Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mini Camp 6/12/12 and 6/13/12(post 46) - Open to Media

c4man5282

Cooley said some positive things about RG3's huddle. I think that might be where RGIIINATION is getting the 'C' sound from.

It's possible. I just remember thinking that RGIII is not playing around. You can tell he loves the game of football, has a passion for it, and anyone who is not on the same page as him when they get to the huddle's going to hear about it.

---------- Post added June-13th-2012 at 01:29 PM ----------

It was Williams lol :yes:...he said RG3 tapped him on the shoulder when he was talking in the huddle to tell him to shut up, and that he thought it showed how Griffin was taking control of the huddle.

Williams might have been a one of several players who related this to the public. Which tells me this entire team has been one piece of the puzzle short of filling in the picture of what a great team we will likely have in the very near future. HTTR

Williams might have been a one of several players who related this to the public. Which tells me this entire team has been one piece of the puzzle short of filling in the picture of what a great team we will likely have in the very near future. HTTR

There have indeed been several players talking about RG3 and his presence in the huddle :yes:...talking like he's not a rookie but a veteran (or becoming one quickly)...

---------- Post added June-13th-2012 at 10:54 AM ----------

Grant Paulsen ‏@granthpaulsen

Jim Haslett on the secondary: "I'm excited about it. We had a good offseason." Says he likes the pieces brought in to compete.

Jim Haslett says Raheem Morris "is fun to be around" and praised how smart he is. Thinks he'll bring a lot to secondary.

Haslett: Meriweather's "athletic, instinctive." Williams is " smart, good ball skills." Jackson is "athletic, like a corner back there."

Haslett on Minnifield: "I'm really impressed with Chase." Said could be the first time there will be some real tough decisions amond DBs.

Haslett on Minnifield: "He's got ball skills, he's got football intelligence, awareness." Says #Redskins thought he was a 3rd round pick.

Mike Jones ‏@MikeJonesWaPo

Defensive coordinator Jim Haslett says he's excited about the secondary and new pieces brought in this offseason.

Haslett said it'll be a work in progress because of the safeties.

Haslett sees a good mix w the five safeties (Meriweather, Jackson, Williams, Gomes and Doughty). hopes to get all on field different points

Haslett says Jarvis Jenkins still getting re-acclimated to football and after struggling, he's doing well.

Haslett very impressed with Chase Minnifield.

ESPN 980 ‏@ESPNRadio980

Jim Haslett says he , Raheem and Slowik have spent a ton of time together. Says DL coach Jacob Burney has had last 5 months off. Joking.

Chris Russell ‏@Russellmania980

Haslett says he is "really impressed" with @ChaseMinnifield, also @Rich_Crawford6

Haslett says @RGIII is "way ahead of his time" and has great work ethic.

Jim Haslett on @ChaseMinnifield "Thank god we got him. I love the kid." Says @LFletcher59 is best he has been around in all his years.

Anyone remember what his draft projections were before the draft? 3rd round right?

Before his injury and microfracture surgery I could easily see him as a 2nd rounder but maybe 3rd. After he wasn't recovering as fast as hoped I think he dropped a bit but he was still considered a potential 4th-5th rounder. I am amazed that the Skins saw him as a 3rd round talent but didn't pull the trigger when he fell into the later rounds. Maybe they saw his talent level as 3rd round but his injury took them off of their board. Still, that's quite a gamble for a kid you have a high opinion of since there is no way to know that he will actually sign with your team if he goes undrafted.

Before his injury and microfracture surgery I could easily see him as a 2nd rounder but maybe 3rd. After he wasn't recovering as fast as hoped I think he dropped a bit but he was still considered a potential 4th-5th rounder. I am amazed that the Skins saw him as a 3rd round talent but didn't pull the trigger when he fell into the later rounds. Maybe they saw his talent level as 3rd round but his injury took them off of their board. Still, that's quite a gamble for a kid you have a high opinion of since there is no way to know that he will actually sign with your team if he goes undrafted.

That's not entirely true. Teams start calling UDFA's in the 6th round or so to touch base. They could have had a great conversation and Chase could have been emphatic about wanting to be a Skin. No way to know, really.

