Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

USA Today: Auto legend Carroll Shelby, father of the Cobra, dies

Teller

If you like Mustangs, or cars and horsepower in general, this is a sad day. RIP, Carroll.

Carroll Hall Shelby' date=' the Texan who created the famous Shelby Cobra and uncounted other high-performance machines that turned the auto world on its ear, and made it a whole lot more fun for 50 years, died in Dallas Thursday night at age 89. He had been hospitalized for pneumonia.[/quote']

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/driveon/post/2012/05/auto-legend-carroll-shelby-father-of-cobra-dies/1

1100 hp mustang but no way that is to the wheels, at crank maybe but more like 700 hp which is still mind blowing... RIP, I would love to own Eleanor.

There's so much going on at SEMA it's all-too easy to miss a few things. And while there are a ton of Mustangs, one would think that this Shelby prototype would have caught our attention – particularly since we were aware of its existence. Back in September we reported that on some potential future Shelby models, one of which was a 1,000 rwhp twin-turbo GT500.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/11/11/shelby-builds-1000-rwhp-twin-turbo-gt500-prototype-w-video/

:D

There's so much going on at SEMA it's all-too easy to miss a few things. And while there are a ton of Mustangs, one would think that this Shelby prototype would have caught our attention – particularly since we were aware of its existence. Back in September we reported that on some potential future Shelby models, one of which was a 1,000 rwhp twin-turbo GT500.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/11/11/shelby-builds-1000-rwhp-twin-turbo-gt500-prototype-w-video/

:D

That is insane if its truly ot the wheels, at crank yes but to transfer 1100 or 1800 hp's to the wheel would snap the drive terrain in half... unless its made of outter space material lol. Its very impressive dont get me wrong but I have dyno'd my car plenty of times (not a mustang) with tons of mods and what is at the crank is usaly not to the wheel. I would love to buy the Code Red but where the heck am I going to drive that thing in Virginia :-(

That is insane if its truly ot the wheels, at crank yes but to transfer 1100 or 1800 hp's to the wheel would snap the drive terrain in half... unless its made of outter space material lol. Its very impressive dont get me wrong but I have dyno'd my car plenty of times (not a mustang) with tons of mods and what is at the crank is usaly not to the wheel. I would love to buy the Code Red but where the heck am I going to drive that thing in Virginia :-(

1000 hp to the wheels isn't a completely unheard of feat even if it is very, very rare.

http://jalopnik.com/5640736/switzer-r1k-nissan-gt+r-breaks-1000-horsepower-at-the-wheels

Sad to lose an automotive Icon like him. As to 1000+ hp cars, there is an unrelated shelby trying to remain supreme...

although I don't care much for the design, the performance figures for this thing are staggering, it'll be interesting to see if it can match the Hennessey Venom GT

Honestly, when I went looking for links, I expected to find that it was 850 or so. The fact that I found site after site saying "over 1000" was a shock to me too. We're talking Veyron HP for $155,000 here. Just craziness.

---------- Post added May-12th-2012 at 06:05 PM ----------

EA, I'll leave my feelings about the GT-R out of Mr. Shelby's thread, just out of respect. But suffice it to say that I'm a fan. :)

Honestly, when I went looking for links, I expected to find that it was 850 or so. The fact that I found site after site saying "over 1000" was a shock to me too. We're talking Veyron HP for $155,000 here. Just craziness.

---------- Post added May-12th-2012 at 06:05 PM ----------

EA, I'll leave my feelings about the GT-R out of Mr. Shelby's thread, just out of respect. But suffice it to say that I'm a fan. :)

Let's talk about GTR, King of the road :) just to clunky for my taste (meaning too large and strange looking lol)

Archived