Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Houston police arrest Adrian Peterson for resisting arrest

I suspect the cop didn't recognize him and thought he was just another thug from the 'hood. But really, cops "know" they can overstep their bounds and get away with it and thought they could get away with it here.

Have read any of the reports? This wasn't about the cop. AP was drunk and being a jerk. He was harassing a bartender for not selling him a drink after last call had been made and the club was closing. The cop knew who he was, but that shouldn't matter. Rich, poor, famous, a nobody, black, white, if a person is being a dick, trying to browbeat someone into breaking the law for him/her, and has been asked to stop several times AND then lays his hands on the cops, he/she should be arrested. The overwhelming vast majority of arrests in this country are not conspiracies or episodes of excessive force.

Two lessons to be learned to all you thick-headed idiots out there:

1) Stay away from nightclubs. Nothing good has ever come from one, especially if you are an athlete/celebrity.

2) Do as the cops tell you. If they ask you to leave, just leave. Don't give them lip, don't lay your hands on them, just be a good soldier and shut your trap and leave. It really is that simple.

Have read any of the reports? This wasn't about the cop. AP was drunk and being a jerk. He was harassing a bartender for not selling him a drink after last call had been made and the club was closing. The cop knew who he was, but that shouldn't matter. Rich, poor, famous, a nobody, black, white, if a person is being a dick, trying to browbeat someone into breaking the law for him/her, and has been asked to stop several times AND then lays his hands on the cops, he/she should be arrested. The overwhelming vast majority of arrests in this country are not conspiracies or episodes of excessive force.

My response was to that bull**** initial report that tried to paint him like a victim. I never bothered following up on that after the rest of the news came out, but I'm aware that Peterson was in drunk megadouche mode.

PFT has been churning out stories on this all day, but they make a great point. AP has picked the best lawyer possible to go on the offensive here, which I agree with, given the "facts" as I have heard them so far.

He mouthed off to an OFF-DUTY police officer working security at the club, pushed him (not cool, agreed) and was then jumped after leaving. Given that string of events, who seems to be the mega-dbag?

I really do want to see the vid of 3 people trying to cuff him though.

PFT has been churning out stories on this all day, but they make a great point. AP has picked the best lawyer possible to go on the offensive here, which I agree with, given the "facts" as I have heard them so far.

He mouthed off to an OFF-DUTY police officer working security at the club, pushed him (not cool, agreed) and was then jumped after leaving. Given that string of events, who seems to be the mega-dbag?

If he was off duty, working as a security guard, he wouldn't be in uniform so I can't get behind the outrage of him mouthing off to him.

If mouthing off to bar/club security was a crime I think we'd all be in jail :ols:

AP is the mega db. Club is closed, you've been told to leave by several people. You continue to be an ass and a problem. Bouncer (off duty cop or not) is just a guy doing his job, making extra money. You don't shove him, just ****ing leave already.

AP is the mega db. Club is closed, you've been told to leave by several people. You continue to be an ass and a problem. Bouncer (off duty cop or not) is just a guy doing his job, making extra money. You don't shove him, just ****ing leave already.
Thank you!!!! I'm so glad that there are still some rational people who get it. When any establishment closes, the customers must leave. Never mind a bar/club that has to comply with liquor/alcohol state and federal laws and will lose its licence and/or be heavily fined if they do not comply. Any ******* that refuses to leave is not only breaking the law in both accounts I just stated, but is also putting every employee of that bar/club's job in jeopardy, not just the owner's and the manager's. On top of that, it is illegal to purposely put your hands on anyone else in a forceful, aggressive, harmful, or malicious way unless in self-defense. It doesn't matter if it is a cop, a kid, a woman, a man: anybody. There are heavier laws against doing this to anyone in law enforcement or other fields of employment in certain places and situations, ie teachers on school property, but it is illegal to do it to anyone, period. Whether or not the guy was an undercover cop has no baring on what AP did, just the offense he could be charged with. I'm tired of hearing about people that have this sense of entitlement that the rules and laws don't apply to them and their friends, especially these rich and famous types that think their status allows them to be above the law. What makes it even more sickening is the people who think that it is okay for them to break the law and support and defend them. Seriously, what the hell is going on with our society???

1) Stay away from nightclubs. Nothing good has ever come from one, especially if you are an athlete/celebrity.

