Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN Insider - Bill Polian: Why RG3 is a 'prototype' QB

Rypien1191

Why RG3 is a 'prototype' QB

The word is used falsely in assessing QBs, and RG3 is a perfect example why

Patrick McDermott/Getty ImagesIt's early, but RG3 appears to be exactly what the Redskins need.

What makes the prototypical quarterback? You might think GMs hold some universal vision in their minds, a vision that consists of a 6-foot-6, rock-solid guy with thunder in his throwing arm and powerful legs that can drag tacklers. Although that's certainly an appealing portrait, in all my years in the league I haven't seen Hercules at an NFL scouting combine.

Certain quarterbacks may be built better or have more physical than others, but when I think of the prototypical NFL quarterback, I think of traits that are a little less tangible.

I want a quarterback with fast eyes that can see a passing window and a fast, accurate arm that allows him to strike while it's open. I want a quarterback who can read defenses and process information under fire. I want a quarterback who can make the right play under duress and stay alive in the pocket, not just scramble downfield at the first sign of pressure. And ultimately I want a quarterback who will make a big play in clutch situations.

Those are the characteristics that matter in a winning NFL quarterback. Big arm? It's a plus but not a necessity. Big frame? Maybe he can take a little more contact. Pocket passer? Athletic scrambler? None of that matters much. You can win (or lose) with any of those traits. What makes the prototypical quarterback is the intangibles ... and how a team uses him.

When the best teams -- winning teams -- find a quarterback with quality intangibles, they tailor their offenses to what he does best. See, it's that convergence that creates the prototypical quarterback, not a scheme or set of traits alone. That's the jackpot. And after Week 1, it sure looks like the Redskins have hit that jackpot with Robert Griffin III. In their particular case, I believe they've found their "prototype" quarterback.

It's only one game, but Washington's rookie QB demonstrated some amazing talent in his NFL debut; he also showed that talent throughout the preseason, particularly the intangible variety. And Redskins coach Mike Shanahan seems to have a perfect handle on how to maximize his abilities. It looks like the start of a terrific marriage in D.C.

I can't say I was surprised by Griffin's physical prowess against the Saints. The bootleg pass back across the field, the touchdown pass to Pierre Garcon with the blitzing defender under his chin? Those were impressive plays, but if you watched RG3 at Baylor, you knew he was physically capable of that. It's part of the reason I've previously compared him to the great Steve Young. But the intangibles are what truly separate Griffin and why I believe that he'll be the best quarterback Washington has seen in a long time.

What impressed me most about Griffin in Week 1 was his poise and mental discipline in a loud and excited Superdome -- a road venue I consider the toughest in the league. He didn't blink in a hostile environment and never showed any nerves.

Off the field I have been very impressed by RG3's intellect, and on the field I love the way that he thinks the game; you can see his ability to process. Griffin is a quarterback who happens be an athlete. That's not always the case for super-speedy, playmaking quarterbacks, and it makes a difference. Griffin manages the game, works his progressions and, even when he breaks out of the pocket, looks to pass first.

Quarterbacks who just tuck the ball and run don't maintain that dual threat and eliminate the possibility of finding a receiver as the defense turns its attention to the mobile quarterback. By keeping his eyes downfield, Griffin keeps the defense off balance and its attention divided. If it starts to shift one way or the other, he can make the optimal read and burn it with either his strong arm or his foot speed. He did this a few times Sunday, and it shows both his understanding of his role and a comfort level in the Redskins' offense.

Previously I discussed how RG3 fits perfectly into Mike Shanahan's West Coast scheme. On Sunday we saw exactly why, but we also saw that Shanahan had a terrific plan to help his quarterback succeed and how he has shaped his offense to suit Griffin. Shanahan has incorporated some of Baylor's playbook, including more shotgun and pistol formations, to increase RG3's comfort level. Moreover, he's eased his quarterback into the NFL.

On Sunday, Griffin's first six passes were low-risk, confidence-building tosses behind the line of scrimmage that allowed the rookie to establish a rhythm and cement himself into the basics of the West Coast offense. They looked simple but weren't spoon-fed, which I'll get to. On the seventh, he connected with Pierre Garcon for a touchdown. It was a terrific script, and it was one put together against a newly installed Steve Spagnuolo defense on which Washington did not have a lot of film. That makes it even more remarkable to me. Better still? Shanahan revealed later that Griffin was given options on those plays, and he executed based on his reads.

