Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL: RG3 trademarks name, 'Unbelievably Believable' tag

21MadFan

I think if you're an Redskins fan, you're gonna be predisposed to think this is wonderful. But let this have been Eli Manning coming out as a rookie, or some hotshot Cowboys rookie, ES would be in uproar. lol

Some would, yep lol :yes:...but it's way too common nowadays, so it would be easy to diffuse the faux outrage.

Interestingly enough, someone started a thread on Cowboyszone about this, and said RG3 was starting to be "swallowed" by his huge ego lol...and pretty much ALL Cowboys fans on that thread shot his viewpoint down and called it stupid.

Some would, yep lol :yes:...but it's way too common nowadays, so it would be easy to diffuse the faux outrage.

Interestingly enough, someone started a thread on Cowboyszone about this, and said RG3 was starting to be "swallowed" by his huge ego lol...and pretty much ALL Cowboys fans on that thread shot his viewpoint down and called it stupid.

He interpreted "no pressure, no diamonds" to mean that he doesn't mind the pressure because he will be a diamond. LOL

He interpreted "no pressure, no diamonds" to mean that he doesn't mind the pressure because he will be a diamond. LOL

Uhh, isn't that the correct interpretation? That pressure is what creates diamonds, and so he embraces it so he will become one?

I think if you're an Redskins fan, you're gonna be predisposed to think this is wonderful. But let this have been Eli Manning coming out as a rookie, or some hotshot Cowboys rookie, ES would be in uproar. lol

What I find even more interesting is if Cam Newton did something like this the media would be like a school of phiranas in a feeding frenzy.

Uhh, isn't that the correct interpretation? That pressure is what creates diamonds, and so he embraces it so he will become one?

Loosely. It moreso just generally means that without pressure, you can't succeed. Not that he will be a diamond because pressure is on him.

That has to be the most annoying (sports?) commercial I ever seen.

The commercial is pretty lame. especially with the "DJ" hammering away at 2 buttons on his little mixer to make the same sounds over and over like he's doing something truly skillful.

Was it any better than Cam's commercial with his personal dj? Don't know why but i hate that one.

Its the end when he lurches at the screen like a hardass and says "what???". Its so Floyd Mayweather.

---------- Post added May-14th-2012 at 07:24 PM ----------

I don't like the Cam Newton commercial either. The "what" at the end is just ignorant.

Damn. You beat me to it.

RG ONE ONE ONE!!!

I'm a "III", too. Phonetically, it's usually spoken as "i, i, i".

Kinda like the opening to Ozzy's Crazy Train.... aye, aye, aye... (eye, eye, eye) ;)

I get junk mail all the time addressed to Mr Iii.

I've wondered why he puts "GRIFFIN III" on his jersey.

If a player is a junior, do they put "SMITH JR" on their jersey?

If someone has a son, do they put "JONES SR" on their jersey?

Why not just "GRIFFIN"?

Why not just "GRIFFIN"?

You must not know much about our new QB. Look it up, its very important to him and his family.

---------- Post added May-14th-2012 at 10:42 PM ----------

The "what!" doesn't bother me at all, because he's smiling/smirking rather than trying to look like a serious badass. Seems playful and confident to me, and kinda funny. Not "ignorant", how that word even fits in any context here is beyond me.

Yeah I kinda agree with Conn on this one. I don't think the Cam commercial is that good but the "what" at the end doesn't bother me too much because he seems to just be smiling like a goofball when he does it, not super serious like glowering into the camera and yelling "WHAT?" like he is some mean badass.

I'm a "III", too. Phonetically, it's usually spoken as "i, i, i".

Kinda like the opening to Ozzy's Crazy Train.... aye, aye, aye... (eye, eye, eye) ;)

I get junk mail all the time addressed to Mr Iii.

Why not just "GRIFFIN"?

It's actually a joke. Another member in here who doesn't post very often, kept typing his name as RG 1 1 1. Three ones in a row. So, that's just a joke on my part. I'm a Junior myself, hence the PJ in my username.

