Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SportingNews.com: NFL training camps: Breaking down top 10 NFC position battles

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2012-07-27/nfl-training-camps-kevin-kolb-john-skelton-matt-flynn-redskins?utm_term=NFL+NEWS&utm_content=NFL+NEWS&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=SN

4. Washington Redskins RB

Tim Hightower vs. Roy Helu vs. Evan Royster

Hightower is their best all-around back, but he’s coming off a torn ACL—and history isn’t kind to backs in that situation. Helu is the biggest game-breaker of this group and is good in the screen game, but he’s not as strong in protection and durability is a concern. He’ll help regardless of his role. Royster lacks the speed of the other two, but he did surpass 100 yards twice last season, breaking a lot of tackles along the way.

Predicted winner: Hightower—as long as he’s healthy. If he can’t go, don’t be surprised if Royster gets the starting job. Look for Helu to get 15 or so touches regardless of who is No. 1.

I'll root my ass off for Royster to succeed, but I honestly think he's just a guy. Kind of in the Betts mold. He'll get yards that are designed and blocked for. He won't get many yards after contact or break many long ones. He probably won't find the endzone much. I certainly don't think he could sustain an average over 5 yards if he were given a full season worth of starts. I think Helu is the best back for the option anyway. He did it at Nebraska and his speed complements Griff's. I think the term starter isn't really important. Helu will definitely end up with the most touches even if he's never named starter.

Royster would be a great ground and pound back....Helu a change of pace. Hightower blocks (blitz pick up) better than both of them and does a nice job catching passes out of the backfield. Absent an injury it would be Hightowers job to lose. I think Royster starts out as the #1 back at the end of camp. If he can master running behind the ZBS will determine if he stays

I have said since we drafter Royster that he would one day be our starting back and i stand by that. Dude reminds me of Emmit Smith. He lacks explosion, but he is always getting yards, falling forward. If you give him the ball 3 downs out of 4, more times than not, you are getting a first down with Royster. I think Helu is going to be very good too. I honestly think Hightower was the worst of our backs even before the injury. It looked like he picked the wrong hole to often.

The Emmitt comparisons aren't really that good. Emmitt was really good at juking guys. Royster doesn't really make many people miss.

i disagree. i feel like emmitt's best qualities were vision, and the ability to break tackles whilst avoiding injury.

i see some of those qualitites in royster and wouldnt be suprised if he was the workhorse this season with helu on his heels. i dont think hightower helps us much this season.

i disagree. i feel like emmitt's best qualities were vision, and the ability to break tackles whilst avoiding injury.

i see some of those qualitites in royster and wouldnt be suprised if he was the workhorse this season with helu on his heels. i dont think hightower helps us much this season.

Royster doesn't break tackles, though. He may have good instincts on cutting, but after that it's just straight ahead into the first tackle. He's a lot more Ladell Betts than Emmitt Smith.

Royster doesn't break tackles, though. He may have good instincts on cutting, but after that it's just straight ahead into the first tackle. He's a lot more Ladell Betts than Emmitt Smith.

I also threw out the Curtis Martin comparison to Royster. Great vision, instincts, but lacking explosiveness. Physically, he's closer in build to Martin than he is to Emmitt.

He did a good job breaking tackles and juking players in the Eagles game.

When or if Hightower can't go, I'd love to see a thunder/lightning combo from Royster and Helu. I gathered from last year that Evan is a nice power runner and while Helu might not be a speedster, he can catch really well out of the back field.

In a perfect world though, TH will be healthy and ready so that we are 3 deep on awesome sauce.

He did a good job breaking tackles and juking players in the Eagles game.

On one single run. For what? 20 yards? I think he had one other run where he pushed the pile a little. He did have a full head of steam, though. Other than that it was 2,3, 7 whatever yard runs. No juking or breaking tackles. He's just pedestrian and people tend to over rate him.

If there isn't an injury factor, Helu will end up as the most productive back no matter who is named starter.

Am I the only one thinking Hightower may not even make the team? As long as Helu and Royster play like last year I'm pretty sure they're locks. And if someone like Morris plays hard he'll cost less and not be recovering from a torn ACL

Am I the only one thinking Hightower may not even make the team? As long as Helu and Royster play like last year I'm pretty sure they're locks. And if someone like Morris plays hard he'll cost less and not be recovering from a torn ACL

It's more likely THT is kept around for his blocking, what with the rookie QB. Morris can then be stashed on the PS in case of injury.

I like Royster as a starter myself, but it all depends on how far he comes along in passpro.

As the article said,I think Helu will get his 10-15 carries either way.

I'm just stoked that we have three capable guys back there. I loved Royster in college...the guy just gets yards. And more yards. He's one of those overachiever types that doesn't jump out at you during combine drills. But, at the end of the day you look down and he's got 100 yards at 5.1 a clip. He's a helluva football player.

Archived