Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Houston police arrest Adrian Peterson for resisting arrest

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/07/houston-police-arrest-adrian-peterson-for-resisting-arrest/

Vikings running back Adrian Peterson was arrested early this morning in Houston.

The Houston Police Department’s public information website lists Adrian Lewis Peterson, born March 21, 1985, as having been booked at the Central Jail for resisting arrest. He was released on $1,000 bond.

KHOU 11 News in Houston reports that Peterson was arrested in downtown Houston at 2:30 a.m.

It’s not clear what happened that led Peterson to encounter — or resist — the police. The jail booking refers only to a “search-unclassified.”

More info:

For now, the events leading to the Saturday morning arrest of Vikings running back Adrian Peterson aren’t clear. Soon, they likely will be.

A source with knowledge of the situation tells PFT that the incident culminating in Peterson’s arrest was captured by one or more surveillance cameras. Multiple persons also witnessed the event.

According to the source, Peterson, his girlfriend, and some family members were at a nightclub in Houston. At closing time, a group of police officers entered the club, and they began instructing the remaining patrons to leave.

Peterson wanted to get some water before he left, but an officer told Peterson that he needed to leave. Some words apparently were exchanged, but Peterson eventually walked to the exit with one of the club’s bouncers.

It’s believed that one of the officers then jumped on Peterson’s back from behind and tried to take him down. (Key word: “tried.”) Other officers then joined the fray and completed the arrest.

Peterson was charged with resisting arrest, which implies he was being arrested for something else. He is charged for now with no other crime.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/07/peterson-incident-all-on-video/

This ought to be an interesting case. Usually a resisting arrest charge is an additional charge to what the person is being arrested for in the first place. To be arrested for a crime, there has to be probable cause or else the arrest is illegal. One can legally resist an illegal arrest, but of course that would be an affirmative defense to the court, because law enforcement on the scene oftentimes will arrest first then let the court sort it out.

If Peterson and others were told to leave the premises because the place was closed (trespassing) and or was loud and unruly (disturbing the peace) and he refused to do so they could have decided to charge him with one of those offenses and then changed their mind to resisting arrest when he made an assertive movement to avoid being arrested. On the other hand, the cops could have overstepped their authority and arrested him without probable cause. Based upon information at this point, everything is speculative. However, I hope the best for Peterson.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/07/police-claim-adrian-peterson-pushed-off-duty-officer/

When the officer repeated his request, “That’s when Peterson told the officer that the group had heard him the first time and pushed the officer in the shoulder, causing him to stumble,” Smith said.

The police say it took three officers to handcuff Peterson. When he was taken to jail he complained of shortness of breath and was examined by the Houston Fire Department but was found to be fine.

The manager of the bar told TMZ that Peterson was very drunk and a difficult customer all night.

Lol he was very drunk and still took down 3 cops? Props AP.

More info:

Adrian Peterson was heavily intoxicated at the time of his arrest, which was very out of character for the NFL star ... this according to the club where he was busted early this morning.Daniel Maher, general manager of Live at Bayou Place, tells TMZ that Peterson has been to the club before, but he has never known him to drink much. Last night, however, Maher said Peterson was ver drunk and was a difficult customer all night. Maher says Peterson was throwing his ego around and making people mad, so they put him in the VIP area. Maher says when the club was closing, he rushed over to the bar to try and order one last drink and when he wouldn't Maher says Peterson "tried to intimidate the bartender" into selling it to him. According to Maher, that's when he intervened, but Peterson continued to be "unreasonable."

http://m.tmz.com/article_head.ftl?id=http://www.tmz.com/2012/07/07/adrian-peterson-arrested-drunk/

Lol he was very drunk and still took down 3 cops? Props AP.

I went to a Vikings forum and one of the first posts I saw in response was "...but did he hold onto his drink when they finally got him down?" :)

Seriously though, the reports coming out from this are all over the place. One story makes him sound more like a victim than anything else and in the next he's the aggressor who has been an issue all night in the club. Wait and see I guess...

I went to a Vikings forum and one of the first posts I saw in response was "...but did he hold onto his drink when they finally got him down?" :)

Seriously though, the reports coming out from this are all over the place. One story makes him sound more like a victim than anything else and in the next he's the aggressor who has been an issue all night in the club. Wait and see I guess...

Yea we will see. I'm sure if anything he'll get a slap on the wrist.

It's funny how I can react angrily at hearing certain people getting in trouble, but with this one .. I don't really see this tarnishing his rep for some reason. I think it stems with the general attitude that some pro players exude. We always root against the overly ****y and arrogant, but the hard working team players will always get a second chance.

If this were a story about Haynesworth, McNabb, TO, Randy Moss, or Vick, I'd be convinced they were at fault.

Archived