Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is "pedantic" an obscure word? (POLL)

G.A.C.O.L.B.

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I have never heard, or seen this word used in my life... maybe that's a fail on my part...maybe not.

However, I will go ahead and choose to be incredibly ignorant and say that the only people who probably use it as a part of their daily lexicon, are either old people, or super nerds...

I have never heard, or seen this word used in my life... maybe that's a fail on my part...maybe not.

However, I will go ahead and choose to be incredibly ignorant and say that the only people who probably use it as a part of their daily lexicon, are either old people, or super nerds...

+

scaled.php?server=9&filename=c49716.jpg&res=landing

Does not compute...

I was the one commenting in the thread about RB's having longer careers. I was saying RB's back in the day would stay on for 12-14 years. I know Tomlinson played 11 years, but it doesn't seem like it. I guess time is going faster as I get older and watching football when I was younger, it seemed like players like Franco Harris, Tony Dorsett, Eric Dickerson, Marcus Allen, etc. were around forever. I think it just might be my perspective.

Haters gonna hate :pfft:

With google and the like, it is real easy to come of as pedantic. Also, during the off season (and for the last 20+, its usually been very long), it does provide a great tool to do a lot of deep research into Redskins history and football strategy/tactics in general.

Reminds me of a joke Harry Truman used to tell.... back when Joseph McCarthy was holding his un-American activities committee hearings...

There is this guy at a ****tail party in DC engaged in a conversation with another person. Where do you work says the first guy. The second guy says... I work for the state department and I'm a communist. The first guy says really? Kind of out front about that are you? Second guy says.. Well Joseph McCarthy says there are only two types of people who work at the state department and so I've decided to be a communist.

( Joseph McCarthy said only gays and communists worked at the state department in the 1950's...)

So my question... what’s old to you?

---------- Post added June-21st-2012 at 09:54 AM ----------

With google and the like, it is real easy to come of (sic) as pedantic. Also, during the off season (and for the last 20+, its usually been very long), it does provide a great tool to do a lot of deep research into Redskins history and football strategy/tactics in general.

---------- Post added June-21st-2012 at 09:58 AM ----------

I was the one commenting in the thread about RB's having longer careers. I was saying RB's back in the day would stay on for 12-14 years. I know Tomlinson played 11 years, but it doesn't seem like it. I guess time is going faster as I get older and watching football when I was younger, it seemed like players like Franco Harris, Tony Dorsett, Eric Dickerson, Marcus Allen, etc. were around forever. I think it just might be my perspective.

John Riggins... with the redskins for 9 years... 14-15 years in the NFL.. 71-85 George Allen through Joe Gibbs

So my question... what’s old to you?

Well I was joking for the most part. But seriously, throughout high school (preparing for the SAT's), college, etc, I don't remember ever coming across that word once. If I did, I I completely forgot about it.

But as for what I consider "old," I always think back to what my grandfather did. He relentlessly watched Matlock/Muder She Wrote re-runs, had food put by his door when he retrereated to his room, and loved doing crossword puzzles.

But as for what I consider "old," I always think back to what my grandfather did. He relentlessly watched Matlock/Muder She Wrote re-runs, had food put by his door when he retrereated to his room, and loved doing crossword puzzles.

Ok, so what did he do that made you think he was old?

Euthanasia is the only word I memorized for the SAT... ****s didn't ask me about it either.

Asiatic....when it comes to "weird", by virtue of a number of your posts, you are establishing quite a claim of your own. :ols:

go you

I found the thread entertaining at the very least. No reason to get uppity. Nobody would've known it was about you if you hadn't stated such.

As for the word pedantic, I don't think it's obscure... it just doesn't seem to be in the vernacular of many people my age (24).

If you found it interesting, good for you. I think the thread is weird, and PM'ing people about it is weird. We disagree. Such is life.lQjqh.png

and the point I made in that thread was that LT had only played 5 less games than Riggo (a guy you named) and had over 100 more carries. Marcus Allen did not have many carries in his prime years and didnt get over 1,000 yards rushing after 1985. LT had more carries than Dorsett also. LT only played 3 less games than Franco Harris and had over 100 more carries than Harris also. And Eric Dickerson played one less year, 30 less games, and less carries than LT.

My point in that thread was that its wholly about how you want to remember them (considering that Dorsett and Dickerson played as many if not less years than LT) and had less carries. I think carries are more of a marker for how long a running back's career is going to be versus the number of years they play. LT's career was more durable and longer than all of those guys.

go you

If you found it interesting, good for you. I think the thread is weird, and PM'ing people about it is weird. We disagree. Such is life.http://i.imgur.com/lQjqh.png

and the point I made in that thread was that LT had only played 5 less games than Riggo (a guy you named) and had over 100 more carries. Marcus Allen did not have many carries in his prime years and didnt get over 1,000 yards rushing after 1985. LT had more carries than Dorsett also. LT only played 3 less games than Franco Harris and had over 100 more carries than Harris also. And Eric Dickerson played one less year, 30 less games, and less carries than LT.

My point in that thread was that its wholly about how you want to remember them (considering that Dorsett and Dickerson played as many if not less years than LT) and had less carries. I think carries are more of a marker for how long a running back's career is going to be versus the number of years they play. LT's career was more durable and longer than all of those guys.

Fewer, not less. Sorry, pet peeve.

And that's why I said above in my other post, that the older I get, it seems like these players play less and less years, when in actuality, I think time is going by faster and faster as I get older. Hell, I remember Dan Marino as a rookie and then "poof" he was gone.

I remember reading about the coniferous forrests of north america, and thinking no wonder the pilgrims stayed on the coast. Even the shrubbery was trying to eat them.

I used to wonder what "donserly" light was when I sang the national anthem. :doh:

And that's why I said above in my other post, that the older I get, it seems like these players play less and less years, when in actuality, I think time is going by faster and faster as I get older. Hell, I remember Dan Marino as a rookie and then "poof" he was gone.

haha, im getting to that point now with a lot of these NBA players now so I get it.

---------- Post added June-21st-2012 at 10:47 AM ----------

Fewer, not less. Sorry, pet peeve.

thanks, and its cool you are right.

Ok, so what did he do that made you think he was old?

Euthanasia is the only word I memorized for the SAT... ****s didn't ask me about it either.

First time I heard the word euthanasia it was during a talk about the Holocaust. I was a little kid and thought they were talking about "youth in Asia" and I wondered why young people in Asia were so bad.

Don't mind JMS. He's just annoyed because anyone that doesn't recognize the word clearly hasn't been reading his posts. :silly:

I do tend to use the word occasionally. More on this board with one particular (intelligent) antagonist who like a hooked grouper tends to swim to the bottom and mire himself in irrelevant details when challenged.

I don't use either descriptive word as much in our more immediate discussions.

Archived