Thinking Skins

'Does two count as a group?

A Tribe Called Quest

Wu Tang Clan

Run DMC

Beastie Boys

Public Enemy

HM: EPMD Outkast, Pete Rock and CL Smooth, Bone Thugs, NWA, Eric B and Rakim

Paul's Boutique might be the best album by any of the groups. Oops, except for It Takes a Nation of Millions...

I can see the argument against the Wu Tang. They live off one fantastic album. But it's that good. And how can any list leave off ATCQ...

This thread is making me miss the 90s. I still remember where I was and what I was doing when I first heard Bone's "first of the month" and Wu's "CREAM."

---------- Post added May-30th-2012 at 07:07 AM ----------

Eric B and Rakim...

Don't sweat the technique! Lol

no particular order:

(except #1)

the roots

tribe

wu-tang

pete rock & cl smooth

eric b. & rakim

gangstarr

i also really like the pharcyde.

i will also say the wu-tang's 2nd album is very underrated...they did it to themselves by putting out a double disc. take out all the fluff (skits, songs that shouldn't make the cut onto the final album) and you'd have a very, very solid 1-disc follow up to 36 chambers.

---------- Post added May-30th-2012 at 09:10 AM ----------

Raw imma give it to ya, with no trivia,we like cocaine straight from Bolivia.

my hip hop will rock and shock the nation

like the emancipation proclomation

I don't really count duos as groups, that's why I left out OutKast and Gang Starr

I agree... and as you mentioned Gang Starr.... there is no need to discuss who the greatest producer of all time is, because it starts with Premier and ends with Premier...lol

I agree... and as you mentioned Gang Starr.... there is no need to discuss who the greatest producer of all time is, because it starts with Premier and ends with Premier...lol

Everything Premier touches turns to gold. The dude is such a good producer. I'd love to hear some of his throw-away beats and others that he hasn't used.

I just found this out the other day (regarding Premier)...but he originally gave the "Devil's Pie" beat to Canibus, but he didn't want it. D'Angelo then took it and the rest is history. Canibus is a moron for that. LOL

Since we're discussing groups, what ever happened to Black Moon?

I think the original memebers split up, but buckshot is still making alot of music (good music) under an independent label, like many of the old school acts.

---------- Post added May-30th-2012 at 08:26 AM ----------

Everything Premier touches turns to gold. The dude is such a good producer. I'd love to hear some of his throw-away beats and others that he hasn't used.

I just found this out the other day (regarding Premier)...but he originally gave the "Devil's Pie" beat to Canibus, but he didn't want it. D'Angelo then took it and the rest is history. Canibus is a moron for that. LOL

Yeah, Canibus is stupid.. and Nas needs to get his head out his butt and let Premo and Pete Rock lace another album for him.. they are basically begging for it.. Actually, you may like this interview..

The reason why I have The Roots so high on my list is that they have maintained relevancy for over 20 years and are STILL making amazing music. Black Thought is one of the best MCs to ever grace rap...but the actual band??? Wow. One of the best bands REGARDLESS of genre. They're that good.

I agree, which is why they are in my top 3. They have been easily the most consistent hip hp group for the last 20 years. Great, powerful music. Their last album was amazing.

Sticks, I would have listed Eric B & Rakim...But Eric B doesn't really rap at all.

mboyd, Geto Boys sucked.

Yeah, I don't count them as a group. Rakim basically invented the emcee and everyone pretty much patterns themselves after him so I think he has an honorary spot in any top whatever list. But as far as groups, I don't think they qualify.

1.) Public Enemy

2.) N.W.A

3.) The Hieroglyphics

4.) E.P.M.D

5.) The Beastie Boys

As classic as NWA were, weren't they all more successful as individual acts? I know they changed the game, but I don't know if I'd put them in my top 5. Maybe honorable mention.

---------- Post added May-30th-2012 at 09:43 AM ----------

Yal ever listen to Binary Star? Whats the opinion on them? I like them on the same level as than Little Brother, but I don't hear their name come up in these discussions.

As classic as NWA were, weren't they all more successful as individual acts? I know they changed the game, but I don't know if I'd put them in my top 5. Maybe honorable mention.

---------- Post added May-30th-2012 at 09:43 AM ----------

Yal ever listen to Binary Star? Whats the opinion on them? I like them on the same level as than Little Brother, but I don't hear their name come up in these discussions.

Binary Star was DOPE. Waterworld is always in constant rotation in my collection. Wish they released more stuff though.

For real, i'm not familiar with Binary Star, i will have to check them out.. but if you're putting them on par with Little Brother, then it will get a check from me.... Because since 2000, i don't know of a group who has constantly pushed out such quality, soulful hiphop as Little Brother... Too bad they broke up however, though 9th wonder and Phonte have gotten back together.

Archived