Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SOW Film Session – RG3′s Jaw Dropping Pass to Fred Davis

E-Dog Night

http://sonofwashington.com/film-session-rg3s-jaw-dropping-pass-to-fred-davis/

Film Session – RG3′s Jaw Dropping Pass to Fred Davis

20120912-084138.jpg

With the Redskins leading 10-7 in the second quarter of this past Sunday’s game against the New Orleans Saints, Robert Griffin had already impressed most anyone who was watching.

He had completed his first 7 passes and notched an 88 yard TD throw with a blitzer in his face. He had taken an option run for a 12 yard gain that was so fast, you blinked and you missed it. He never once looked rattled in perhaps the most hostile enemy territory in the NFL.

But none of that was amazing, just very good; certainly better than your average rookie. Then he made a play that most veterans don’t make – can’t make, will never make – in their entire careers.

On the first play the second quarter, the Redskins were facing 2nd & 9 from the Saints 45 yard line. They were in shotgun formation in a 2WR, 1TE, 2RB set, with fullback Darrel Young in the game situated one yard behind Griffin, to his right. The TE was Fred Davis, who was lined up on the left.

The Saints were in a defense that was clearly set up to stop the run. They had 4 down linemen on the line of scrimmage with 3 linebackers, 2 CBs in tight man coverage and one safety 11 yards back from the LOS. Safety Malcom Jenkins was playing up on the LOS showing blitz, which is exactly what he will do as the play develops.

20120912-083434-300x226.jpg

At the snap of the ball, Griffin fakes the handoff to Alfred Morris. The fake is very effective, as all three of the Saints LBs collapse on the LOS as Morris leads them away to the right, and Jenkins bites as well, giving Griffin precious time which he will put to good use in a moment. Meanwhile, Young has used the deception to gain separation from the linebacker assigned to him:

20120912-083441-300x146.jpg

Click link to continue

EDog awesome breakdown. I was scratching my head with the reversal of field as were many of us. To see him pull this off is magical. Not only did his mind compute what was in front of him (sure 1st down dump off) but he was calculating where everyone else was also.

Please do more of this in the future. Some of us would love to film study, but don't have the time. Excellent piece!

Hail!!!

Jaw dropping is the correct term.

40 yards in the air...while still running to his left...across the field...across his body...without setting his feet...all arm... I'm still talking about this one throw with people and that was 3 days ago. It's my most lingering moment from RGIII's pro debut. Simply amazing.

Unfortunately I can't remember the play to Moss that got called back. Anyone got youtube of it?

But this pass blew my mind, too. I think I had a flashback to Jason Campbell, screaming at the QB to throw it to the wide open guy right in front of him, then he made that throw across the field. I wouldn't say a lot of QB's can't make that throw, but it has sure been a long time since we've seen one of our QB's make that throw.

Agreed it may have been his most impressive throw of the day. He had set his feet just in time before the defender got to him and threw the ball across the field, across his body, to narrowly hit davis by the sideline. That throw was all arm, and others are correct that it's a throw most in the NFL can't make.

Courtland Finnegan and the Rams are going to be jumping passes especially the screens... maybe some fake screen passes to get hte CBs to bite up and send the WR deep?

It worries me because the Rams will have a better secondary...

Dont worry because I will bet my pay check that this game will be full of running plays and play actions. I think Griff will have even a better game against the Rams.

EDog awesome breakdown. I was scratching my head with the reversal of field as were many of us. To see him pull this off is magical. Not only did his mind compute what was in front of him (sure 1st down dump off) but he was calculating where everyone else was also.

Please do more of this in the future. Some of us would love to film study, but don't have the time. Excellent piece!

Hail!!!

Amen! This was my favorite play of the game and I was hoping someone would analyze it. It reminded me of his Heisman winning throw against Oklahoma where he kept his eyes down field despite other open options and then made a seemingly impossible throw...on the money.

