Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Last Night's Chalk Talk (8/8)

Redskins Ruckus

I was at last night's event at FedEx field and listened to Michaels and Danny Smith talk. If I were a betting man, I would say we will take a stab at RGIII but not compete with the Browns if they go all-in. We'll keep our full draft and take Tannehill at #6.

---------- Post added March-9th-2012 at 08:39 AM ----------

oh... and you can forget about Manning.

I was at last night's event at FedEx field and listened to Michaels and Danny Smith talk. If I were a betting man, I would say we will take a stab at RGIII but not compete with the Browns if they go all-in. We'll keep our full draft and take Tannehill at #6.

Not sure if anything that those 2 might say at this point would give any real indication as to what the teams plans are. I certainly hope they aren't planning on reaching for Tannehill at # 6.

You got this from Danny SMith? The special teams coach? The guy who doesn't even know how to prepare his unit after seven years is the guy you think is in the kow about what we are doing with our QB situation?

If we DO go Tannehill with the #6, I will be livid. He is not worth a first rounder, never mind sixth overall.

You got this from Danny SMith? The special teams coach? The guy who doesn't even know how to prepare his unit after seven years is the guy you think is in the kow about what we are doing with our QB situation?

If we DO go Tannehill with the #6, I will be livid. He is not worth a first rounder, never mind sixth overall.

I have been bracing for the pain of Tannehill all along...but I won't be able to take it, if we get him at 6.

Well...

If you see them again, you tell them this from me. LegendaryFan.

If they draft Tannehill @#6, than I expect the same results/career from him as we all got from from a QB by the name of Sammy Baugh out of TCU.

He too was drafted #6 overall in 1937.

Started his rookie yr and played until 1952. (15 yrs)

So if they think a WR turned QB can pull that off, be ready his rookie yr & provide the spark that Sammy did...?

Then God willing..draft him @#6.

Otherwise, i would suggest they trade down and lower those expectations from me, then go for Tannehill or draft another position. Then target someone in the 2nd rd...

But if they're smart, they won't let RG3 go.

Agree with you on Tannehill. He will take too long to develop. Rex or Orton would start the season, suck it up, then fans will be clamoring for Tannehill. But Tannehill won't be ready yet and would likely also suck it up. Putting him in before he's ready would not be a good move, and his growth could be stunted. So really drafting him gets us nowhere unless we have a LEGIT vet in front of him. Outside of Manning, there isn't one out there in FA.

Gotta go all in for RG3. Count me in as a season ticket holder waiting to see what we do at QB before renewing. Can't keep going through this same cycle over and over. It's like groundhog day.

I think RGIII is still the target, but if too much is asked for, I got the impression this regime will pass. By all appearances they are trying to get a solid depth on Offense this year.

And again... to avoid getting us all a temporary ban....

What other topics did they cover?

How did you find out about this?

Is there another event coming up?

EDIT: If you think I'm playing or being a dbag I'm not... this happened yesterday in another thread sort of like this one....

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?363193-If-the-Browns-go-all-in-do-we-try-to-match

Jumbo wrote:

Wanna see a sign of staff tolerance about on 'E' and things to come? This netted the nnt AND a temp ban. Wanna know what might be next? A temp ban next time for everyone that posts in a thread like this that so obviously should be getting closed.

Well...

If they draft Tannehill @#6, than I expect the same results/career from him as we all got from from a QB by the name of Sammy Baugh out of TCU.

So if they think a WR turned QB can pull that off, be ready his rookie yr & provide the spark that Sammy did...?

Then God willing..draft him @#6.

If it can be done with any team it would be the redskins. After all, we converted a punt returner into a franchise and superbowl winning QB. Seriously, calling Tanehill a converted WR is like calling Joe Theismann and converted PR. Tanehill, was doing whatever he could to get on the field and help his team. This shouldn't be plus not a minus for the guy.

If it can be done with any team it would be the redskins. After all, we converted a punt returner into a franchise and superbowl winning QB. Seriously, calling Tanehill a converted WR is like calling Joe Theismann and converted PR. Tanehill, was doing whatever he could to get on the field and help his team. This shouldn't be plus not a minus for the guy.

You're 100% accurate.

And Theismann was drafted #99 in Rd 4, in 1971.

Not #6 in the 1st rd.

I'm not denying that Ryan is a talented QB.

I just think it's crazy to draft a QB, with 1 1/2 yrs experience at #6.

People say it's risky to trade up for RG3?

They're correct. But you got 4 yrs of film to look at this guy and what he can do.

Ryan has a "commercial break" of film footage to scout, in comparison to Luck or RG3.

I don't have a problem drafting him.

Just not @#6.

You trade down and hope he's there.

If he's not?

Whoopty-doo

You target other QB's later on...

And again... to avoid getting us all a temporary ban....

What other topics did they cover?

How did you find out about this?

Is there another event coming up?

