Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SOW Film Session – RG3′s Jaw Dropping Pass to Fred Davis

E-Dog Night

His arm-strength and ability to throw accurately even when on the move or throwing across the body were the things that impressed me most in his first game. You're telling me we've got an athletic young QB with a great arm and a desire to learn the game, being coached by Mike and Kyle Shanny? Gives me goosebumps.

I understand what your saying, but I remember him being under pressure from a corner or safety that came in almost unblocked. He had to scamble out of his way before completing the pass to Davis. So if he was supposed to hit Young 1st, he may not have seen him due to the pressure. When he saw Davis on the "riskier play" he knew he could hit him because he's just that good. Watch some of his Baylor highlights and see the accurate passes he threw there. They were also incorporating his Baylor offense into the gameplan so that's another reason he looked so poised and confident. I'll watch the play again and see if there something I may have missed.

While he was under pressure, it was not that heavy, he had plenty of time to get the ball to Young without any issue from the blitzing safety. Anyway he made a great play but it was close to being a poor decision IF he got sacked. Again all I'm saying is it could be a teaching point during the film session.

---------- Post added September-12th-2012 at 11:06 AM ----------

it seemed to me that it went like this in his head:

1. ok, young is open.

2. i have some time before i get sacked, so let's see if anyone else is open.

3. if no one else is open, i will go back and throw to young.

4. oh, hey, fred is open!

5. *kaplow!* laser rocket arm

just because your dumpoff is open doesn't mean you have to throw to him IMMEDIATELY; just know if he's open or not, and get it to him if no one better is open before you have to throw it away.

Being a rookie QB I am sure the progression was not meant to go that way. Being under potential pressure from a blitzing safety I think you go to the, open, first read IMMEDIATELY.

Man, that was one heck of a throw. I didn't even notice that Young was so open. I would have threw my hands up like :wtf: as well. That pass was money, easily the best one from the game on Sunday.

---------- Post added September-12th-2012 at 11:19 AM ----------

Being a rookie QB I am sure the progression was not meant to go that way. Being under potential pressure from a blitzing safety I think you go to the, open, first read IMMEDIATELY.

That is the old way of thinking as far as rookie QBs go. Now a days, coaches are starting to give them a little bit more freedom.

Yes, this play was risky. What if the Saints were baiting him to throw it to that side of the field? Could have been easily intercepted.

But instead of focusing on why that could have been a bad play, we should realize the fact that we have a QB that can make that play if he has to.

Did anyone notice when Griffin turned to head back towards his right that Morris was was open on the right side too but between the Saints 40 or 35 yd line. It would been a shorter throw and Morris might have scored or at least had alooooooooooooottttt of field to work with. I just noticed that now watching that play over about 5 times.

Either way...That play and throw was just silly good

It was a designed roll-out to the left with Young being the first read on the play (even gestured with his arms for Griffin to throw him the ball). Young was wide open in the flat for an easy pitch and catch for a first down. Again, like I said, if Young was covered what Griffin did was right but Young was open. Imagine if Griffin was sacked on the play by the blitzing safety? If Griffin was sacked the play would have not looked good because he had his first read wide open.

My main question is how do the Shanahans handle that play in the film session? How do you balance the natural play-making with avoiding risk? Can that even be done with such a great QB?

You don't. Natural play-making ability is the risk management.

You don't. Natural play-making ability is the risk management.

I think I am leaning that way too, if I were the coach I would just applaud the great play and move on. I bet as recently as a few years ago a rookie QB would be schooled to avoid the riskier play and make the safe play.

I understand what your saying, but I remember him being under pressure from a corner or safety that came in almost unblocked. He had to scamble out of his way before completing the pass to Davis. So if he was supposed to hit Young 1st, he may not have seen him due to the pressure. When he saw Davis on the "riskier play" he knew he could hit him because he's just that good. Watch some of his Baylor highlights and see the accurate passes he threw there. They were also incorporating his Baylor offense into the gameplan so that's another reason he looked so poised and confident. I'll watch the play again and see if there something I may have missed.

In the highlights, it looked like he saw Young, but when he saw the blitz along with the hard bite on the PA by the backers, he knew that Davis would be open. The free-man was Griffin's.

Everyone is so damn worried about the Rams, but you guys realize we ran the ball 44 times and passed 26? Pounding the Rams is what we're going to do and then we'll use misdirection to keep those CBs honest. If they want to get into a shootout, let them. They'll lose.