---------- Post added May-15th-2012 at 07:56 AM ----------

The "what!" doesn't bother me at all, because he's smiling/smirking rather than trying to look like a serious badass. Seems playful and confident to me, and kinda funny. Not "ignorant", how that word even fits in any context here is beyond me.

That was me who said ignorant. I could use stupid, idiotic or another word if you want me to. I'm not saying Cam is ignorant, I'm saying the way the commercial ends with him saying "what" makes no sense, hence is ignorant to me.

You must not know much about our new QB. Look it up, its very important to him and his family.

I know the story...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2012/story/_/id/7820629/robert-griffin-iii-more-just-name-baylor-heisman-winner-espn-magazine

"...the moment Robby showed up for that first game proudly wearing his Roman numeral, Robert Jr. realized his son -- soon to be known as RG3 -- had become his own man"

But even as a "III", I guess I don't understand why emphasizing he's "become his own man" would be more important than being identified by the same naming convention as the rest of the team and the rest of the league... surname with first initial(s) only if someone else on the same team has the same surname.

If anything it could be interpreted as taking explicit steps to seperate himself away from the legacy of his father and grandfather, instead of honoring the shared heritage.

Oh well, it's better than changing your name to "Ocho Cinco".

And better than the XFL trend of letting you put any name that you want on the jersey:

http://www.faniq.com/blog/Hilarious-Last-Names-On-Pro-Sports-Uniforms-Blog-23932

FWIW, it looks like the NFL rule only requires the last name... not a unique initial if another player has the same surname...

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=lukas/081017&sportCat=nfl

"...every player is required to wear his last name (well, usually), but the rules requiring same-surnamed teammates to wear first initials, and same-surnamed and -initialed players to wear their full names, were scrapped prior to the start of last season. There was never any official explanation, but Uni Watch's understanding is that the move was prompted by the Patriots' signing of Kyle Brady back in March of 2007: If a "T." had suddenly been added to Tom Brady's nameplate, fans with Brady jerseys would have been left with a choice of either wearing an inaccurate "Brady" nameplate (clearly unacceptable to most Pats fanatics) or having to drop a few hundred bucks on the new version. The NFL honchos are greedy, but they're not that greedy (or at least they don't want to be perceived that way), so they changed the rule. Tom and Kyle have both worn "Brady" with no initial, and teams now have the option to handle these situations however they like."

Not intended as a rant, just curious off-season rambling.

I know the story...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2012/story/_/id/7820629/robert-griffin-iii-more-just-name-baylor-heisman-winner-espn-magazine

"...the moment Robby showed up for that first game proudly wearing his Roman numeral, Robert Jr. realized his son -- soon to be known as RG3 -- had become his own man"

But even as a "III", I guess I don't understand why emphasizing he's "become his own man" would be more important than being identified by the same naming convention as the rest of the team and the rest of the league... surname with first initial(s) only if someone else on the same team has the same surname.

If anything it could be interpreted as taking explicit steps to seperate himself away from the legacy of his father and grandfather, instead of honoring the shared heritage.

At what point did you actually think that sentence made even a lick of sense? lol...

By putting the "III" after his name, he is DIRECTLY acknowledging his father and grandfather, by letting everyone know he is not the first...that he, his father and grandfather are all together both in name and spirit.

The only way he could "separate himself" away from their legacy would be by changing his name altogether.

You have won the "Biggest Reach" Award, sir! :applause:

Corbis-U85164052-10.jpg?size=67&uid=d5e6ab00-2270-4662-aea3-6f80419770e9

At what point did you actually think that sentence made even a lick of sense? lol...

You have won the "Biggest Reach" Award, sir!

Ken Griffey Jr wore "Griffey" on his jersey. If he wore "Griffey Jr" would that have provided more unity with his father and the family connection, or would it be a step towards indicating isolation and individuality?

