Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Skins OTA tweets thread

Somebody else asked if we had another thread like this...didn't see it so starting this one.

Grant Paulsen ‏@granthpaulsen

Stephen Bowen just spoke to us. He didn't participate today. Had a minor knee scope in mid April and should be 100% in 2 to 4 weeks.

Crazy moment of today's practice: Mike Shanahan was knocked to the ground by Brandyn Thompson during accidental collision at mid-field...

Team spokesman says he is fine but that he is not going to be participating in his post-practice press conference this afternoon.

Griffin III: "The workout was good. I felt like I had pretty good command of the offense, knew where I was going with the ball."

Robert Griffin on Shanahan taking a shot in practice: "He showed some toughness, stuck it out.. It was pretty scary."

Robert Griffin III joked on why he wears a glove on left hand: "The simple answer to that is, I was a huge Michael Jackson fan growing up."

London Fletcher on Shanahan taking a hit: "It was pretty bad looking.. he had his back to the play.. very scary feeling for a while."

London Fletcher endorsed the #Redskins' decision to name RG3 the starter earlier in offseason. Says the question won't come up now.

London Fletcher on Jarvis Jenkins: "He's a big kid, athletic, can rush the passer." Praised his rehab program and studying during injury.

DeAngelo Hall was not at the #Redskins' OTA session today. He was the only player not in attendance.

Recovering #Redskins who weren't full participation in practice: Leonard Hankerson, Stephen Bowen, Kory Lichtensteiger, Tim Hightower.

Fred Davis' 1st public comments since his 2011 drug suspension: "Lesson learned. When you do something you've got to take the consequences"

Fred Davis on altering his life-style: "It's not really hard. You choose to be around. You've got to.. know the worth of being in the #NFL."

Fred Davis: "The lockout made me a little bit more free with doing that. All that free time. Now, I realize what's important.. football."

Fred Davis: "Not being able to be out there with my teammates was probably the hardest part." Said losing 4 pay checks "was hard too."

Davis: "You don't see many guys get [franchised] after something like that but I've been blessed to. I'm definitely going to respect that.

RexGrossman: "I'm preparing to play if need be. That's how it is for everybody in the world except for 32 [QB's]. I don't fit into the 32."

Rex Grossman: "My mindset is to go out there and do my job, help the young guys get ready and go compete at the same time."

Cali you need some help man? I got a good amount of tweets I can copy & paste for your thread.

YES!!! lol

---------- Post added May-21st-2012 at 11:17 AM ----------

Mike Jones ‏@MikeJonesWaPo

Fred Davis said he's learned "not to play w rules," and vows that his weed-smoking days are over.

Santana Moss said WRs and RGIII developing good connection, says he's impressed w the rookie but cautions against unfair expectations.

Griffin: "I felt like I had a pretty good control of the offense, knew where I was going w the ball."

Griffin said he was "honored to be out there" w the veterans.

Griffin said the #Redskins offense does a great job of fooling the defenses and setting up for open bootlegs.

Griffin on Cooley and Moss: "I completed a pass to each of them, so I guess I'm in the NFL now."

Fletcher on Griffin: "you can see the maturity ... The approach of naming him the starter right away was the right thing".

Fletcher says Griffin hasn't come in w the sense of entitlement that some first-round picks do. He says RGIII is working hard.

Fletcher says going into another year w out a QB "was not too appealing to me" and that he was happy to see Skins get Griffin.

Fletcher: getting Jarvis Jenkins back is like adding another high draft pick to the defense.

Fletcher on Griffin: "he THINKS he's a singer. He doesn't sound BAD, but he really thinks he can sing."

John Keim @john_keim

Stephen bowen had left knee scoped in april.won't be 100 per for 2-4 more weeks, he said. #redskins

Cooley says this is the best he's felt in a long time. #redskins

Cb brandyn thompson smacked into mike shanahan during ota practice. Shanahan was on the ground a few minutes. Got up; stayed. #redskins

RG3 says he likes the boot game with the #redskins. Says he's not used to having no defenders when on perimeter. #redskins

RG3 asked why he wears a glove on his left hand: "...I was a michael jackson fan growing up." #redskins

Fletcher says he's ben impressed w/RG3 and how he conducts himself. Says he's not like a lot of hi picks bec of his attitude. #redskins

One player missing: DeAngelo Hall. Could be a good reason; will update later. Fletch says he's been here in offseason. #redskins

Fred Davis on suspension: "It's one of those things that shouldn't happen and it definitely won't happen again in my career." #redskins

Cooley on RG3 and Leno appearance: "He's 100 percent accountable for the job he has." #redskins

Davis blamed the lockout in part for testing positive: "That's probably what it was, all that free time." #redskins

Mike Jones (The Insider) @Insider

‘It’s football season’: Redskins kick off OTAs: On Monday morning, the Washington Redskins kick off their first ... http://wapo.st/KWtat1

CindyBoren: RT @ESPNRadio980: From #Redskins OTA, Mike Shanahan was knocked down in a collision, he is fine, 'just a little woozy'. Also,...

