Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best Hip Hop Group?

Thinking Skins

I had this discussion with friends (most recently) a few months back, but I'm curious to know how this community feels. Who is the best hip hop group? What are some top 5's?

The names that come to mind are:

Wu-Tang Clan

OutKast

Tribe Called Quest

Public Enemy

Bone

The Roots

A friend tried to put Fugees in there, but in my opinion they had two great solo acts in Lauryn and Wyclef but as a group they were just decent.

What say ye?

Yeah, I thought about De La Soul, but I would've had to take out the boys from Mt. Vernon, and I just couldn't bring myself to do that. And if this was a top 10, Run DMC, The Roots, The Fugees, and Public Enemy would be there.

---------- Post added May-30th-2012 at 08:04 AM ----------

2 Live Crew wouldn't be in my top 20...

The reason why I have The Roots so high on my list is that they have maintained relevancy for over 20 years and are STILL making amazing music. Black Thought is one of the best MCs to ever grace rap...but the actual band??? Wow. One of the best bands REGARDLESS of genre. They're that good.

The reason why I have The Roots so high on my list is that they have maintained relevancy for over 20 years and are STILL making amazing music. Black Thought is one of the best MCs to ever grace rap...but the actual band??? Wow. One of the best bands REGARDLESS of genre. They're that good.

I'd agree with that. Plus I think its awesome they are Jimmy Fallon's band on his show.

Now that I've had enough time to marinate on it, I wouldn't put 2 Live Crew in my top 40...

Top anything associated with 2 Live Crew...probably doesn't exist. They are on par with the guys (can't remember the names now) that sing " it takes two". Some fun songs, not really any that are good.

I would put Rare Essence above them as rap groups.

Top anything associated with 2 Live Crew...probably doesn't exist. They are on par with the guys (can't remember the names now) that sing " it takes two". Some fun songs, not really any that are good.

I would put Rare Essence above them as rap groups.

R-A-R, a double E, S-S-E-N, a C-E

Archived