Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Extremeskin help needed.

HRNY4ZRNY

My situation:

I work 2 jobs. Close to 60 hours a week. Lets say 1 pays pretty well and the part time isn't that great but has flexible hours which I need.

I do not have a degree, I graduated High School barely because my parents were divorced and really didn't have much structure. (not blaming them.)

I have really had to teach myself good habits and work ethic. It wasnt ingrained in me at a young age but ever since I was 16 or so I've tryed to get better and better everyday.

At this point Im proud of were I am and how hard I work. I dont make excuses and the first person I try to blame is myself. I know changing people and blaming others will never get you anywhere. I look for ways to make myself better and try to bring out the best in others.

My problem is Im maxed out to a certain extent on my income coming in.

Im going to be a 1st time father and really not worried about the parenting part. (teaching,loving being there for my kid.)

Im just worried that I wont have enough money because I dont have a degree and really dont have any true skills. (knowing a trade.)

Any advice would be appreciated. I know theres not much you guys can do.

By no means is this a pity party for me either. There are lots of people in worse positions.

Any ideas on how to make more income?

Any ideas for jobs in the area that not many people want to do but pay well... Thanks guys.

I am available most Sundays so if there are any business owners out there that need help, Im your guy.

Coal mining. No, I'm not kidding. It's tough ass work, and it's sure as hell not glamorous. But even in my area (Western MD) the guys who do it make between $60k and $80k. And out here, that's like $200k plus down there, if not more.

is there the possibility of online courses in a specialization which would allow you to advance higher in your job?

cut spending wherever feasibly possible.

if you are married, then your wife may need to find part time work, if she is already working then hopefully she has maternity leave. her extra income should help.

if not married and not with the mother of your child, then she should be sharing the financial costs.

maybe see if there's any items you don't need that would be worth selling.

try asking for a raise at either job if possible.

you are in NOVA, maybe quit your part time job and get a serving gig at an expensive restaurant like Cheesecake Factory or Ruth's Chris.

NOVA community college offers a bunch of online courses. It's an upfront investment, but even a 2 year degree will advance your income potential.

All I can really think of at the moment. Hope this helps some.

Congrats on your child!

one more suggestion, if possible, move out of Sterling and NOVA and to a more affordable area if possible. IIRC. Not sure if Manassas is still a little cheaper, but west to Winchester supposedly is still pretty affordable right now, and I think south in Gainesville and Haymarket are too. Your commute increases but your housing cost shrinks.

or also maybe see about selling your car, if you own one, buy a cheaper one like an old used Honda that will still last, and pocket the extra money.

You could take night classes or earn a degree online, or even go to a vocational school and learn a trade, all of which are better than just a high school diploma and would set you on a good path to building a steady career and (hopefully) stable future. You sound like a busy and hard-working guy already, but I just figured I'd throw out some more longer term ideas, if you managed things right you could pull it off. There are lots of possibilities in this country, you just have to keep pushing through the hard times.

Get Linux Red Hat certified and become a systems administrator:

http://www.redhat.com/training/certifications/rhce/

You can do it. Taking a prep course helps, but even reading the books then taking the test works. Having this cert will open doors in the tech industry as companies everywhere are falling over themselves to hire anyone with Red Hat paper.

Seriously dude, pick up a Red Hat Linux book at the library and read it. Its a computer system that isn't particularly complicated to understand how to operate. I work with all sorts of Linux admins who have nothing more than a high school diploma and an interest in building things with a keyboard.

Don't know where you're working now, but try to slide to a lateral position at a large corporation. There will always be opportunity for advancement, even if you're resume isn't particularly flashy. It'll just take time.

Also, if you're looking for a change, try being a bread truck delivery driver. Those guys make bank and the work isn't that tough. Once you've saved enough (or can get financing), buy your own "bread route" and you double your income.

you're young, you can learn ways to make a very good living, It's certainly not too late.

The money the second job brings in, I assume it's critical?

If not, if you can get by, maybe use that time to take a few classes instead. You may suffer a bit in the short term with it being a bit tight, but the potential to earn more after makes up for it.

One MAJOR piece of advice. Don't get too stressed over it. Babies put a strain on your life in many more ways than financially. They put a serious strain on relationships. A lot of couples break up in the baby's first two or three years. It's a serious change, and freaking over money will surely cause a problem.

Breathe deep. Answers will come so long as you look for them.

~Bang

Seriously dude, pick up a Red Hat Linux book at the library and read it. Its a computer system that isn't particularly complicated to understand how to operate. I work with all sorts of Linux admins who have nothing more than a high school diploma and an interest in building things with a keyboard.

Thanks I will defenitly do that. Cant hurt to learn something new. Maybe I'll find a better oppurtunity.

Basically Forklift-loader at a Quarry, General Service at Goodyear.

Do you have a CDL? If so, you could try to get in with a company like Fed Ex/UPS, supermarkets, etc. They pay solid, though not great necessarily, but are very stable jobs once you're in. Overtime during holidays, etc.

Thanks I will defenitly do that. Cant hurt to learn something new. Maybe I'll find a better oppurtunity.

I would second this. I have taken a few classes in Linux, and it has definitely opened more doors up in term of employment. Almost every interview I have been on for IT, they preach linux. Msoft is almost never brought up and tends to get trashed. It wouldn't hurt to have you own personal machine at home so you can practice, the command line takes some time to getting used to.

Do you have any hobbies? What are your interests? Do some research on these to determine which way to go: college degree in XXX, or maybe a trade school to become an XYZ. Maybe setup an appointment with a college counselor to explore options.

With your forklift experience, you should look for any area manufacturers who need skilled forklift drivers. Maybe land a union paying job, with benefits, that will also pay if you to go to college nights/weekends. Someone mentioned UPS/FedEx. You should put both of these companies on your hitlist to check out for employment. Again, your forklift experience could help you land something at an airport.

The worst thing to do is nothing. As others have mentioned, you're young and have time to make a change.

Best of luck to you and keep us posted on how things progress!

Archived