RG3 will have his ups and downs this season, and it will only get tougher as opponents accumulate video on him. Four to five games in, we'll start to see defenses scheming differently for him, which will require him to process what the opposition is doing and then counterpunch. That's the next step in demonstrating whether he has those winning intangibles I mentioned earlier. And if the Skins-RG3 union continues to flourish as it did in Week 1, just maybe there's a chance we'll get to see whether Griffin exhibits another intangible of a prototypical QB -- winning a game with the pressure of postseason implications.

As impressive a debut as it was, it's still just one game. The tale of Griffin's NFL career is barely in its infancy. But as a GM, when I think about what makes the prototypical quarterback, and when I look at Robert Griffin III and the way he's being used by the Redskins, there is a lot that makes me believe we'll see a prototypical situation in the nation's capital.

I want a quarterback with fast eyes that can see a passing window and a fast, accurate arm that allows him to strike while it's open. I want a quarterback who can read defenses and process information under fire. I want a quarterback who can make the right play under duress and stay alive in the pocket, not just scramble downfield at the first sign of pressure. And ultimately I want a quarterback who will make a big play in clutch situations.

Did anyone else read this to the tune of Cake's Short Skirt, Long Jacket?

That's an interesting piece, but I had to read it twice to understand it because the word "prototype" to me means:

1. the original or model on which something is based or formed.

2. someone or something that serves to illustrate the typical qualities of a class; model; exemplar: She is the prototype of a student activist.

What he's saying, I think, is that there is no prototype QB -- each organization can create its own unique scheme built around the attributes of a talented QB.

That was a good article and points out what makes a good player whether it is at QB or any other position. The intangibles are the little differences that make or break players. Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Steve Young, and Joe Montana had those intangibles. RGIII has been compared to Steve Young because of his read progression and his patience. He doesn't look-look-run or look-look-duck like Vick, Grossman, and many other QB's do. What he and the other elite QB's is look-look-slide-look-look-pass or look-look-slide-look-look-run. They all are looking down field and allowing plays to develop even under pressure. These type of players run when they have to due to what the defense is giving them. Comparing RGIII to Michael Vick has some relevance but RGIII has learned what Vick has never learned and that is rely on the team more than you rely on self. Vick runs too much and cost his team opportunities to make big plays. That is why Vick has never gotten to the Super Bowl. Elite teams know he is going to run when he is pressured especially in third and long situations. You cover his WR's and if he runs they know they can stop him before he can reach the yardage necessary. He has always been that way and no matter how much Andy Reid tries to change that he will never change what is instinctive in Vick. That is too run when flushed out of the pocket.

I like hearing Polian, whom I respect, make the Steve Young comparison. To me, that's by far the most fitting. Young was a talented athlete, with nice wheels. But first and foremost, he was an intelligent QB with great vision and a quick release. Like Robert, he also looked to throw first (usually more than once, as RGIII does) before taking off if necessary.

I think some people still get hung up on African-American quarterbacks and their athleticism. I can't tell you how many times I've had to correct people that have compared RGIII to Mike Vick. If you want to go the AA route for your comparison, you need look no further than Mr. Warren Moon.

Robert may be...I hesitate to say this just a little...the best athlete that we've seen play the position. But I can assure you that he is a quarterback first, and an athlete second.

Thanks for posting this. Nice read.

great read ...

love this one ...

NFL FILMS: Cosell Talks: It’s Not Always Luck

Griffin, for a power thrower, was consistently accurate. The better term for accuracy is ball location. That’s what allows receivers to run after the catch
He did not move when the bodies started closing it down. He threw effectively out of what we call a “muddied” pocket”.

http://nflfilms.nfl.com/2012/03/23/cosell-talks-its-not-always-luck/

hahahahahahahahah awesome

I watched the game again last night. We caught some breaks and took advantage of them.

After one game, we couldn't ask for more. But it's week 2 now.

Beat the Rams handily, and keep this momentum going. Then we can start feeling like we could make some noise sooner than later.

Word!! Agreed 100%

I like hearing Polian, whom I respect, make the Steve Young comparison. To me, that's by far the most fitting. Young was a talented athlete, with nice wheels. But first and foremost, he was an intelligent QB with great vision and a quick release. Like Robert, he also looked to throw first (usually more than once, as RGIII does) before taking off if necessary.

I think some people still get hung up on African-American quarterbacks and their athleticism. I can't tell you how many times I've had to correct people that have compared RGIII to Mike Vick. If you want to go the AA route for your comparison, you need look no further than Mr. Warren Moon.

Robert may be...I hesitate to say this just a little...the best athlete that we've seen play the position. But I can assure you that he is a quarterback first, and an athlete second.

