Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Trent Williams intends to become a better player and leader M.E.T.

aqq

Ok I changed the title to comply with the rules.

For the people wondering why i say he might not get it is because he says he made no lifestyle changes. From the media reports Trent Williams failed multiple drug tests last yr. One report suggests he failed drug tests before the lockout was over and then after the lockout as well. He lost a good amount of money and let down the team in process. After all that he says he doesnt need to make lifestyle changes?? i think thats exactly what he should be concerned about. Not leading the team. I think that ship has sailed.

It not just failing the drug tests; his work ethic has always been a knock on him and until we see some consistent play from him it will continue to be. I just would have liked him to acknowledge that not only was doing drugs a mistake but that his lifestyle choices thus far has been questionable.

Funny, when I received the link to this from the Post yesterday it actually heartened me.

I think the OP's putting two and two together on a couple of informal quotes and coming up with ten. I have ZERO doubt both Williams and FreddieD have been torn a new one behind closed doors by Shanahan to the extent that personally I have NO worries on a repeat of this. They screwed up. They've both been embarrassed to all Hell publicly; and they both have way to much to lose to be so naive again. I personally wouldn't read too much into him saying he plans to make 'no lifestyle changes' as that literally meaning he plans to continue doing what he did to put himself and his Coahes and teammates at risk.

And where's the question's on his work ethic been through his time here? There was a knock on that at OU, but I've not heard any reports of that coming out of the park here.

Your making a complete mountain out of a molehill from a non-story IMHO.

Hail.

Ok I changed the title to comply with the rules.

For the people wondering why i say he might not get it is because he says he made no lifestyle changes. From the media reports Trent Williams failed multiple drug tests last yr. One report suggests he failed drug tests before the lockout was over and then after the lockout as well. He lost a good amount of money and let down the team in process. After all that he says he doesnt need to make lifestyle changes?? i think thats exactly what he should be concerned about. Not leading the team. I think that ship has sailed.

It not just failing the drug tests; his work ethic has always been a knock on him and until we see some consistent play from him it will continue to be. I just would have liked him to acknowledge that not only was doing drugs a mistake but that his lifestyle choices thus far has been questionable.

The problem with the "Failed Multiple Drug Test" thing is that those "multiple drug test" came in a very short time period. Marijuana can stick in your system for weeks; it's not surprising that he failed multiple drug test if he kept getting drug tested and the same violation kept popping up over and over and over again. It's not like he got tested and said "**** it, I'ma keep smokin'!".

And we DID see consistent play from his last year. And your "he shouldn't be concerned with being a leader on the team, he should be concerned with making lifestyle changes!" notion is extremely flawed, as the simple move to not smoke weed anymore as to keep from losing his job already constitutes a lifestyle change, AND can serve as a positive example of a leader in the lockerroom of how one can learn and move forward from their mistakes.

Starting left tackle and top 5 draft pick is one suspensions away from being suspended for the year says he doesnt need to change his lifestyle and i'm a chicken little. i think its worth a discussion.

It also shouldn't have taken him 5 months to address the media. Just man up and address it.

You do realize that many players have gone on to lead their team after incidents like this, right?

You also realize that he is regularly rated out as one of the better LTs when he plays, don't you? His pass blocking is very good, and his run blocking is solid as well.

Starting left tackle and top 5 draft pick is one suspensions away from being suspended for the year says he doesnt need to change his lifestyle and i'm a chicken little. i think its worth a discussion.

It also shouldn't have taken him 5 months to address the media. Just man up and address it.

What opportunity did he have to talk, dude? Shanny didn't let Williams and Davis talk when they got suspended, and talking after the season would've been beating a dead horse. This was the first time he was back in town and in front of the media since he got suspended.

Some people just dig and dig and dig for something to not like about people they don't like...

This board amazes me. Trading your franchise LT is a horrible idea.

Everyone is tradable in the eyes of this board. Hell, wouldn't put it past someone to want to trade Griffin the moment he puts up 2 INTs in a game. I got $100 that says someone will say it.

It is a fair question. What is Trent sorry for? Sorry that he smoked weed or sorry that he got caught? Marijuana use is very much a lifestyle in itself. So if he hasn't made any lifestyle changes I'd be concerned.

