Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Nats Thread (old thread link inside, too many load issues)

hunterx

I am liking this team we just have to do better with RISP....we do good with 2 outs but we could do alot more damage if we could hit with 0 or 1 out.

I am just hoping this is not playing above our level and this is actually the level we can sustain all year....scarily I feel like we can be better if Zim can get hitting more consistent and Morse can come back healthy.

I am liking this team we just have to do better with RISP....we do good with 2 outs but we could do alot more damage if we could hit with 0 or 1 out.

I am just hoping this is not playing above our level and this is actually the level we can sustain all year....scarily I feel like we can be better if Zim can get hitting more consistent and Morse can come back healthy.

You almost have to expect the pitching to fall back some, hopefully it will be offset by increased production from the offense.

Funny play at the plate but please don't do that you could get hurt real bad Zim!

---------- Post added April-16th-2012 at 10:06 PM ----------

Considering we are either last or next to it in total HR's...I really hope our pitching does not lapse too much ! We really just have 3 guys capable of hitting HR when they are at bat in Zimm, LaRoche and Werth...and only LaRoche has found the fence twice (almost a third tonight!). Our other 3 HR's are from Desmond, Espinosa and Nady.

Morse will help but we still need power from those guys once in a while.

I don't mind being aggressive on the base pads, but sometimes you just recognize you're beat.

Zimm made the decision to dive like that, not Porter.

But there's no need to send him in that situation. Your #5 hitter (Werth) is coming up to bat, you're up by 3 runs and it's late in the game. He was out by 10 feet, his path was blocked by the catcher and he was running full speed. Not much option there but to try & dive over him, run him over or try to come to a dead stop. The dive over/around was the best option. But he shouldn't have been put in that position. Bad coaching on that play.

I don't mind going for it there. With 2 outs and it being the top of the 9th, you try to get an insurance run while you can. Although with a hot hitting Werth I can see why you wouldn't. I think it's 50/50 either way, I always like going for home though when you can. Make the other team make a play. More often then not you'll see the OF make a poor throw or the C drop the ball.

I don't mind going for it there. With 2 outs and it being the top of the 9th, you try to get an insurance run while you can. Although with a hot hitting Werth I can see why you wouldn't. I think it's 50/50 either way, I always like going for home though when you can. Make the other team make a play. More often then not you'll see the OF make a poor throw or the C drop the ball.

though i didnt see the play, it seems as if it was a risky dive to try to score while already up by 3 runs late in the game...wait until he gets hurt and is out for a couple of months.. id think youd change youre tune.

i believe something similar happened to josh hamilton last year.

I wasn't talking about the dive, but the decision to go for home. Obviously the dive is dangerous but hey, if you're gunna play you're gunna play. A guy like Zimmerman isn't going to go half speed. That's what we love about him. Yeah it would have sucked if he got hurt, but guys can get hurt doing anything. You can't play the game and then try to play at anything less than 100%. You actually get hurt more doing that.

I think you're right, they should have held him up. Maybe not later in the season or heck even if its a 1 run game but didn't we have a 3 run cushion there? Werth has been hot of late and I think it would have been wiser to keep him at 3rd.

First season every that I am excited for every single game. Usually it's just 1 or 2 starters I was interested in. This year, each of our 5 pitchers has a chance to throw 10K's and have a complete game. It's a great time for baseball!

Here's some Nats stats thus far:

Offense

Runs: Tied 12th (45)

Hits: 2nd (102)

Doubles: T-8th (19)

Triples: T-22nd (1)

Home Runs: T-25th (6)

Strike Outs (bad): T-28th (85)

Batting Average: 9th (.258)

Defense:

ERA: 1st (2.08)

Inning Pitched: 1st (104.0)

Runs: T-3rd (30)

Earned Runs: 3rd (24)

Strike Outs: 1st (108)

Home Runs Allowed: 1st (2)

Walks: T-21st (36)

Opp. Batting Average: 1st (.195)

WHIP: T-2nd (1.06)

Our pitching stats are dominant... Our offensive stats need work. We have to make more of our opportunities.

Detwiler has looked good, despite the bad 1 inning he "pitched" the other day. His next start will be to open up the series with the Marlins. That could be a tough task for him, as he won't have the advantage of watching his co-pitchers work the Marlins to get a few free scouting games. What's the latest on Chien-Ming Wang? Is the #5 spot guaranteed to be his when he returns? Would that be later this month? I think there was talk about Detwiler getting 4-5 starts before Wang returns.

Pitching is the strong point of the team. Wait til the hitting comes around some more.

Some more? I personally think that the hitting is over-achieving by leaps and bounds. You really think Ian Desmond is going to keep a .346 average for the season? Same thing with LaRoche. LF/CF is still a black hole of offensive production. We have to get more production out of LF. Still think Lombo should be given some playing time there

Archived