Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

cbssports.com: ESPN, NFL Network tweak draft coverage; won't show draftees in Green Room

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/18655109/espn-nfl-network-tweak-draft-coverage-wont-show-draftees-in-green-room

According to Sports Illustrated's Richard Deitsch, after the league met with ESPN and the NFL Network on Wednesday, the three entities have decided to turn up the intrigue on the drama.

Deitsch writes that the NFL Network and ESPN have agreed not to “show a draftee on the phone in the Green Room prior to the pick on the first night of the NFL Draft.” In past years obviously, those Green Room shots let the viewer knew who Roger Goodell was about to announce before Goodell could get to the podium and actually say the name.

This way, nobody except the draftee -- and whoever is sitting next to him in the Green Room -- will know which player the next team on the clock will take until Goodell announces it.

I like that. It has been annoying watching it the last few years when they are talking about who will get picked, then they show a guy on the phone. Or in the case of Tebow a few years ago, you see the Broncos make a trade, then they show Tebow's house and he's on the phone with a Broncos hat on. It does take away some of the intrigue in watching.

I guesst that's cool. I always liked seeing the expressions on the players faces when they truly found out where they were going while on the phone.

I love it... I like the fact that we're not going to know until it's announced. I'm sure they're going to have video of the players getting their phone call that they will show after they are picked.

Yes!!! Absolutely love this. I have long HATED when they show the player talking on the phone before the pick is announced, essentially giving away the pick and the suspense that goes with it. I was ****ing about this last year in the draft thread. They've finally wised up and I think the draft will be that much better.

Yes!!! Absolutely love this. I have long HATED when they show the player talking on the phone before the pick is announced, essentially giving away the pick and the suspense that goes with it. I was ****ing about this last year in the draft thread. They've finally wised up and I think the draft will be that much better.

You mean the good ole "Wonder if they'll be looking at a CB from Florida State here" in reference to Cromartie? That was hysterical because no one was talking him until they started getting wind of him to SD

Now, if we could just find a way to get Chris Berman to STFU.

More of Kiper and other pundits, less of Berman and his idiots would make my viewing experience 1000x better.

At least the draft is more spread out now, and not like 20 hours long. Berman made it almost unbearable to watch back 6-7 years ago. Didn't even try to hide the fact that he was/is a Grade A *******.

Why can't they show that footage afterwards? You don't miss much by not seeing it live.

I agree. They can and I'm sure they will show the phone call after the announcement is made. For me, showing the player on the phone before the announcement lessened the intrigue and excitement.

Archived