38:30 - 3

35:10 - 7

33:20 - 2

35:00 - 3

30:26 - 2

30:41 - 2

36:09 - 1

Number of sacks when the offense held the ball > 30 min = 24

When we won the T.O.P. game our pass rushers were not nearly as tired. When our turnover machines couldn't stay on the field, there was noticible dropoff in the sack totals. With RG3 under center, I fully expect to see us holding on to the ball longer. The end result IMO is that our pass rush will have the opportunity to show just how elite it truly is.

Nice analysis! I might use the T.O.P. in a projected pass rushing effectiveness against NFC South's perceived good pass pro o-lines.

I don't understand the pessimism with our defense sacking the QB...We did a pretty decent job last year, best in a long time, and most of the guys were new. Bowen, Cofield, Kerrigan and now we get Jenkins back...Familiarity with the system alone, our ability to get to the QB should be much improved if we stay healthy

Is that stat serious? That's crazy if so.

Hell i remember times our team couldnt get 73 in 2 seasons.

That's in 14 games too. That's an average of just over 5 sacks per game.

They also had a higher point per game differential (+16.8 ppg) than points per game allowed (16.6 ppg)

Haslett's squad on the Saints had 66 sacks in 2000...

I have always liked Haslett.

10-15 from each OLB spot, 10-15 from the line and 10-15 from the secondary and interior line (which Haslett likes to blitz with) is reasonable in a Haslett run defense, if our Offense really can add at least a touchdown a game.

We know our run defense is stout.

I like the pieces in our secondary more than most. I believe all the pieces are in place on defense.

Our sack rate per dropback was 8th in the NFL last season. So our pass rush is around top 10. We were also 9th in the league in forcing fumbles, however we were disastrous at recovering them. We were 24th in total fumble recoveries. So we have bits and pieces which are close to pushing us to be a legitimate top 10 defense.

I think at this point, our greatest hope is again RG3. The points he'll help score, will put added pressure on the other teams offense to keep up, and that's where our defense can make more plays.

And if our defense is on the field less it will help our D stay fresh. Remember going 3-1 to start the season we wre averaging like 35 minutes of possession on offense.

edit: Hogs Ahead beat me to it and added useful info to boot!

I don't understand the pessimism with our defense sacking the QB...We did a pretty decent job last year, best in a long time, and most of the guys were new. Bowen, Cofield, Kerrigan and now we get Jenkins back...Familiarity with the system alone, our ability to get to the QB should be much improved if we stay healthy
Agreed and our Offense should be much better meaning we should have leads and will be able to take more chances on defense causing more sacks.

Agreed and our Offense should be much better meaning we should have leads and will be able to take more chances on defense causing more sacks.

We now have two #1 picks (Rak and Kerrigan) rushing off each edge with 2 high picks (Carraker and Jenkins) coming up the middle. This unit should produce big time in the sacks dept.

We now have two #1 picks (Rak and Kerrigan) rushing off each edge with 2 high picks (Carraker and Jenkins) coming up the middle. This unit should produce big time in the sacks dept.

They produced last year - we were #10 in the NFL in sacks which was a HUGE improvement on the year before. I suppose thats only 1 year and they need to do it again to show last year was not a 1 year wonder but with the players we have in the front 7 I can't see why they would not be as good or better than last year.

This might be a little off topic but, I think Kerrigan should be rushing from the blindside. Orakpo looked like a monster on the left side of the defense. I think it would definitely maximize both of their potential. That's not even mentioning that Kerrigan seems like a natural stripping QB's of the ball. Orakpo seems to have to think to incorporate it into his game. I don't claim to be a defensive guru. Just a thought.

This might be a little off topic but, I think Kerrigan should be rushing from the blindside. Orakpo looked like a monster on the left side of the defense. I think it would definitely maximize both of their potential. That's not even mentioning that Kerrigan seems like a natural stripping QB's of the ball. Orakpo seems to have to think to incorporate it into his game. I don't claim to be a defensive guru. Just a thought.

There's a very good reason for that. Orakpo is left handed, Kerrigan right. If they were to switch sides, they would be using their strong hands to try to beat the blocks.

There's a very good reason for that. Orakpo is left handed, Kerrigan right. If they were to switch sides, they would be using their strong hands to try to beat the blocks.

Exactly... the game that comes to mind was the one against Philly when Orakpo had 2 sack fumbles and seemed to get consistent pressure on Vick.

I've never played a y position on the d-line and don't know all that much about pass rushing technique. With that being said, I think you guys maybe be a little mixed up.

You use your inside arm/hand to beat blocks just as much if not more than your outside arm/hand thus switching orakpo and Kerrigan wouldn't help but actually hurt them.

Warren sapp has been on that path to the draft nfln show more than once showing what he considers to be the two edge rush moves. 1 is the wax on wax off move, start with your inside arm low, get beneath tackles arms and then raise your arm in a circular motion. The 2nd move is the rip, again inside arm low, hit tackles arms up and then use outside arm to push past.

I very well could be remembering this incorrectly, but I could have swore that's what he showed.

I also think raks success as rolb, could be in large part due to the level of talent between rt and lts

Re reading the posts it looks like you guts may have been talking about stripping the ball as well as pass rushing, in the case I could see how having they're dominant hand outside could help. Again though, im a long lanky guy I've never played in the front 7

The importance of scoring points on offense to accumulating high sack numbers on defense can hardly be understated. Big leads mean that the other team's offense has to drop back to pass more often, which in turn means that the D-line and blitzers can pin their ears back and go after the QB without being as mindful of the running game. The best example I can think of is Freeney and Mathis, who were absolutely beastly when Peyton Manning gave them big leads to defend but who became less effective when the Colts had an awful offense in 2011.

---------- Post added May-25th-2012 at 01:53 PM ----------

Forgive me if I'm wrong about this, but often when Orakpo was rushing from the left side, Kerrigan was rushing from the same side. In other words, Haslett sometimes used a defensive formation in which both Orakpo and Kerrigan would, essentially, overload one side. I remember we made some big defensive plays out of formations like this.

Ironically both players played in their current positions in college - Kerrigan on the left side and Orakpo on the right. I think with Kerrigan's maturation we will see a lot more movement between the two in terms of where they lineup on any given play. Haslett was really moving Orakpo around a lot at the end of the year and it was very effective. He moved Orakpo inside at times to free up Bowen which was interesting. Needless to say, as all the guys that were new last year have become more comfortable, I fully expect to see our guys lined up at different spots regularly, especially when we have a lead.

It was also only a 14 game season. OTOH, much tougher to pass in those days.
That's in 14 games too. That's an average of just over 5 sacks per game.

They also had a higher point per game differential (+16.8 ppg) than points per game allowed (16.6 ppg)

Holy ****...that's an insane amount of sacks with 16 games even!

Archived