus Grimes their defense is pretty suspect and they get gashed by the run.

If you take our weaknesses and combine that with some injuries and youth at key spots, that is an understandable excuse for me to not be a 10 win playoff type team... But it is not good enough for me to accept a 5-11 season.

I like Shanny the GM... He has made some missteps, but I think we have talent here and only one area (DBs) that I consider a true weakness. I think he has a done a good job gathering parts.... I just think its time for him to coach them to some success... So far this year I am fine with where we are.

This schedule still looks hard to me. I have the Vikings, Panthers and Browns game as probable L's due to how our history has programmed me to think, and the games vs's the NFC East and Ravens/Steelers as toss ups. I am also concerned about what injuries we will have after all those division games back to back. That end of the schedule will tell us how tough this team is.

This schedule still looks hard to me. I have the Vikings, Panthers and Browns game as probable L's due to how our history has programmed me to think, and the games vs's the NFC East and Ravens/Steelers as toss ups. I am also concerned about what injuries we will have after all those division games back to back. That end of the schedule will tell us how tough this team is.

First of all, I wouldn't even look at those last four games right now....the key it GETTING to those games. If we enter the Ravens game in the mix in the playoff race, that would make me happy. In order to consider us "in the race" we'd need to be a minimum of 5-7 with 6-6 being much more likely. The reason I ignore those last four games right now is because we have no clue this early what those games may or may not mean to us and the teams we are playing. Maybe the Ravens are 10-2 and cruising at that point and don't take the game seriously? Or maybe they are in a dogfight for the division and bring the house? Maybe Philly is out of the race in week 16 and they turn to Foles to end the season? It's just hard to project exactly how difficult those final games will be until we know the scenerios.

Over the next 8 games, I'd say we have a pretty good idea of where motivations will be. Like everyone else, of those 8 games, the Vikings and Panthers games loom as the ones where we might be favored. Both of those teams are similar to us in terms of situation and we play them at home...types of games you must win if you want to hang around in the standings. If you win both of those games and split the 4 division games (a reasonable goal in my estimation) you have your 6 wins already...and just chalk up losses to the Falcons and Steelers.

The NFL is hard in general, I don't think our schedule is particularly daunting...again, the division is extremely overrated this year, as it was last year.

First of all, I wouldn't even look at those last four games right now....the key it GETTING to those games.

Good points. I guess for me, I would like to see more wins against teams that are equal to us (Vikings, Panthers), and I want to see how we match up in our division games. If the Skins do well against those teams then I will feel more confident that they can beat any team.

I also agree that you have to look at the schedule in segments. Maybe this thread is a little premature?

Archived