MikeJonesWaPo: It was Garcon and Brandyn Thompson collided w Shanahan during a 7-on-7 drill late in practice. #Redskins

MikeJonesWaPo: Rober Griffin III will speak at the podium in a short bit. #Redskins

MikeJonesWaPo: Griffin: "I felt like I had a pretty good control of the offense, knew where I was going w the ball." #Redskins

MikeJonesWaPo: Griffin said he was "honored to be out there" w the veterans. #Redskins

MikeJonesWaPo: Griffin said the #Redskins offense does a great job of fooling the defenses and setting up for open bootlegs.

MikeJonesWaPo: Griffin on Cooley and Moss: "I completed a pass to each of them, so I guess I'm in the NFL now." #Redskins

MikeJonesWaPo: DeAngelo Hall was the only player at today's voluntary OTA session, but Fletcher said "he's been here" this offseason. #Re...

Coach Mike Shanahan knocked ‘woozy’ during practice collision: Washington Redskins Coach Mike Shanahan was injur... http://wapo.st/K4JzKg

---------- Post added May-21st-2012 at 02:23 PM ----------

Also practice notes from Redskins.com:

http://www.redskins.com/news-and-events/article-1/Monday-Practice-Notes-Full-Team-OTAs/f1f49866-0525-4a19-95d5-2848ea0eda41

For the first time in 2012, the Redskins rookies joined the veterans for full-team offseason team activities.

With light rain in the forecast for much of the day, head coach Mike Shanahan moved the practice to the indoor practice facilities. It was the first indoor practice open to the media in franchise history.

Due to the non-contact nature of OTA's, the team took the field in helmets, but no practice shells or pads.

Several players coming off of injury suited up but did not participate in drills, including running back Tim Hightower, receiver Leonard Hankerson, and defensive end Stephen Bowen. These three did work with the training staff on the sidelines, before watching drills with teammates.

The highlight of the practice was seven-on-seven drills, with quarterback Robert Griffin III and the first-team offense against the second team defense. The running backs and receivers rotated through the skill positions.

This was Griffin III's first introduction to "pressure," as the defense was permitted to shadow his movement and close the pocket. Griffin III was mobile in and out of the pocket, and flashed impressive speed when forced to tuck the ball and run.

Across the field, veteran quarterback Rex Grossman and rookie Kirk Cousins took snaps with the second-team offense. Defensive end Jarvis Jenkins rotated through the defensive line, looking comfortable for the first time since tearing his ACL in Week 3 of the preseason last year.

The play of the day likely went to rookie cornerback Richard Crawford, who made an athletic play on a pass from Griffin III during seven-on-seven drills. He showed great closing speed, and nearly made an over the shoulder interception, before the ball fell incomplete.

Practice also featured a kicking exhibition between incumbent Graham Gano and veteran free agent addition Neil Rackers.

While each kicker missed kicks, both showed great range, knocking it high off the walls from 40 yards.

Quarterback Griffin III and linebacker London Fletcher took to the podium to address the media following practice. More to come, later.

And RG3's post practice presser link:

http://www.redskins.com/media-gallery/videos/Robert-Griffin-III-5-21/aa1f1a90-7c88-4a99-80a8-61d1f6758247

Rich Tandler @ Rich_Tandler

@davekw24 Hank was a spectator, probably not ready until near minicamp in mid-June.

Some quick Twitter-sized notes from today's #Redskins OTA. http://bit.ly/K5AAdl

@monkeyhouserock Polumbus played a lot at LG

@Tim_Hightower is getting in some rehab work under the bubble. Straight speed looks good, question is cutting.

Talkin Points: More than just RG3 #Redskins http://bit.ly/KWsDam

@Ucalavia (Tanard) Jackson wore No. 34

If unable to click the link above, I'll paste those too. Good notes from OTAs:

Monday Talking Points: More than just RG3

he Talking Points are going to be brief today since we don’t know to whom we will be talking. Redskins PR promised us some folks at the podium and that we could catch players coming off of the field but no specifics were offered.