No "reach" intended. I'm a RG3 fan. Just pondering.

But thanks for the award....

"It's a Major Award. I won it!

Damn, hell, you say won it?

Yeah, mind power, Swede; mind power."

Anyone know of any players that use "Jr" on their jersey?

I found 6 players with "Jr" on the the historical NFL rosters...

http://www.nfl.com/players/search?category=name&filter=jr.&playerType=historical

But I don't know if they used "Jr" on their jersey.

No listings on the historical rosters with a "III" suffix.

---------- Post added May-15th-2012 at 01:13 PM ----------

No listings on the historical rosters with a "III" suffix.

Found one... "Cecil Shorts III" on the Jags...

http://www.jaguars.com/team/roster/Cecil-Shorts%20III/60d21117-c27a-4fc4-b0f3-5580e85fe9fa

But just "Shorts" on his shirts... :D

http://www.authenticfootballstore.com/authentic-nike-cecil-shorts-jersey.html

Ken Griffey Jr wore "Griffey" on his jersey. If he wore "Griffey Jr" would that have provided more unity with his father and the family connection, or would it be a step towards indicating isolation and individuality?

No "reach" intended. I'm a RG3 fan. Just pondering.

RG3 himself says he wanted the "III" on his jersey to honor the men that he shares that name with, and to acknowledge that lineage.

At what point did that stop mattering to you when analyzing this?

You took a snippet of the article--a quote from RG3's dad--and somehow thought it backed up your claims of Griffin "emphasizing he's 'become his own man' " and that it showed he felt it "more important than being identified by the same naming convention as the rest of the team and the rest of the league"...for starters, you took his father's quote waaaaaay out of context. Second, other players have modified their names and had it reflected on their jerseys for personal reasons. For example:

MLB London Fletcher has changed his last name to Fletcher-Baker after his recent marriage. Why the hyphen? Fletcher told buffalobills.com that he legally changed his last name to Baker two years ago to honor his grandfather and father; he's the last male in the family with the Baker name.

Adding "III" to your last name is no different than adding "-Baker" to your last name. Robert Griffin III is indeed the third "robert griffin" in his family...and he, like London Fletcher, wanted to honor his father and grandfather with his last name. That's why ConnSkins said to read up on it, because if anyone knows the story, there's no way in hell they're thinking his having "III" on his jersey shows a desire to separate himself from his lineage or from the league. They'd already know that RG3 considers that designation an honor, and wants his name to be known as such.

RG3 himself says he wanted the "III" on his jersey to honor the men that he shares that name with, and to acknowledge that lineage.

At what point did that stop mattering to you when analyzing this?

You took a snippet of the article--a quote from RG3's dad--and somehow thought it backed up your claims of Griffin "emphasizing he's 'become his own man' " and that it showed he felt it "more important than being identified by the same naming convention as the rest of the team and the rest of the league"...for starters, you took his father's quote waaaaaay out of context.

My apologies if your interpretation is different than mine.

I don't see where RG3 says "he wanted the "III" on his jersey to honor the men that he shares that name with, and to acknowledge that lineage" and I don't see how the article that I quoted and linked to was out of context.

"The kid never gave much thought to his suffix. His father would call him Rob or Robert, and his mother called him Robby. They made it a point to never refer to him as Trey or The Third. The idea was to let him evolve on his own..."

Since the "III" suffix is part of my own name (and yes, my son is "IV"), I see the suffix as the primary way to emphasize the individual who otherwise shares a common name with his previous generations.

If RG3 sees explicitly attaching the suffix (the only unique part of his name) as a way to "honor the men that he shares that name with" then that's fine.

IMHO, wearing "Griffey" on a jersey honors the family name more than "Griffey Jr" would've. "Griffey Jr" is an individual. Likewise, "Griffin III" is an individual; "Griffin" would seem to be more inclusive. But I certainly respect RG3's interpretation and intent.

Archived