John Keim - Shanahan says he told brandon banks he'd have to help at wr if he wants to make roster. Banks 10 lbs heavier. #redskins

Yikes not good news for Banks..

Jsteelz - Cooley hurt his hamstring lol we talked about this cat not being 100, if u have a knee injury, that leg is set up for pain

Same for Cooley. Hopefully its just minor. If it lingers that could be it for him.

Jsteelz - Cooley hurt his hamstring lol we talked about this cat not being 100, if u have a knee injury, that leg is set up for pain

Why is he laughing at Cooley hurting his hamstring?

Same for Cooley. Hopefully its just minor. If it lingers that could be it for him.

Earlier tweets:

Kyle Shanahan says Chris Cooley looks really good and that he sees no problems w the TE's knee.

Kyle Shanahan: Chris Cooley "looks like the old Chris." Jammal Brown is "a new-found man" and is more flexible because of his yoga routine.

Hopefully it's indeed minor.

---------- Post added June-13th-2012 at 01:49 PM ----------

Further:

Shanahan says Cooley has a slight hamstring , but his knee has responded great, no drain.

Shanahan says he is not worried about injuries or issues stemming from a player run passing camp.

---------- Post added June-13th-2012 at 01:52 PM ----------

Mike Shanahan says every player on the #Redskins roster is expected to be healthy enough to go full-speed at the start of training camp.

Mike Shanahan: Chris Cooley didn't practice today (tight hamstring). He would be able to practice tomorrow if there was a practice.

Mike Shanahan has informed his players that they won't practice tomorrow afternoon. They'll run/lift/meet instead of practicing.

---------- Post added June-13th-2012 at 01:55 PM ----------

ESPN 980 ‏@ESPNRadio980

Awaiting Mike Shanahan, but star play of practice was @Dhall23 picking off @RGIII on a boot right. Hall dished it off to Kerrigan on return

Graham Gano admitted (jokingly) to kicking balls from sideline at media. He said his 54 yard miss was his first MFGA of practices.

John Keim ‏@john_keim

#redskins won't have minicamp workout tomorrow... Banged up a little but also for good work, shanahan says.

There have indeed been several players talking about RG3 and his presence in the huddle :yes:...talking like he's not a rookie but a veteran (or becoming one quickly

The season can not get here quick enough for me! HAIL!

---------- Post added June-13th-2012 at 05:18 PM ----------

Why is he laughing at Cooley hurting his hamstring?

I was under the impression it was very minor. Hope he's ready for training camp.

I was under the impression it was very minor. Hope he's ready for training camp.

Shanahan said he'd be ready to practice tomorrow lol :yes:...

---------- Post added June-13th-2012 at 03:06 PM ----------

Quick Hits highlights:

- The coaching staff was praising the work of undrafted rookie cornerback Chase Minnifield.

Minnifield, who intercepted a pass during Tuesday’s afternoon practice, was a topic during the press conferences of Mike Shanahan, Jim Haslett and defensive backs coach Raheem Morris at different times during the Redskins’ mini camp this week. Haslett says the team evaluated Minnifield as a third-round pick at the University of Virginia last season before injuries crippled his chances of being a high draft pick.

“I’m ecstatic he did not run as well in his 40-time to make him a free agent to be able to come to Washington,” Morris said of Minnifield. Haslett actually went as far as to say he shouldn’t have run because he wasn’t healthy. Some people feel like Minnifield’s poor showing cost him a chance to be drafted. “He’s done a nice job. I’m very happy and very pleased,” Morris added.

- Jim Haslett was asked to break down the Redskins’ three new veteran safeties

On Brandon Meriweather, Haslett said: “Really athletic, really instinctive, he’s got a great nose for the ball. He’s the most like some of the guys I’ve coached in the past. He’s got great ball skills, you can see why he was in the pro bowl.” His analysis of Madieu Williams? “Really, really smart. He kind of runs the show back there. I think he’s on top of it. He’s kind of like having a coach on the field. He’s also got good ball skills. He can run well.” And Tanard Jackson? “Really is athletic. He’s like having a corner back there. He can cover a lot of ground.”