So we assume that we will get a chance to ask Robert Griffin III about his first OTA with the first-team offense and perhaps Pierre Garçon will talk about being on the receiving end of RG3’s passes. And maybe we can get London Fletcher to talk about what Griffin looked like from a defensive standpoint.

As you can tell, the talk is likely to be a lot about the rookie quarterback. But look for other, non-RG3 news and notes as well. I want to see how Jarvis Jenkins’ knee is doing nine months after his torn ACL and perhaps get a few words with Trent Williams to see what he has to say about taking his game to the next level. And perhaps a word with Chris Cooley, who should be ready to go in terms of health but may face an uphill battle to make the team.

We will get Mike Shanahan at the podium but Redskins PR has informed us that we will not be able to talk to any assistant coaches until minicamp next month.

OTA notes from the bubble

Here are practice notes from today’s OTA session under the bubble at Redskins Park. Since no tweeting was allowed, they are being presenting in Twitter-like fashion.

This will be interesting with 90 players practicing on one field. Not much room to operate.

Chris Cooley looking very fit, no wraps or braces on knee. Moving and cutting very well.

As the dropped back side by side, Griffin was taking snaps from a center, Rex Grossman was just holding the ball in front of himself. Trying to get RG3 used to taking direct snaps?

Trent Williams appears to have dropped a few pounds. Middle has shrunk some.

Josh Leribeus getting some right guad snaps. Some at center too.

RG3 is not getting cheated out of any reps. He is not just working with the No. 1 offense, he is handing off to Tristan Davis and throwing passes to Niles Paul.

Danny Smith is in midseason form, joking with reporters on the sideline and getting down in a three-point stance with the field goal protection team.

DeAngelo Hall not present. [Note: London Fletcher said after practice that Hall has been around for most of the offseason program.]

For having almost 90 players out there, things went pretty smoothly. There was a play where Griffin was ready to snap the ball but the defense was short a linebacker. They held up for a few seconds while the missing player got back into place.

Hopefully during the season RG3 will quick snap on that play to catch the defense shorthanded.

Paul with a nice catch of a Griffin rope. Then a nice one to Moss as he was going out of bounds.

Jarvis Jenkins has on a full knee brace but participated in team drills.

Neil Rackers booming some field goals, hitting the top of the camera tower from 40 yards out.

Rookie cornerback Richard Crawford was with Garçon step for step on a deep pass by Griffin and knocked it down. That drew some shouts of encouragement from the defensive starters on the other end of the field.

It looks like Trent Williams is taking more snaps than any other offensive lineman. After missing the last four games of the season and a few due to a knee injury earlier in the year he can use the work.

Head coach down! Mike Shanahan on the ground after getting mowed from the blindside by cornerback Brandyn Thompson. Shanny got up and appeared to shake it off.

Thanks for adding in yours, ST :thumbsup:...I definitely wouldn't be able to keep up with it all.

:ols:

No problem. A lot of the tweets are the same. But its nice to get different perspectives. I don't know how c4man can do his threads containing tweets from everybody. Good lord.

:ols:

I was about to ask why there hasn't been a "tweets thread" made yet in the Cooley thread and then told myself "ES... wait a few minutes, man". :ols:

Thanks in advance, fellas. :)

---------- Post added May-21st-2012 at 12:52 PM ----------

I'm pretty sure he's a cyborg.

A lot more of those have been popping up lately, huh?

Grant Paulsen ‏@granthpaulsen

Chris Cooley: "I feel great. This is the best I've felt in a while. It's a pleasure to be back. I'm excited to compete."

Chris Cooley: "I've done a lot of running over the last two months. I'm continuing to get my feet back under me, and my speed."

Chris Cooley says he's excited to prove that he's still the player that he thinks he can be and that he was. "That's what makes good teams."

Cooley: "It's a job that I love and it's a job that I've treasured for a long time.. It's something that I want to continue to do well."

ChrisCooley trusts he's healthy: "I spent 6 months with a swollen knee, and it took another 4 months before it felt like it should feel."

Cooley: "I can contribute to this team in any capacity, even if I'm not 'the guy,' which is what I want to be.. I'm going to be a factor."

Chris Cooley weighed 237 pounds today. He says he's weighing almost 20 pounds lighter than he's ever played.

Call me crazy but I believe Fred when he says that he will change his lifestyle, I think this will be the last time he will get caught. Trent Williams I don't think will be caught again but he seems a lot less genuine, I think Fred realized how much of a privilege being in the NFL is and I don't think he wants to squander that by smoking at the wrong time. I don't think we will have any problems with either from here on out.

Archived