This. 100X this. I don't think it will be a walk in the park, but as of now, we have them vastly outgunned at almost all matchups. We can run to eat clock and move the ball with speed if we need to.

The thing is, talent CAN dictate what a "good decision" really is. For most quarterbacks that would have been a risky decision, to throw back across the field even to a wide open receiver. The question of getting the ball there accurately and quickly enough to avoid an interception is a certain risk. However, RG3 does not have the physical talent most quarterbacks have. I'm NOT trying to be biased, and I think I'm being 100% fair and accurate when I say that RG3 has MUCH more natural ball speed than any quarterback not named Rodgers or Vick. The ball literally jumps off his hand like it's rocket assisted. The throw he made was not a risk for HIM. He actually made it look like a routine throw and it wasn't even close to being late getting there.

In the highlights, it looked like he saw Young, but when he saw the blitz along with the hard bite on the PA by the backers, he knew that Davis would be open. The free-man was Griffin's.

Agreed with all that but a veteran saftey like Ed Reed or Troy Polumalu make that sack, most of the time, since they know how to break down and tackle really well in addition to being smart veterans they would know to handle (better) a shifty QB like Griffin in open space. Anyway Griffin made a great play and an equally impressive throw.

It was a designed roll-out to the left with Young being the first read on the play (even gestured with his arms for Griffin to throw him the ball). Young was wide open in the flat for an easy pitch and catch for a first down. Again, like I said, if Young was covered what Griffin did was right but Young was open. Imagine if Griffin was sacked on the play by the blitzing safety? If Griffin was sacked the play would have not looked good because he had his first read wide open.

My main question is how do the Shanahans handle that play in the film session? How do you balance the natural play-making with avoiding risk? Can that even be done with such a great QB?

I think this is a great point. You could even argue (not that I would) that throwing to Davis was the wrong decision.

Here's why: It’s difficult to know how Shanahan feels about this play. One the one hand, he has to be giddy as all get out. There aren’t many QBs who have ever played in the NFL that can make that play, and he’s got one of them. Happy days are here again!

On the other hand, there aren’t many coaches (in my outsider’s opinion) who would recommend giving up on a sure first down for a much riskier throw that only nets you another 10-15 yards. The risk is probably not worth the reward in most cases.

But Shanahan is a very aggressive coach in the passing game. He likes intense attacks on opposing defenses. And this was very intense.

And what this play does is it strikes fear into the heart of every opposing defensive coordinator who has to face the Redskins. I mean, they have to account for this **** now! And how on earth do you account for it? How can you defend a QB who can make every throw, from anywhere, to anywhere, who can also run like the wind?

While he was under pressure, it was not that heavy, he had plenty of time to get the ball to Young without any issue from the blitzing safety. Anyway he made a great play but it was close to being a poor decision IF he got sacked. Again all I'm saying is it could be a teaching point during the film session.

---------- Post added September-12th-2012 at 11:06 AM ----------

The blitzing safety is what made Davis the right read.

I think this is a great point. You could even argue (not that I would) that throwing to Davis was the wrong decision.

Here's why: It’s difficult to know how Shanahan feels about this play. One the one hand, he has to be giddy as all get out. There aren’t many QBs who have ever played in the NFL that can make that play, and he’s got one of them. Happy days are here again!

On the other hand, there aren’t many coaches (in my outsider’s opinion) who would recommend giving up on a sure first down for a much riskier throw that only nets you another 10-15 yards. The risk is probably not worth the reward in most cases.

But Shanahan is a very aggressive coach in the passing game. He likes intense attacks on opposing defenses. And this was very intense.

And what this play does is it strikes fear into the heart of every opposing defensive coordinator who has to face the Redskins. I mean, they have to account for this **** now! And how on earth do you account for it? How can you defend a QB who can make every throw, from anywhere, to anywhere, who can also run like the wind?

I think throwing to Davis is part of the play IF there is no pressure. We have seen that play many times over the years. McNabb did it a few times and even limp-armed Grossman did it last year. Davis leaks out on the other-side and if the QB has time AND Davis is open you go for the big play back across the field. Seeing the blitz the read should have been HOT to Young.

---------- Post added September-12th-2012 at 11:39 AM ----------

The blitzing safety is what made Davis the right read.

Not sure about that...see above

When I watched and analyzed this play from the coach's film, it appeared to me that Fred Davis was actually the #1 read, while Young was the #2. The reason I say this is because this is same play that Shanahan has run with both McNabb and Grossman; the famous TE Leak, and because Kyle Sanahan's progressions typically go from deeper routes to shorter routes. Fred Davis had his longest receptions of both 2010 and 2011 with this play.