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2012/06/13/redskins-quick-hitters-wednesday-at-the-park-2/

---------- Post added June-13th-2012 at 03:08 PM ----------

ESPN 980 ‏@ESPNRadio980

A few observations from final day of minicamp for #Redskins 1. RG III wasn't sharp, but I did not think he was outstanding on Tuesday either

Observation # 2 - Niles Paul (who appeared on ESPN 980 at 4:45) had a long TD catch from Rex beating Fletch. Rex had a ton of time

Oservation # 3 Neil Rackers made a 50-yard FG, Graham Gano missed a 54-yard FGA in team drills. Gano's first miss of off-season.

Observation # 4 - Aldrick Robinson has been the standout WR in my eyes, w/ long bomb TD Tues. Had 2 great cactches/TD's today.

Observation # 5 - @DHall23 not only had the INT of @RGIII as mentioned, but had terrific coverage /leverage on a Moss/RG3 attempt

---------- Post added June-13th-2012 at 03:10 PM ----------

Tough to say players stood out in practices without pads. But I think WR Aldrick Robinson & CB Chase Minnifield helped themselves this week.

A final few notes - @Travon_Bellamy made a couple of nice plays, one on a jump ball break up from RG3 to Garcon, & another pass defensed

More #Redskins observations - He's new at center, but by my count - had Josh LeRibeus with a few (3) bad snaps over last 2 days.

A final #Redskins observation (I think) - NT Barry Cofield had a vicious knock down in RZ drills of an @RGIII pass attempt. So good at that.

---------- Post added June-13th-2012 at 03:16 PM ----------

WP Quick Hits highlights:

Tight end Chris Cooley was an observer during Wednesday’s minicamp practice. When the tight ends went through their positional drills, Cooley helped tight ends coach Sean McVay instruct others.

Coach Mike Shanahan said later that Cooley was nursing a minor hamstring strain. Shanahan said Cooley could have practiced if the team was in the regular season.

Offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan echoed sentiments that yoga has helped right tackle Jammal Brown gain more flexibility. “He’s always trying to touch his toes and show us how flexible he is,” Shanahan chuckled. Tackle Trent Williams said Brown is moving much better and joked that his fellow tackle is wearing wide receiver cleats now.

Brown showed some good mobility when he caught a pass that was batted at the line by Barry Cofield. Brown scooped up the ball and juked a couple of off guard defensive linemen before the play was blown dead.

After he was relegated to special teams duty for most of last season’s practices because of a balky knee, Brandon Banks has practiced fully as both a receiver and return man. The third-year pro appeared to make cuts with ease. Shanahan said Brandon Banks will have to help the Redskins both as a wideout and return man to make the team this season.

Second-year wideout Aldrick Robinson, who has had a solid offseason , hauled in a touchdown pass from Kirk Cousins while covered by DeAngelo Hall. He later caught another touchdown pass, and Cousins, Banks and several other receivers rushed up and did the old “fun bunch” group leaping high five.
Rookie Josh LeRibeus showed some growing pains as he learns to play center. LeRibeus, who played guard at SMU, had two bad snaps on Wednesday and one on Tuesday while working with the second team.

Sav Rocca, who ended the year with a sprained ankle on his left (planting foot), appeared to be fine and was booming punts Wednesday. It marked the first time that Rocca had punted in practices open to the media.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/post/quick-hits-observations-from-wednesdays-minicamp/2012/06/13/gJQAPMVcaV_blog.html

John Keim - Shanahan says he told brandon banks he'd have to help at wr if he wants to make roster. Banks 10 lbs heavier. #redskins

Yikes not good news for Banks..

well, shanahan said "banks did a great job coming in football shape this offseason. came in 10 pounds heavier". could be wrong but to me, that sounds like a good thing from what mike said

well, shanahan said "banks did a great job coming in football shape this offseason. came in 10 pounds heavier". could be wrong but to me, that sounds like a good thing from what mike said

Ahh. Perhaps i read that wrong, with 10 lbs heavier being a postive for him helping at Wr. Being able to take hits and such.

