Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SOW Film Session – RG3′s Jaw Dropping Pass to Fred Davis

E-Dog Night

No kidding a terrific play, I was also watching Young out in the flat and was wondering why he was not passing to him. I guess just gotten used to our quarterbacks in the past not seeing/reading the entire field and just throwing it short. But he had the ability to see the field and make that throw. WOW!

But if the run blitz did not come (pending on the reads the safety is told to make in that defensive call) the safety would have been responsible for the RB in the flat (thus he would have been covered) and Davis wide open for the long completion with no pressure on the QB.

So, in other words, the Saints were screwed either way of Griffin can make the throw. Cool.

Again, the run blitz is what made Davis the right read. In fact, if they had not sent it, the right read would have been Young. This is because the blitz told RG3 that Davis was getting coverage he was going to beat. Watch the Gruden video for a hint of what happened.

I'm not saying the read was incorrect as you're describing it. Davis was the primary receiver and he was open; RGIII knew this based on what he saw. I'm saying that the weakside blitz should have dictated RGIII checking down to Young, similar to how other blitzes dictate a hot checkdown, even if the primary WR will be open down the field against a vulnerable secondary. 95% of other QBs get sacked if they try to complete that pass to Davis against that weakside blitz.

No kidding a terrific play, I was also watching Young out in the flat and was wondering why he was not passing to him. I guess just gotten used to our quarterbacks in the past not seeing/reading the entire field and just throwing it short. But he had the ability to see the field and make that throw. WOW!

Times are a changing. We actually passed up a checkdown pass.!!

great athletic play, and absolutely the wrong read. had he thrown to Young he would have gained the same if not more yards because he would have been able to run with the ball. That's without blocking or young trucking someone. That across the body pass, while impressive, was unnecessarily dangerous, and was not a frozen rope by any means. By the time it was caught the defender had closed completely and the was no YAC. a faster defender might have broken it up. The pass to Young would have been safer, just as productive, and had greater potential since we have seen what young can do with the ball in his hands. Great to have a QB capable of making crazy throws, but let's not get carried away and say that's what we want all the time lol

it seemed to me that it went like this in his head:

1. ok, young is open.

2. i have some time before i get sacked, so let's see if anyone else is open.

3. if no one else is open, i will go back and throw to young.

4. oh, hey, fred is open!

5. *kaplow!* laser rocket arm

just because your dumpoff is open doesn't mean you have to throw to him IMMEDIATELY; just know if he's open or not, and get it to him if no one better is open before you have to throw it away.

that is exactly what he was thinking........

Times are a changing. We actually passed up a checkdown pass.!!

Exactly!

No more Mark Brunell or Jason Campbell in this house!

No more **** it I'm going deep.

No more wrist bands.

I really believe that this is how the Shanahans always wanted to attack defenses.

They just haven't had a QB that could pull it off until now.

I'm not saying the read was incorrect as you're describing it. Davis was the primary receiver and he was open; RGIII knew this based on what he saw. I'm saying that the weakside blitz should have dictated RGIII checking down to Young, similar to how other blitzes dictate a hot checkdown, even if the primary WR will be open down the field against a vulnerable secondary. 95% of other QBs get sacked if they try to complete that pass to Davis against that weakside blitz.

Actually, you ARE because the blitz is what made it the right read. No blitz, and it's probably the wrong read.

That pass, of all of them, blew me away the most. The way he baited the defender into coming at him to sidestep and make some room, then PURE arm strength and accuracy to put the ball where it needed to go. If Jason Campbell made that pass ONE SINGLE time during a game, we would be talking about how much potential he has for weeks. Griff did it in his first game. That's the stuff that really gets me going as a fan...you just dont see that stuff from anyone else in the league, honestly.

Actually, you ARE because the blitz is what made it the right read. No blitz, and it's probably the wrong read.

Why would Davis be the wrong read if there is no blitz? With no blitz Davis is still likely to be open, and Griffin would only have more time to set his feet and make that long cross-field throw. I think RedskinsParadigm has it correct in this case.

You are missing the point. The blitz ensured Davis was open. RGIII saw the coverage, saw the blitzer, and knew that he had Davis open downfield. The question isn't whether he made the correct read; of course he made the correct read. He saw the play develop all the way and knew exactly what was going on.

However, just because he correctly diagnosed the defense and knew that, yes, his primary would be open does not mean that your average QB should have attempted to get the ball there. The PRESSURE from the blitz should have dictated a check down, regardless of coverage. If his supreme athelticism doesn't allow him to make Jenkins miss, that's a sack. McNabb would have been sacked. Grossman would have been sacked. Eli, Peyton, and Brady would have all been sacked. Every one of them would have taken Young in the flat because that's what the pressure dictated.