Thanks for posting this. Nice read.

That's an interesting piece, but I had to read it twice to understand it because the word "prototype" to me means:

1. the original or model on which something is based or formed.

2. someone or something that serves to illustrate the typical qualities of a class; model; exemplar: She is the prototype of a student activist.

What he's saying, I think, is that there is no prototype QB -- each organization can create its own unique scheme built around the attributes of a talented QB.

In radio interviews, Polian seems to be skill set driven -- on RG III, the two things i recall him saying that stood out to me:

Polian studying tape for the Colts thinking he'd be making their draft decision this year -- thought RG III had the quickest release he has seen since Dan Marino and his arm strength top 3 in the league. In his words, Luck and RG III will be the next top Qb tandem in the league like Brady/Manning. Guess will see.

In radio interviews, Polian seems to be skill set driven -- on RG III, the two things i recall him saying that stood out to me:

Polian studying tape for the Colts thinking he'd be making their draft decision this year -- thought RG III had the quickest release he has seen since Dan Marino and his arm strength top 3 in the league. In his words, Luck and RG III will be the next top Qb tandem in the league like Brady/Manning. Guess will see.

Maybe Polian's method of selecting QBs has changed over the years. I doubt that he selected Peyton based on his skillset (which is not impressive).

I'd like to discuss this with him. Is it smarter to design a scheme for a pocket passer because they are easier to find. Or, should you start with the most talented athlete-QB you can find and build around him? I'm not sure. The pluses and minuses come up fairly even whn I think about it.

Damn I'm old - I have absolutely no idea what u r talking about.

What I thought about was an old test they used to give QBs where they timed them reading the song list off of a spinning record LP. Supposedly Jurgensen was the one guy whose eyes were so fast he could read one spinning at 78 rpm.

Maybe Polian's method of selecting QBs has changed over the years. I doubt that he selected Peyton based on his skillset (which is not impressive).

I'd like to discuss this with him. Is it smarter to design a scheme for a pocket passer because they are easier to find. Or, should you start with the most talented athlete-QB you can find and build around him? I'm not sure. The pluses and minuses come up fairly even whn I think about it.

He addressed this some in an interview, he said the hype about Leaf having the stronger arm was just hype. He said when he brought Manning in camp, Manning's arm was plenty strong and his physical skills compared well to Leaf. The kicker was Manning's personality and maturity. Whether he's telling the truth, you got me but he more or less said that things were equal enough when it came to Manning and Leaf's physical abilities.

Here's him on RG 3

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/post/bill-polian-robert-griffin-iii-is-a-threat-that-we-really-havent-seen-before/2012/04/20/gIQA0GnoWT_blog.html

Bill Polian: Robert Griffin III is ‘a threat that we really haven’t seen before’

By Mike Jones

Ever since Robert Griffin III established himself as one of the top prospects in the NFL draft, the question has been asked repeatedly: Which NFL player does Baylor quarterback’s game most closely resemble?

Cam Newton’s name comes up often because both quarterbacks can hurt defenses both with their arm and legs. But former Indianapolis Colts general manager Bill Polian says the comparisons between Newton and the 6-foot-3, 223-pound Griffin — whom the Redskins will almost certainly select with the second overall pick in the NFL draft next week — are inaccurate.

Griffin “is not Cam Newton as a runner,” Polian said during a pre-draft conference call on Friday. “He’s a world-class track man and as such is a bit of a long-strider and a bit of a narrow base guy, as opposed to Cam, who’s an instinctive, natural football runner, a make-you-miss, shake- and-bake guy in a 6-foot-5, 250-pound body.

“RG is not that,” Polian continued. “That said, he has enough shake to beat most defensive linemen. And once he sticks that foot in the ground and goes, it’s gone baby gone. You’re going to have a hard time catching him. That’s unique. He presents a threat that’s absolutely unique.”

Polian also says Griffin has unique talents when it comes to throwing the ball.

“If he pulls up to throw the ball — and I would direct you to the Oklahoma film — all he has to do is stand up and flick that wrist and the ball will go across the field 55, 50 yards in the wink of an eye — on a rope and it’s accurate. So he presents a threat that we really haven’t seen before.”

By Mike Jones | 07:30 AM ET, 04/21/2012

Edit:

Found an article with Polian quotes that dovetail off of the radio interview i mention:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/story/2012-03-07/Peyton-Manning-Colts-Ryan-Leaf/53400044/1

"The coaches, almost to a man, pretty much leaned toward Peyton," Polian said. "Tom was the biggest support, but Bruce was in that camp, too. I was probably leaning toward Peyton, but I have to admit I had some arm-strength concerns, which turned out to be incorrect.