2) Do as the cops tell you. If they ask you to leave, just leave. Don't give them lip, don't lay your hands on them, just be a good soldier and shut your trap and leave. It really is that simple.

What baffles me about the nightclub scene is that these athletes pay thousands so they can sit in a VIP room with their friends. Ummm... Invite your friends over to your house?

Crazy talk, I knoe

1) spoken like someone who is completely out of touch. If he wants to have fun at a club, let him have fun. Thousands of athletes party at night clubs and go home with no problems. The 1 out of 1,000 chance something happens and they are automatically "thick headed."

2) We still dont know all the facts to this case, but if the cops are violating my rights then Im going to tell them to step off. I hope that is true of every American who know their rights.

Say it aint so, AP :(. There goes another one of the true "Good guys"...

first, you should not be putting these guys on pedastals as "good guys" because they smile on camera or something

secondly, an arrest does not many anyone not a good guy. That is a ridiculously unfair standard that fans dont even apply to themselves.

---------- Post added July-10th-2012 at 04:43 PM ----------

What baffles me about the nightclub scene is that these athletes pay thousands so they can sit in a VIP room with their friends. Ummm... Invite your friends over to your house?

Crazy talk, I knoe

so you have never been to a bar? a club? a coffee shop?

maybe he wants to meet new women? maybe he wants to be in a nice crowd and listen to some nice tunes? Maybe he wants to dance?

Its like saying maybe you shouldnt goto Fed Ex field to watch games and tailgate, you could bring your friends over and do it in your backyard.

first, you should not be putting these guys on pedastals as "good guys" because they smile on camera or something

secondly, an arrest does not many anyone not a good guy. That is a ridiculously unfair standard that fans dont even apply to themselves.

You haven't seen my posts in the past on issues like this, and that's okay...

I have been voicing my opinion on issues like this for awhile now. I don't put athletes on pedestals. I didn't even do it when I was a kid. I don't believe that acting like an idiot when you are unbelieveably intoxicated means that you are a terrible person, when multiple people have vouched for your character over the years. Though he did act like a douche here, I'm sure he probably regrets it. We all have our stupid moments.

I also believe that multiple PR trips to the local soup kitchen/burn unit does not make an athlete a saint. As I have said many many times, no one truly knows who these people are in their most private of moments. Although I've understood it to a degree, I've never been one to hold athletes to ridiculous social/moral standard on things they should or should not do, in comparison to the average person who doesn't have people tweeting about them day and night, along with 24/7 news cycles reporting on their every move...

In that post you quoted, I was being 100% sarcastic. I tried to make it somewhat evident (so it wouldn't cause confusion) by putting good guys in quotation marks.

You haven't seen my posts in the past on issues like this, and that's okay...

I have been voicing my opinion on issues like this for awhile now. I don't put athletes on pedestals. I didn't even do it when I was a kid. I don't believe that acting like an idiot when you are unbelieveably intoxicated means that you are a terrible person, when multiple people have vouched for your character over the years. Though he did act like a douche here, I'm sure he probably regrets it. We all have our stupid moments.

I also believe that multiple PR trips to the local soup kitchen/burn unit does not make an athlete a saint. As I have said many many times, no one truly knows who these people are in their most private of moments. Although I've understood it to a degree, I've never been one to hold athletes to ridiculous social/moral standard on things they should or should not do, in comparison to the average person who doesn't have people tweeting about them day and night, along with 24/7 news cycles reporting on their every move...

In that post you quoted, I was being 100% sarcastic. I tried to make it somewhat evident (so it wouldn't cause confusion) by putting good guys in quotation marks.

I didnt pick up on the sarcasm so apologies, but Im with you 1,000 percent. Fans who put these athletes on these moral pedastals are asking to be disappointed when they act like a 20-something who has just come into millions of dollars. Idk how that all started with caring about athletes like that, but its annoying to see guys written off because of a stupid arrest or propped up because they are a "good guy."

this story reeks of "do you know who i am?!" which may work at some points, does absolutely not work if you have to use it to a cop.

i know there's always three sides to a story, but i saw the mugshot and AP didn't look like he had taken a couple swings to the face. i can absolutely believe he got into a pissing competition with an off duty cop about the appropriate time he should exit, but hiring a scorched earth lawyer and attacking doesn't seem like a good idea, because all it takes is a video tape, cell phone picture, or something of that nature with AP putting his hands on the guy and he's made things a lot worse for himself.

and for asiatic saying that the statement about staying out of clubs is out of touch, have you seen what being in clubs has gotten athletes?

they can get chicks anywhere, they have people for that. going to a club is 100% status and flaunting.

it's their money and life and they can do with it what they want, but it's a bad idea. sucks, but it comes with the life and it exposes to nothing but negative possibilities.

