Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL: RG3 trademarks name, 'Unbelievably Believable' tag

21MadFan

Correct this is what Lavar did. He trademarked his name and wanted profits from all Video Games using his name.

So his name was LB 56.

Hoping RG3 allows them to use his name.

---------- Post added May-10th-2012 at 07:19 PM ----------

Oh man, you are right. It was 57. Not 56. HAHA

wasn't Lemar Marshall on the team at that time? aka highway 57

what a disgrace to Ken Harvey's number.

Man I hope he lives up to what he is bringing! After all the superman socks, no pressure no diamonds and 'Unbelievably Believable' slogans the only thing he hasn't done yet is actually play football for my home team. I hope the guy can actually play.

RG3 has inspired a sig edit

---------- Post added May-10th-2012 at 03:25 PM ----------

wasn't Lemar Marshall on the team at that time? aka highway 57

what a disgrace to Ken Harvey's number.

Marshall was phenomenal for 1 year after Pierce left, and then he slid in production. I believe he was 98.

Warrick Holdman was highway 57

RG3 has inspired a sig edit

---------- Post added May-10th-2012 at 03:25 PM ----------

Marshall was phenomenal for 1 year after Pierce left, and then he slid in production. I believe he was 98.

Warrick Holdman was highway 57

ah that's right, Marshall was 98 if I remember correctly.

got my names mixed upl

lavar and Holdman were on the team together in 2005, according to wiki, arrington had #51 in 2004 because he was not a member of the NFLPA, for what it's worth.

As I posted elsewhere, MANY celebrities, athletes, musicians, etc do this type of thing. When someone reaches that status, their name becomes a brand, and it only makes sense to protect that brand. It just isn't reported as big news most of the time.

It doesn't mean you can't use the name, or expression, or whatever, but if you want to use it to make money, you need to get permission from the trademark holder to do that. It will then be his decision whether to allow it, or to charge for it...usually either a one-time fee or a percentage of sales.

Sounds like the guy is very smart and has smart people around him.

It doesn't mean you can't use the name' date=' or expression, or whatever, but if you want to use it to make money, you need to get permission from the trademark holder to do that. It will then be his decision whether to allow it, or to charge for it...usually either a one-time fee or a percentage of sales.[/quote']

From what I read earlier about trademarks, people can still use "RG3", "RGIII" and "Robert Griffin iii" to make money...they just can't use those names/phrases as branding. If someone started up a company called "RG3 Apparel" that would be against trademark laws. But if someone put "RG3" on a t-shirt in some graphic manner, then the trademarking of "RG3" wouldn't cover that...he would have to have it copyrighted as well.

It's a smart move by a smart kid. I'd assume it was his handlers ideas. I saw a sneaker commercial with him in it today. I don't think he'll get caught up in the fame.

Was it any better than Cam's commercial with his personal dj? Don't know why but i hate that one.

This is unbelievably believable.

I take that to mean "the fact that he trademarked his name is a big, fat 'duh'". Speaking of, "unbelievably believable" sounds like "extraordinarily ordinary". But whatever. I really don't mind how he markets himself. I am already a fan. :P

Looks like he will be the owner of a some new word marks in a few months, as long as there isn't a chance he bridges the gap and expands into lawn care services. http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4003:3ecaa0.2.2

---------- Post added May-11th-2012 at 11:09 AM ----------

From what I read earlier about trademarks, people can still use "RG3", "RGIII" and "Robert Griffin iii" to make money...they just can't use those names/phrases as branding. If someone started up a company called "RG3 Apparel" that would be against trademark laws. But if someone put "RG3" on a t-shirt in some graphic manner, then the trademarking of "RG3" wouldn't cover that...he would have to have it copyrighted as well.

It's a little more nuanced than that. There are two principal purposes of trademark law, protecting businesses and protecting the consumer. If there is a likelihood of confusion as to the source of the goods he could still seek injunction.

Was it any better than Cam's commercial with his personal dj? Don't know why but i hate that one.

I'm with you on that one. Yeah? your club is a football field and your dj spins sound FX from your practice? :jerk:

I think the worst part about that commercial is the end when he does that superman thing and then yells "WHAT!"

I sure hope RG3's people come up with something much better.

That has to be the most annoying (sports?) commercial I ever seen.

Yeah as of right now i'd have to vote yes.

---------- Post added May-12th-2012 at 09:13 PM ----------

I'm with you on that one. Yeah? your club is a football field and your dj spins sound FX from your practice? :jerk:

I think the worst part about that commercial is the end when he does that superman thing and then yells "WHAT!"

I sure hope RG3's people come up with something much better.

LOL, i'm pretty sure that's the reason i hate it too. The whole "what" bit after his DJ does what he does.

I think if you're an Redskins fan, you're gonna be predisposed to think this is wonderful. But let this have been Eli Manning coming out as a rookie, or some hotshot Cowboys rookie, ES would be in uproar. lol

Haha. That is probably pretty accurate. We would be talking so much **** if the Cowboys drafted a new QB in the top 5 and he did that. But oh well. It is what it is I suppose.

Archived