Hate to be the devil's advocate here but was that play really all that smart? Don't get me wrong it was impressive and I am glad he made it but there is alot that could go wrong in that play if Griffin does not throw to his first read who was obviously open (I understand trying to make something happen if Young is covered). I wonder how Mike and Kyle are handling that play in the film session. On the one hand you want your young athletic QB to be a play maker on the other hand the simple safe play was open and there to be made, so why take the riskier play. How do you balance that in the film room??

When watching the game and rewatching all of the highlights, the pass from the left across his body to Fred Davis on the right sideline was the best pass of the day. That one pass showed just how accurate our RGIII is and we're going to have and great time watching him grow. That pass dropped in right on the money and only where Fred Davis coupld catch it and right at the edge of the sideline. It was impressive. If he looks this good now, (I know it's only one game) Imagine what he's going to look like when he's been in the league for a couple of years. This is a great time to be a Redskin fan and I can't wait to see how he looks this week... And to McScabb the worm killer....what did you say about Shanny not being able to adjust the offense to the QB strengths? #HTTR

---------- Post added September-12th-2012 at 10:20 AM ----------

I don't remember one getting called back. I remember RGIII scrambling to keep a play going and finding Santana for over 20 yards...i think it was 23 to be exact.. He spread the ball around nicely

---------- Post added September-12th-2012 at 10:22 AM ----------

Really????... he was scrambling from what I recall and he saw Davis on the other side and put the ball right on the money where only Davis could get it. Exactly how was that risky? It was impressive that's what it was and it gives us a glimpse of how talented RGIII really is. HTTR

Really????... he was scrambling from what I recall and he saw Davis on the other side and put the ball right on the money where only Davis could get it. Exactly how was that risky? It was impressive that's what it was and it gives us a glimpse of how talented RGIII really is. HTTR

It was a designed roll-out to the left with Young being the first read on the play (even gestured with his arms for Griffin to throw him the ball). Young was wide open in the flat for an easy pitch and catch for a first down. Again, like I said, if Young was covered what Griffin did was right but Young was open. Imagine if Griffin was sacked on the play by the blitzing safety? If Griffin was sacked the play would have not looked good because he had his first read wide open.

My main question is how do the Shanahans handle that play in the film session? How do you balance the natural play-making with avoiding risk? Can that even be done with such a great QB?

I remember last year how frustrated we were when players would be open downfield, and Grossman or Beck would never pass to them, either because A) they didn't have the arm to get the ball there (though Grossman, bless his heart, tried), or B) just didn't see the guy.

RGIII did both on the play. Fantastic.

It was a designed roll-out to the left with Young being the first read on the play (even gestured with his arms for Griffin to throw him the ball). Young was wide open in the flat for an easy pitch and catch for a first down. Again, like I said, if Young was covered what Griffin did was right but Young was open. Imagine if Griffin was sacked on the play by the blitzing safety? If Griffin was sacked the play would have not looked good because he had his first read wide open.

My main question is how do the Shanahans handle that play in the film session? How do you balance the natural play-making with avoiding risk? Can that even be done with such a great QB?

I understand what your saying, but I remember him being under pressure from a corner or safety that came in almost unblocked. He had to scamble out of his way before completing the pass to Davis. So if he was supposed to hit Young 1st, he may not have seen him due to the pressure. When he saw Davis on the "riskier play" he knew he could hit him because he's just that good. Watch some of his Baylor highlights and see the accurate passes he threw there. They were also incorporating his Baylor offense into the gameplan so that's another reason he looked so poised and confident. I'll watch the play again and see if there something I may have missed.

it seemed to me that it went like this in his head:

1. ok, young is open.

2. i have some time before i get sacked, so let's see if anyone else is open.

3. if no one else is open, i will go back and throw to young.

4. oh, hey, fred is open!

5. *kaplow!* laser rocket arm

just because your dumpoff is open doesn't mean you have to throw to him IMMEDIATELY; just know if he's open or not, and get it to him if no one better is open before you have to throw it away.

Archived