He's probably still butt hurt that he went to Oklahoma instead of Texas because he thought they had a better chance to win a National Championship and then had to watch Vince Young and company put up a spectacular season and cap it off by beating the USC team everyone outside of Texas thought was unbeatable. It comes to the surface when he's drunk.

Suck it "All Day". You traitorous rat.

and for asiatic saying that the statement about staying out of clubs is out of touch, have you seen what being in clubs has gotten athletes?

they can get chicks anywhere, they have people for that. going to a club is 100% status and flaunting.

it's their money and life and they can do with it what they want, but it's a bad idea. sucks, but it comes with the life and it exposes to nothing but negative possibilities.

one incideent out of thousands a week and it goes to the typical and out of touch "athletes should stay out of clubs" nonsense, lol

let them live their life.

He's probably still butt hurt that he went to Oklahoma instead of Texas because he thought they had a better chance to win a National Championship and then had to watch Vince Young and company put up a spectacular season and cap it off by beating the USC team everyone outside of Texas thought was unbeatable. It comes to the surface when he's drunk.

Suck it "All Day". You traitorous rat.

lol

so you have never been to a bar? a club? a coffee shop?

maybe he wants to meet new women? maybe he wants to be in a nice crowd and listen to some nice tunes? Maybe he wants to dance?

Its like saying maybe you shouldnt goto Fed Ex field to watch games and tailgate, you could bring your friends over and do it in your backyard.

If you are serious with this reply, and that is the parallel you are drawing based on your comprehension of my post, you should probably stop posting

1) spoken like someone who is completely out of touch. If he wants to have fun at a club, let him have fun. Thousands of athletes party at night clubs and go home with no problems. The 1 out of 1,000 chance something happens and they are automatically "thick headed."

2) We still dont know all the facts to this case, but if the cops are violating my rights then Im going to tell them to step off. I hope that is true of every American who know their rights.

1) Going to a nightclub/bar as a celebrity/athlete makes you a target for trouble more than the average person like you or I. Let's see, just off the top of my head, Pacman, Plaxico, Brandon Banks, AP....all in nightclubs, all got in trouble and I'm sure there are more if I did some actual research. I'm not saying they don't have a right as young guys to go out and have a good time, but they have to realize that people out there are looking for either a payday or to show how tough they are confronting these guys. So because I'm 44 and married, I'm out of touch. Whatever. And "thick headed" was referring to anyone (celebrity/athlete/person on the street) that always want to be bad-asses and be disrepectful to cops. It will only get you a pair of bracelets mouthing off. So go ahead, keep mouthing off to cops.

2) You're right, we still don't know all the facts. So how do we know his precious little "civil rights" were violated? From preliminary reports, he was very intoxicated. If you are in a nightclub and either the law, a bouncer/security or the owner tells you to leave, you leave. You don't act like a juevenile, you don't put your hands on someone and you don't mouth off. He didn't respect their wishes for him to leave. Nobody else in the club seemed to have a problem with leaving and not acting like an ass. The problem I see nowadays is, people want instant respect, yet they aren't willing to earn it in the first place.

OK, I'm a bartender, so I'll weigh in.

Last Saturday night, we were fairly slow, and I had done most of my closing stuff early. Had my register counted down and paperwork finished 15 mins before closing. In walks 4 drunks, unable to even speak clearly, etc....you know how it goes. (Mind you, these same people had called me a ***** to my face many years ago for not changing the TV channel to what they wanted to watch(baseball) when I had a full bar of hockey fans.)...of course, they have no drunken recollection of this, but I do.

They came in demanding(again)that I change the channel to the race...OK with that, but they ran off my one customer at the time, who is a really cool regular.(He had been at St. Simon's all week and was sick of drunks, he had told me that earlier, and repeated it on his way out.)

I had already done my sweeping and cleaning, etc. Got stuck cleaning up after them...they had crap all over the place when they were done.

Now, they ARE giant tippers. Left me $15 on a $33 check, but why go somewhere and be an ass thinking your money makes up for it?