Makes sense. Sorry for the confusion.

Ahh. Perhaps i read that wrong, with 10 lbs heavier being a postive for him helping at Wr. Being able to take hits and such.

Yeah, I believe that to be a positive for Banks. Shanahan doesn't really call people out in public. Banks' knee hasn't really been right since he hurt it his rookie year. He's going to have to fight hard for one of those last two WR spots.

it doesn't sound good because, its going to end up being a numbers game for him.

the locks are:

Garcon

Morgan

Hank

Moss

on the bubble:

Armstrong

Austin

Robinson

Banks

-If the keep 6, then does he beat out the other 3 as a WR? IDK.... and he better hope they don't take a special liking to someone like Lance Lewis or else he's getting that pink slip IMO.

it doesn't sound good because, its going to end up being a numbers game for him.

the locks are:

Garcon

Morgan

Hank

Moss

on the bubble:

Armstrong

Austin

Robinson

Banks

-If the keep 6, then does he beat out the other 3 as a WR? IDK.... and he better hope they don't take a special liking to someone like Lance Lewis or else he's getting that pink slip IMO.

Robinson's been doing well from all reports...I hope he makes it.

A little late on this, but I think it's really interesting that Kyle expects Korey Lich to start at LG. Monty will be quality depth at Center by Josh LeRiebus.

---------- Post added June-14th-2012 at 08:54 AM ----------

Can any of the receivers be used as trade bait?

Doubtful. Robinson drew interest last year, which is why he was called up late. But I don't think anyone who we are looking at cutting will get us a pick. Maybe a player for player trade.

---------- Post added June-14th-2012 at 08:56 AM ----------

New kickoff rules hurts Banks and believe Lewis has a chance to knock someone out of the roster spot.

Bernstien also returned kicks at Iowa and can play both return and coverage teams. I think he has more value than Banks, especially with the new rules.

Sort of like the Tim Hightower and Vonnie Holliday situation last year.

Yeah, I think we threw a 6th rounder in there for that one, though. Maybe like Jarmon for Gaffney or Dutch for Beck. I've been really impressed with those trades so far. Anything you can do to get a leg up on other teams for a player who is going to get cut or provide quality depth.

That said, man, this offseason class is THICK. I love where we are at right now. I think the only thing we can gain at this point is a big reciever (unless we are willing to part with high picks) and he may be here in the form of a Lance Lewis.

I'm stoked.

I agree, I thinks banks is done. They are going to have to pick someone who can play WR, special teams and return punts/kickoffs or some type of combination of those. Carrying three QB's and with depth at other positions they no longer have the spot available for him.

But, Banks won't be the only player cut by the end of training camp. I like the open competition to make everyone better. It will be sad to see some go, but making the team better is the only goal.

Yeah, I think we threw a 6th rounder in there for that one, though. Maybe like Jarmon for Gaffney or Dutch for Beck. I've been really impressed with those trades so far. Anything you can do to get a leg up on other teams for a player who is going to get cut or provide quality depth.

That said, man, this offseason class is THICK. I love where we are at right now. I think the only thing we can gain at this point is a big reciever (unless we are willing to part with high picks) and he may be here in the form of a Lance Lewis.

I'm stoked.

I can definitely agree with that.

the locks are:

Garcon

Morgan

Hank

Moss

on the bubble:

Armstrong

Austin

Robinson

Banks

I agree with this assessment. I think Robinson locks down #5 and it will be between AA, Austin and Banks for the last spot.

New kickoff rules hurts Banks and believe Lewis has a chance to knock someone out of the roster spot.

Why would you say that Lewis has a chance to knock someone off. I haven't heard a thing from him.

Lewis will be a practice squad guy unless he totally knocks it out of the park during training camp.

---------- Post added June-14th-2012 at 09:47 AM ----------

Bernstien also returned kicks at Iowa and can play both return and coverage teams. I think he has more value than Banks, especially with the new rules.

Who is Bernstien? UDFA?

Archived