They didn't cover much else. Danny talked about how the team is focused on going about things the right way. They don't want to sacrifice their ability to build a quality team in exchange for something that they are not confident about. I feel they will go hard at RGIII but that they won't go to extremes to bring him in. It sounded like they wanted to beef up in depth instead of reaching too far, as they have in the past. He also talked about how Free Agency will be huge this year and how some plans are in action currently (nothing they would talk about). Resigning players like Fletcher is a priority, but they won't stop him from getting a crazy deal if it comes up from another team. They don't think it would be fair to him otherwise. My impression is that he gets resigned, along with others. Cooley has 1 year remaining. There were several John Beck jokes, all from Michaels. The only ST topic he covered was in response to an answer about the ball being moved up and how it affected Banks. He said it's tough and he will work with Banks to adjust even more this year.

If we dont get RGIII this year, I say we sign Kyle Orton. See how it works out and then hope we suck again so we can go all in for Matt Barkley. But we need a franchise QB and if Luck or RGIII is not there for us because we did not trade up to the two spot, then do what you need to do to get Matt Barkley next year.

I recently seriously injured my leg, and have been given all sorts of things to help fix it.

Among these is a really strong painkiller.

If we took Tannehill at 6 I'd like to think it'd help, but I don't think it will. It'd be like "Hey, we know you missed RGIII, but as a consolation prize, here's a turd sandwich." Tannehill at 6 will play into the worst possible thing some have said about this FO, which is that they have no idea what they're doing with QB. I think they do have a plan, but their execution is so poor that it is indistinguishable from not having a plan.

Not to say they aren't working with some crappy options, but if we go into this year, year 3, with Kyle Orton or someone similar as the starter, without a TRUE 1st round QB waiting on the sidelines (Tannehill is NOT a legit 1st round QB), it's a pretty serious problem for the FO.

There were several John Beck jokes, all from Michaels.

He's normally pretty even keeled on Redskins Nation.... but you could ABSOLUTELY tell that he didn't like John Beck, haha.

Thanks for the update man!

Was this event for everyone or just guys on the club level or what?

Ill be disappointed if we can't land RGIII; however, I'll lose my mind if reach and get Tannehill at #6. Reaching in drafts is the worst thing you can do, especially if you pass up on elite talent that may still be on the board. Claiborne, Poe, Kuechly, and Reiff(spelled that wrong) would all be better for us to get at pick 6

I recently seriously injured my leg, and have been given all sorts of things to help fix it.

Among these is a really strong painkiller.

If we took Tannehill at 6 I'd like to think it'd help, but I don't think it will. It'd be like "Hey, we know you missed RGIII, but as a consolation prize, here's a turd sandwich." Tannehill at 6 will play into the worst possible thing some have said about this FO, which is that they have no idea what they're doing with QB. I think they do have a plan, but their execution is so poor that it is indistinguishable from not having a plan.

Not to say they aren't working with some crappy options, but if we go into this year, year 3, with Kyle Orton or someone similar as the starter, without a TRUE 1st round QB waiting on the sidelines (Tannehill is NOT a legit 1st round QB), it's a pretty serious problem for the FO.

And I agree... if we are out of RG3 I would take Reiff or Claiborne or even trade back. Then I'd go for Cousins in the 2nd and take a flyer on Moore in the 5th.

Let´s say

Browns grab RGIII

Colts Luck

Miami Manning

If we like Tannehill and we know that Seatlle is also interested how many other chances do we have?

I think there are only three long term potential franchise QB's in this darft, if you ask me. Luck, Tannehill and RGIII.

Weeden, Osweiler, Captain Kirk, Foles...don't are that high on any of them. Might be solid QB's in the mold of a Hasselback, Orton...but nothing special. Not you start QB.

...or you might take a swing at Matt Damon.

The fact Danny Smith was even in the building is enough to crush my confidence.

Get that loser out of here.

~Bang

I think you are buying into the fan "anti-hype". If Smith was that bad Shannahan would can him. The reality is that he is a well respected coach without a lot to work with. He can't coach up a player to be Devon Hester and he cant make anyone an accurate kicker. All he can do is teach principles, coverages, and technique.

Unfortunately after years of frustration, this fanbase want's scapegoats and what they want they find. Damn the reality.

I think you are buying into the fan "anti-hype". If Smith was that bad Shannahan would can him. The reality is that he is a well respected coach without a lot to work with. He can't coach up a player to be Devon Hester and he cant make anyone an accurate kicker. All he can do is teach principles, coverages, and technique.

Unfortunately after years of frustration, this fanbase want's scapegoats and what they want they find. Damn the reality.

This

Exactly, alot of us have been saying this all along. Don't give away the house, take Tannehill if we have to. Thanks for filling us in.

Let´s say

Browns grab RGIII

Colts Luck

Miami Manning

If we like Tannehill and we know that Seatlle is also interested how many other chances do we have?

I think there are only three long term potential franchise QB's in this darft, if you ask me. Luck, Tannehill and RGIII.

Weeden, Osweiler, Captain Kirk, Foles...don't are that high on any of them. Might be solid QB's in the mold of a Hasselback, Orton...but nothing special. Not you start QB.

...or you might take a swing at Matt Damon.

I'd say if that scenario presents itself... you take the best player available who is ready to start. That player is likely to be a Claiborne, who would be your number one cornerback or a Riley Reiff, who could step in and play RT immediately.

You can't reach for Tannehill at 6... that's WAY too risky...

FYI... the last player to get drafted with as much starting experience at QB as Tannehill was Mark Sanchez... and don't give me the Cam Newton argument, you can count that year of JuCo where he won a National Championship....

Archived