Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Fiscal Cliff thread.

Larry

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Considering the "tactical situation", it's possible that any deficit reduction would hurt the economy. (And I will observe that the economy is the #1 reason why we have said deficit in the first place.)

Should Congress simply punt, kick the matter down the road by a year, and hope that, a year from now, the economy is a little bit better, and we can start weaning the economy off of the deficit then?

Wow Larry, you are growing on me....you drinking tonight? You feeling happy thoughts because of Disney? ;)

I think you and I have a very different idea of what a middle class family is. Seeing that your location is falls church (and IDK where you've lived all your life) I'll take it your assumption is that middle class families are those similar to that of the NOVA area. If you go down towards central and southern Virginia you'll find that there are many families who struggle (and really don't) buy any of those things.

It's the difference between upper middle class, and the rest of the middle class.

Middle class families are buying plenty of iPhones and Playstations. Look at the numbers sold in this country. Millions of people don't live in Falls Church.

I think you and I have a very different idea of what a middle class family is. Seeing that your location is falls church (and IDK where you've lived all your life) I'll take it your assumption is that middle class families are those similar to that of the NOVA area. If you go down towards central and southern Virginia you'll find that there are many families who struggle (and really don't) buy any of those things.

It's the difference between upper middle class, and the rest of the middle class.

Just checking The Tax Foundation. For tax year 09 (the latest where the data has been released), the median tax return (not person. Couples who file jointly get figured in at their total income) was $32,396

36 and you're still an arrogant dick. Congratulations on your failure to mature.

Take a week off, my good friend, and see if you can tell the differences between what he posted and what you did, and how it relates to the rules as written.

36 and you're still an arrogant dick. Congratulations on your failure to mature.

see. you're not allowed to do that. you could have been a bit smarter about it, still insulted me, and not broken the rules. the smarter ES members have it down pat

Middle class families are buying plenty of iPhones and Playstations. Look at the numbers sold in this country.
Don't conflate middle class families with filthy yuppies.

Hey! Am I doing class warfare?

(that would be sooo cool)

Just checking The Tax Foundation. For tax year 09 (the latest where the data has been released), the median tax return (not person. Couples who file jointly get figured in at their total income) was $32,396

Factor in the large amount of people who are in debt and have poor finances, plus the cost of living and the fact the median household income in the United States is at about 45K. I certainly wouldn't call that an eccentric life style that allows people to go out and buy iPhones and Playstations.

Middle class families are buying plenty of iPhones and Playstations. Look at the numbers sold in this country. Millions of people don't live in Falls Church.

No, but that doesn't mean everyone who buys an iPhone can buy a playstation can buy a nice vacation. A smartphone isn't exactly a status symbol either. I know someone with a droid who lives in a trailer. Sometimes it's just people buying the nice things they can, because really nice things are far more expensive.

and likely the only other person who would know that song. :ols:

For shame... I happen to have that on a 45. Jimmy Castor.

There was more than the Bertha Butt Boogie... not much more.

And for good measure, here's my favorite scene from "Trog"

Trog plays with Train

trog_2.jpg

~Bang

No, but that doesn't mean everyone who buys an iPhone can buy a playstation can buy a nice vacation. A smartphone isn't exactly a status symbol either. I know someone with a droid who lives in a trailer. Sometimes it's just people buying the nice things they can, because really nice things are far more expensive.
A smart phone is a luxury. Minimum smart phone plan is $50/month. $600/year. Cut out cell phone, and you have a decent IRA.

If you want to argue that the middle class is under attack (and that seems to be the current rage), you must acknowledge that over the past 50 years the definition of the middle class had changed. 50 years ago, a middle class family had 1 job, 1 car, 1 TV (free over the air signal), took 1 vacation (driving). Bills consisted of water, sewer, phone, mortgage/rent, car. They saved 10%.

Today, the middle class ad 2 jobs, 2 cars (some more), 2+ TVs, 2 vacations. Bills include water, sewer, home phone, internet, cell phones, cable/satellite, multiple car payments.

A smart phone is a luxury. Minimum smart phone plan is $50/month. $600/year. Cut out cell phone, and you have a decent IRA.

If you want to argue that the middle class is under attack (and that seems to be the current rage), you must acknowledge that over the past 50 years the definition of the middle class had changed. 50 years ago, a middle class family had 1 job, 1 car, 1 TV (free over the air signal), took 1 vacation (driving). Bills consisted of water, sewer, phone, mortgage/rent, car. They saved 10%.

Today, the middle class ad 2 jobs, 2 cars (some more), 2+ TVs, 2 vacations. Bills include water, sewer, home phone, internet, cell phones, cable/satellite, multiple car payments.

I will grant you that the standard of living, with time, has gone up. But I know families (and they know many families in the same position)who would today be considered middle class, and while yes, have what you describe do not have it in the way that more upper class middle class families do.

A disney vacation, and a vacation to a small town in Tennessee are not the same thing.

EDIT: And note that while a smart phone may be a luxury, there are more expensive luxuries and people who can afford many more expensive luxuries then the families that struggle to pay a smart phone bill.

I believe the Democrats have already or are about to put forward an extension of the Bush "temporary" tax cuts for all income under 250k, so iit is not like they are taking an all or nothing stance. For all the rhetoric about the stimulus not working, the tax cuts did not prevent the collapse and have not brought about a recovery, even when coupled with the payroll tax cut. How much red ink for the tax cuts?

600 / yr makes a decent IRA? let's say you have that 600 for years 20 to 65, that's 45 * 600 ~27k. That's not a lot of money to retire on. Can interest help? yes, but we're in a zero interest rate environment right now and will be for the foreseeable future. 100k isn't even much of a nest egg for retirement, at 5% that works out to 5k per year, and that's at 5%!

Archived