It is no different than any other effective pass rush forcing a QB to get rid of the ball before he wants to. Luckily for us, we have a QB who can make plays that others can't.

I think you're confusing me for someone who is saying Griffin made the wrong play. I'm not. I'm saying that for 95% of other QBs in the league, the correct play would have been going for Young in the flat; however, for Griffin, if he feels he can create time for himself, then doing things that other QBs can't is perfectly fine (and what makes him special). That's all I was saying.

Everyone is so damn worried about the Rams, but you guys realize we ran the ball 44 times and passed 26? Pounding the Rams is what we're going to do and then we'll use misdirection to keep those CBs honest. If they want to get into a shootout, let them. They'll lose.

I'm having flashbacks to 1983 and it feels good. How often do you run the ball 44 times and paste 40 points on the other team? In '83 we scored 40+ points 4x (including 51-7 against Rams in the playoffs) and ran 43 or more times in each. Eerie!

We have a play that we normally run out of the I-formation where we PA and the TE does a wheel to the opposite side of the field. I saw both McNabb and Rex run it the past two years (I remember McNabb completing it and Portis running all the way down to block for Davis). The only difference was they ran it out of the Pistol this time for Griffin. My point is that those criticizing the read progression may have it backwards. Fred Davis may have been the guy the play was designed for. I'm pretty sure he was.

---------- Post added September-12th-2012 at 03:22 PM ----------

Here is the play I was talking about. It looks like they made some slight adjustments to the play for Griffin (running out of the Pistol and giving him the FB as an outlet), but it's still the same concept with Davis running that backside wheel route. Griffin was able to make the play work even after defenders got to him in the backfield.

Davis is actually the first read on this play based on coverage of the secondary. DY was actually the second read but would have been the first if it was man. Skins ran this play a lot the past two years (staple of our offense) and frequently done so with Davis running free down the sideline. Grossmans lack of arm strength often caused Fred to slow up and as a result be caught by defenders. Grossman also missed a open Davis on this last year as well. The play is still one of my favorites because the stiff arm to the blitzing CB which made the play more difficult.

---------- Post added September-12th-2012 at 07:37 PM ----------

We have a play that we normally run out of the I-formation where we PA and the TE does a wheel to the opposite side of the field. I saw both McNabb and Rex run it the past two years (I remember McNabb completing it and Portis running all the way down to block for Davis). The only difference was they ran it out of the Pistol this time for Griffin. My point is that those criticizing the read progression may have it backwards. Fred Davis may have been the guy the play was designed for. I'm pretty sure he was.

---------- Post added September-12th-2012 at 03:22 PM ----------

Here is the play I was talking about. It looks like they made some slight adjustments to the play for Griffin (running out of the Pistol and giving him the FB as an outlet), but it's still the same concept with Davis running that backside wheel route. Griffin was able to make the play work even after defenders got to him in the backfield.

Exactly right.. Staple of our offense where TE is the first option.

In the highlights, it looked like he saw Young, but when he saw the blitz along with the hard bite on the PA by the backers, he knew that Davis would be open. The free-man was Griffin's.

Found this quote on twitter from redskins..Shanahan says DY was the hot receiver on 26-yard pass to Fred Davis, but "the play was designed to go to Fred."

---------- Post added September-12th-2012 at 03:49 PM ----------

thats right brotha.....he looked good...real good....#HTTR

---------- Post added September-12th-2012 at 03:52 PM ----------

Thats the pass that made me know that he will be a force in this league. That throw is ridiculous.

I remember saying "oh my God" about 5 times while watching replays of it.

Same here... I've watched it over 10 times and I cant tell you which if any of our past QB's could have made that pass that accurately. He didn't even have to reach for it...it dropped in his hands....bad ***** Griffin...bad *****...

Its plays like this that i missed our team doing.. only time i ever witness stuff like this was in 06' with Sean Taylor and 91' when we took the super bowl. Been waiting for a QB for our team for a while. I wanted Bradford before but am very glad we waited for RG3. Hope we can stay focused, healthy and consistent through the season. HTTR

Found this quote on twitter from redskins..Shanahan says DY was the hot receiver on 26-yard pass to Fred Davis, but "the play was designed to go to Fred."

To add to this, Griffin at his press conference today said the play should have been made to Young...per tweet from Chris Russell. So while I am sure that Fred Davis was the first option with the blitz Young became the player Griffin was suppose to check down to. He locked on to the primary receiver knowing he was going to be open and made a great play and throw (cant coach that!!).

Archived