If it was a part of his lifestyle, and he admits it was mistake, and understands he cant make the same mistakes again or else won't be playing football anymore, I think it goes without saying that he has to have changed said lifestyle....

In saying he hasnt made any specific lifestyle changes, I think it's safe to say he didnt feel getting high was part of his lifestyle.

Now if he was a regular smoker and is just in denial at this stage, then yeah there's reason for concern lol.

Any notion that Trent will be fine because he has a lot to lose or because Shanny might have ripped him a new one or because he was embarrassed, needs to learn more about human behavior.

One would think that have millions of dollars to lose would be motivation enough.

Trying to figure out what would make some people happy. Was Trent supposed to start going to church, saying his prayers and eating his vitamins, brother? Dude got caught. If he gets caught again, he's out of the leagye for the year and possibly out of a job.

Just not smoking pot, in and of itself, is a pretty big lifestyle change. Just because he didn't bare his soul about how sorry he was doesn't mean much.

What opportunity did he have to talk, dude? Shanny didn't let Williams and Davis talk when they got suspended, and talking after the season would've been beating a dead horse. This was the first time he was back in town and in front of the media since he got suspended.

Some people just dig and dig and dig for something to not like about people they don't like...

I found Trent's interview RIVETING!

Of course it's also possible that Trent's definition of "lifestyle change" is different than your definition of "lifestyle change", which could be different from yet someone else's definition of "lifestyle change"...

Then again, it could also be that Trent knows his pot use was not connected to his "lifestyle", thus, no real need to change it...

Then yet again, maybe Trent doesn't want to place the blame for his pot use on anything or anyone but himself and his decisions, and feels blaming his "lifestyle" would be diminishing his ownership of everything...

But, yeah, let's go with "D": Trent hasn't learned from his mistakes and we should try and trade him before he's suspended again. :thumbsup:

At some point we have to step back and trust that Shanahan knows what he's doing on player selection, and that he trusts his guys. If he trusts Trent to not screw up again, then I think we're going to have to take him at his word for the time being.

Williams is a very good LT with the potential to be consistently elite. We have no other option in that regard, unless we think Smith is ready to do the job. While I think Smith has a bright future, I don't think he's ready to anchor the line.

Talk of trading Williams is just not gonna fly. The only way I could see that move making sense is if we were in position to draft a starting LT next year at least as good as Williams. Basically, we'd have to be sitting on Matt Kalil for it to make any sense, and the odds of us being in position to draft a Matt Kalil-style player are slim to none. Williams has more value to us than to any other team, so we might as well enjoy having a borderline-elite to straight-up-elite LT.

Not making any excuses for Trent and Fred but i think both were victim of the lockout last year. They both thought it was ok to smoke weed since there were no rules put in place in the offseason. They Lockout is over...and all of a sudden they have to take a piss test...Of course they fail test #1. Also from what i heard 29 days later the NFL decides to randomly test both of them again with test #2 and of course they fail again. Weed stays in your system up to 30-35 days. I think its a honest mistake that wont happen again.

No way weed would stay in the urine of an athlete for 30-35 days. The blood and hair sure, but if it's just simple urine tests... you can pound water all day to have a fair shot at beating one of those. It's pretty simple, you sit these guys down and tell them to earn their millions now, move to California and get high the rest of their lives later. Marijuana addiction isn't some impossible addiction to get over. They just need to not be in the wrong situations, IE around people smoking trees all the time.

But he didn't say that.

In fact, we're not sure WHAT he said in terms of "lifestyle changes".

What we do know, is how Mike Jones of the Washington Post decided to paraphrase Williams' words: "Williams said he hasn’t had to make any specific lifestyle changes, but that he knows how to carry himself in the future.."

From this short article at least, we don't have a clue as to what Williams actually said...nor do we have any clue to exactly how the question was asked to him, nor of how he interpreted the question that he answered. If you only read that blog post, you can't even say if the words "lifestyle change" were said at all by Williams OR the media member asking the question.

So what we have here...is someone paraphrasing Williams' words, then someone else trying to decipher Williams' mindset based off of someone else's paraphrasing of Williams' answer to a question we don't even know was asked.

So why in the **** would you or anyone feel they can adequately gauge how seriously Williams is taking all of this? :doh:

Archived