However, there are differences between this play and the other TE Leak Plays run under Mcnabb/Grossman: (1) the formation is new this year and (2) both Macnabb and Grossman ran this play rolling out to their right side.

Number (2) is what was most impressive to me. Shanahan is able to call this to the left because RGIII has the athleticism to get wide and reset his feet much more quickly than either Grossman or McNabb. That allows him to get out to his left, which takes more time (relatively speaking) to set up than rolling out right.

Now where RGIII was really impressive is that the run-blitz by Malcolm Jenkins SHOULD have dictated that RGIII go to his #2 guy, Young; he just didn't have time to reset his feet before feeling pressure. The fact that he was able to make Jenkins miss in order to get back to his number 1 was really impressive.

Anyway, that's just how I saw it. Great breakdown regardless. This is my favorite play out of KS' playbook, and is damn near unstoppable if set up correctly.

I think I am leaning that way too, if I were the coach I would just applaud the great play and move on. I bet as recently as a few years ago a rookie QB would be schooled to avoid the riskier play and make the safe play.

It has always depended on the QB and if he's gotten beyond simple progression to coverage read. No, someone with RG3's skill set would never have gotten schooled. If he has the talent to throw accurately on the run and has shown he's at or near the holy grail of coverage read, it is not a risky play.

Everyone is so damn worried about the Rams' date=' but you guys realize we ran the ball 44 times and passed 26? Pounding the Rams is what we're going to do and then we'll use misdirection to keep those CBs honest. If they want to get into a shootout, let them. They'll lose.[/quote']
This. 100X this. I don't think it will be a walk in the park, but as of now, we have them vastly outgunned at almost all matchups. We can run to eat clock and move the ball with speed if we need to.

I agree completely but I do think alot of fans are scared of the Rams because the old Redskins coming of a huge upset win would come in flat and lose this game. I truly believe this team is different I think we will start winning games we are suppose to win. And this week is the start to that happening SKINS ROLL TO A DOUBLE DIGIT WIN.

Man, that was one heck of a throw. I didn't even notice that Young was so open. I would have threw my hands up like :wtf: as well. That pass was money, easily the best one from the game on Sunday.

That 88 play is a real close 2nd in my book. I don't think he did it on purpose but if he led PG1 with a slightly high throw with a blitzer in his face, guiding him away from the S and INT and trouble, maybe it was his best throw of the day. I suspect that was III's favorite throw of the game, in part as it was his first TD.

When I watched and analyzed this play from the coach's film, it appeared to me that Fred Davis was actually the #1 read, while Young was the #2. The reason I say this is because this is same play that Shanahan has run with both McNabb and Grossman; the famous TE Leak, and because Kyle Sanahan's progressions typically go from deeper routes to shorter routes. Fred Davis had his longest receptions of both 2010 and 2011 with this play.

However, there are differences between this play and the other TE Leak Plays run under Mcnabb/Grossman: (1) the formation is new this year and (2) both Macnabb and Grossman ran this play rolling out to their right side.

Number (2) is what was most impressive to me. Shanahan is able to call this to the left because RGIII has the athleticism to get wide and reset his feet much more quickly than either Grossman or McNabb. That allows him to get out to his left, which takes more time (relatively speaking) to set up than rolling out right.

Now where RGIII was really impressive is that the run-blitz by Malcolm Jenkins SHOULD have dictated that RGIII go to his #2 guy, Young; he just didn't have time to reset his feet before feeling pressure. The fact that he was able to make Jenkins miss in order to get back to his number 1 was really impressive.

Anyway, that's just how I saw it. Great breakdown regardless. This is my favorite play out of KS' playbook, and is damn near unstoppable if set up correctly.

Yup that was my analysis of the play as well. Davis is number 1 read if there is no pressure while Young is the Hot read if the front side blitz came.

Again, the run blitz is what made Davis the right read. In fact, if they had not sent it, the right read would have been Young. This is because the blitz told RG3 that Davis was getting coverage he was going to beat. Watch the Gruden video for a hint of what happened.

Again, the run blitz is what made Davis the right read. In fact, if they had not sent it, the right read would have been Young. This is because the blitz told RG3 that Davis was getting coverage he was going to beat. Watch the Gruden video for a hint of what happened.

But if the run blitz did not come (pending on the reads the safety is told to make in that defensive call) the safety would have been responsible for the RB in the flat (thus he would have been covered) and Davis wide open for the long completion with no pressure on the QB.

Archived