1) Going to a nightclub/bar as a celebrity/athlete makes you a target for trouble more than the average person like you or I. Let's see, just off the top of my head, Pacman, Plaxico, Brandon Banks, AP....all in nightclubs, all got in trouble and I'm sure there are more if I did some actual research. I'm not saying they don't have a right as young guys to go out and have a good time, but they have to realize that people out there are looking for either a payday or to show how tough they are confronting these guys. So because I'm 44 and married, I'm out of touch. Whatever. And "thick headed" was referring to anyone (celebrity/athlete/person on the street) that always want to be bad-asses and be disrepectful to cops. It will only get you a pair of bracelets mouthing off. So go ahead, keep mouthing off to cops.

2) You're right, we still don't know all the facts. So how do we know his precious little "civil rights" were violated? From preliminary reports, he was very intoxicated. If you are in a nightclub and either the law, a bouncer/security or the owner tells you to leave, you leave. You don't act like a juevenile, you don't put your hands on someone and you don't mouth off. He didn't respect their wishes for him to leave. Nobody else in the club seemed to have a problem with leaving and not acting like an ass. The problem I see nowadays is, people want instant respect, yet they aren't willing to earn it in the first place.

1) You named at most 5 incidents over the last 5 years. Today, there will be over 100s of athletes either at a club on their own accord or hosting a party at a club. The odds are none of those athletes will get into any type of trouble. Do you realize how minuscule that percentage of something bad happening is? And you are out of touch, and may have been when you were 24 as well. Some drunk patrons are going to be pricks and potentially try and step to them, but the overwhelming majority just want to be in their presence. Allen Iverson, Shaq, and even Lebron used to host a "birthday" party in DC night clubs ever year when they were in town, those events never had any issues as far as I remember. Iverson used to host two BDay party events during the season and after. Saying they are thick headed based on the 2% is stupid. Its like railing on them for driving a car if they get in an accident. There is this bizarre paternalism that is in the media with regards to athletes and its really disgusting. These are grown men, let them live their lives.

2) I threw the Civil Rights suggestion as in every citizens case, not Peterson's. You said, "Do as the cops tell you and don't give them lip." Shooooooot, if they are in the wrong I will tell them they are in the wrong as they are violating my rates. I do not know what happened in Peterson's case so I will not say much more about it. Just that the cops are not the end all be all.

---------- Post added July-11th-2012 at 08:43 AM ----------

If you are serious with this reply, and that is the parallel you are drawing based on your comprehension of my post, you should probably stop posting

im very serious, you are as likely to run into drunken jerks tailgating as you are in a nightclub. Never thought once that you could avoid all that hassle and do it in your backyard and put your TV out there.

1) You named at most 5 incidents over the last 5 years. Today, there will be over 100s of athletes either at a club on their own accord or hosting a party at a club. The odds are none of those athletes will get into any type of trouble. Do you realize how minuscule that percentage of something bad happening is? And you are out of touch, and may have been when you were 24 as well. Some drunk patrons are going to be pricks and potentially try and step to them, but the overwhelming majority just want to be in their presence. Allen Iverson, Shaq, and even Lebron used to host a "birthday" party in DC night clubs ever year when they were in town, those events never had any issues as far as I remember. Iverson used to host two BDay party events during the season and after. Saying they are thick headed based on the 2% is stupid. Its like railing on them for driving a car if they get in an accident. There is this bizarre paternalism that is in the media with regards to athletes and its really disgusting. These are grown men, let them live their lives.

2) I threw the Civil Rights suggestion as in every citizens case, not Peterson's. You said, "Do as the cops tell you and don't give them lip." Shooooooot, if they are in the wrong I will tell them they are in the wrong as they are violating my rates. I do not know what happened in Peterson's case so I will not say much more about it. Just that the cops are not the end all be all.

1) Again, I never said they shouldn't go there, that they have to be aware of the pitfalls of going to places like that based on who they are. And stop saying I'm out of touch. I don't live under a rock and I'm well aware of what's going on the world. It's getting offensive hearing that.

2) You're right, the cops are not the end all be all, but why make trouble for yourself over something as petty as them asking you to leave? Is it worth it? Perspective man, perpective. Big picture.

---------- Post added July-11th-2012 at 10:40 AM ----------

Everybody goes out sometimes and everybody drinks too much sometimes. It happens to all of us.

Just leave the ****ing joint when they tell you.

Somebody gets it. That's all I've been trying to say.

Archived