"The intangible part, that was Peyton by a very wide margin."

Any lingering questions and uncertainty apparently were answered and eased following the personal workout of each.

The Colts put Manning through a private session April 1 in Knoxville, Tenn.

"Tom and I stood together at the workout and were astonished at his arm strength," Polian said. "He threw a tight, hard ball. It wasn't even the most catchable ball. He rifled it.

"Tom put him through a workout where he asks the quarterback to throw flat-footed. Peyton just rifled it out there. There wasn't a question in our mind after that about arm strength."

The next day in Pullman, Wash., the Colts and other teams watched Leaf. Not everything went as expected.

Again, Polian and Moore stood side-by-side. At some point, it hit them.

"We looked at each other and kind of raised our eyebrows," Polian said. "There was a marked difference in the velocity and spin rate of Ryan's ball versus Peyton's.

"We sort of shrugged our shoulders and said, 'Well, there's another wives' tale gone by the boards.' "

He addressed this some in an interview, he said the hype about Leaf having the stronger arm was just hype. He said when he brought Manning in camp, Manning's arm was plenty strong and his physical skills compared well to Leaf. The kicker was Manning's personality and maturity. Whether he's telling the truth, you got me but he more or less said that things were equal enough when it came to Manning and Leaf's physical abilities.
I saw Ryan Leaf only a couple of times. I wasn't impressed with his skillset. However, I would never have given up a number one for Peyton either. His arm is strong enough, but he's not a great passer. His pro career has been wisely managed to mask his limitations much in the way that McNabb's was managed in Philly to mask his.

I saw Ryan Leaf only a couple of times. I wasn't impressed with his skillset. However, I would never have given up a number one for Peyton either. His arm is strong enough, but he's not a great passer. His pro career has been wisely managed to mask his limitations much in the way that McNabb's was managed in Philly to mask his.

I don't know if you checked out my edit addition to my post where I find the Polian quotes but yeah he seemed to like Manning's physical skill set a lot.

While I agree with you that WE fans can't dicipher a Qb's intangibles but I figure scouts who have the ability to do interviews, workouts and talk to the players coaches, etc -- would be able to make an educated guess.

How high do you rate quick release/quick decision making in your evaluation of a QB?

I don't know if you checked out my edit addition to my post where I find the Polian quotes but yeah he seemed to like Manning's physical skill set a lot.
He was impressed by a passer who can't throw spirals; can't throw on the run; and is slow afoot?
While I agree with you that WE fans can't dicipher a Qb's intangibles but I figure scouts who have the ability to do interviews, workouts and talk to the players coaches, etc -- would be able to make an educated guess.
I don't think so. Mike Shanahan could not predict that John Beck would not pass the baptism by fire test. John Beck is an intelligent guy, hard worker -- none of that matters. The same was true for Heath Schuler. Trent Green said that Heath had all the tools but the game never slowed down for him. You can't predict that.
How high do you rate quick release/quick decision making in your evaluation of a QB?
A quick release is a tangible attribute. I give that weight. Decision making is an intangible. I ignore scouting reports on that.

He was impressed by a passer who can't throw spirals; can't throw on the run; and is slow afoot? .

Well, guess you and Polian disagree about his skill set. I haven't really sat down and studied Peyton so am not inserting my own opinion in the mix. But on one thing, and that's why I asked you about release, Peyton does seem to get rid of the ball quick. ditto Drew Brees who doesn't have a gun. So just wondering via the QB geeks -- you, DG, Martin C -- how important do you think the release is or is not compared to lets say arm strength?

I don't think so. Mike Shanahan could not predict that John Beck would not pass the baptism by fire test. John Beck is an intelligent guy, hard worker -- none of that matters. The same was true for Heath Schuler. Trent Green said that Heath had all the tools but the game never slowed down for him. You can't predict that.

Shanny has flat out said that's the last thing you need to see from a player and that is how they handle the pressure of the game. I recall him talking about that in talking about K. Moore as safety, he liked his camp but some players he said you don't know for sure until you see them in action under stress. Agree, that the specific component of dealing with the stress and speed of the game is unknown -- you won't know until you see it. But there seems to be some things you can disicpher to a degree such as work habits, intelligence and personality.

---------- Post added September-12th-2012 at 05:09 PM ----------

The same was true for Heath Schuler. .

Some would disagree on Shuler -- I recall some people close to the team later saying he struggled picking up the offense and didn't seem "football smart"

Archived