Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The last movie you saw......GO! (After you read the OP!!!!)

renaissance

Watched this the other night. Pretty good, I'm a big fan of the writer and directior. Def a movie I could probably watch a 2nd time as it's easy to miss what's going on. Set in the 50's in Japan as if Germany took over, it's kind of a play on Little Red Riding hood and oppressive military/cops vs rebels. Amazing animation, as far as how well it's drawn too.

Affiche_Jin_Roh_La_brigade_des_loups_1998_1.jpg

MV5BMTk5MDQ4OTQ3NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzQ2NjU4Mw@@._V1_SY317_CR27,0,214,317_.jpg

In this gripping thriller, a group of men volunteers to take on the roles of guards and inmates at a mock prison as part of a controversial psychological study. But when the guards abuse their power in alarming ways, the prisoners stage a revolt.

Supposedly a remake of a German film and based off a book of a real experiment. Of course, none of what Hollywood has portrayed here is true. However, I loved the movie. It is violent and it pissed me off. I wanted to beat the hell out of some of these guys. It evoked emotion and that is always a sign of a good movie IMO. I know other people that couldn't finish it because they got so angry.

Edited by Fan since a Fetus

Les Miss a few weeks back.

Really liked it. But then I'm big on stage musicals. People will probably moan that there's zero dialogue, and it just runs from song to song to song. But that makes it different and you lose yourself in the cinematic experience which is what you go for right?

Hathaway has the song steeler. Jackman can sing. Russel Crowe can't hold a fricking note to save his life. But then that adds to sa film musical. Actors doing something totally foreign and failing badly whilst still adding greatly. Rex Harrison in My tFair Lady sounded worse than my dog. But msan did he make the film what it was. Lee Marvin in Paint Your Wagon ........ but how memorably bad that made it fit was his attempt at singing?

Enjoyed this take. But probably not for those that don't like musicals.

Hail.

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTk5MDQ4OTQ3NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzQ2NjU4Mw@@._V1_SY317_CR27,0,214,317_.jpg

In this gripping thriller, a group of men volunteers to take on the roles of guards and inmates at a mock prison as part of a controversial psychological study. But when the guards abuse their power in alarming ways, the prisoners stage a revolt.

Supposedly a remake of a German film and based off a book of a real experiment. Of course, none of what Hollywood has portrayed here is true. However, I loved the movie. It is violent and it pissed me off. I wanted to beat the hell out of some of these guys. It evoked emotion and that is always a sign of a good movie IMO. I know other people that couldn't finish it because they got so angry.

If people couldnt finish this, i wonder how angry they'd get watching Compliance, which is 100 times worse than the prison experiment and very factual.

Edited by talk show host

sleepwalk-with-me-dvd-cover-98.jpg

Sleepwalk with me (2012)

Based on some of Mike Birbiglia's real life experiences dealing with a sleeping disorder while starting out as a standup comedian.

I think Mike Birbiglia is pretty funny and I'd heard other comedians raving about his film, so once I found out it was available on Netflix instant, I decided to check it out. I enjoyed the film, I'd give it a 7 or 8 out of 10. Some really funny scenes and it does a good job of capturing who Mike Birbiglia is if you're not familiar with his standup.

edit: Good god that's a big picture. My bad

Edited by The Sir

Started actually watching Netflix streaming again and I gotta say it's getting harder and harder to find stuff I like anymore on there.

Acolytes was probably the best one I've watched recently. 3 teens find a dead body buried in the woods and attempt to blackmail the suspected killer into murdering their childhood enemy. I was into the story the whole way thru and thought it was a pretty solid thriller.

Silver Tongues wasn't bad either. Basically the story about a couple that goes around taking on false identities/personas and basically ****ing with people just for the hell of it. The twist at the end got me and I felt like a sucker for falling for it. For that fact alone I have to give the film some props.

The Wave was pretty solid too. German flick about a teacher that tries to prove a dictatorship can still exist in today's day & age. He soon finds his experiment spins out of control.

Death Race 2 was actually not as bad as I expected it to be. Not a bad action flick to be honest.

Others I watched and I didn't care for or thought were crap:

Lars and the Real Girl

Red White and Blue

The Robber

Leave

Bruiser

High Lane

The last movie I saw was Exit Humanity, which is on Netflix right now.

Its about a man coming home from the Civil War in a world that is slowly but surely being taken over by zombies. Of course, that story line intrigued me enough to sit down and watch. Most films bore me because little today is original and most everything is predictable or thought out with imagery.

Parts of this film were a little drawn out but I enjoyed the story for the most part. I'm a big history buff so I may be a little biased in my liking of this film. The Civil War period set it off for me. I haven't seen a zombie film set in this period before. It was an ok (not great) movie with good make-up and cast of characters.

If people couldnt finish this, i wonder how angry they'd get watching Compliance, which is 100 times worse than the prison experiment and very factual.

I just added this to my que. Just wondering how you came up with it is very factual? The cover says 'Inspired by true events.' Movies that say that are so far from factual it is funny. I am going to watch it, because I enjoy good movies and it has a lot of positive reviews.

At this point, with Hollywood, I am sure the Transformers are inspired by true events as well. Every movie they make anymore says inspired by true events.

---------- Post added February-1st-2013 at 12:41 PM ----------

Started actually watching Netflix streaming again and I gotta say it's getting harder and harder to find stuff I like anymore on there.

You are not the first person I have seen say this and I am always puzzled. Maybe I don't watch enough movies, but my streaming que currently stands at 260. I never have a hard time finding something to watch. Actually, I have a hard time because I have so many choices, not that it's a bad thing. But, I do not limit any choices. I watch all genres. My que has movies, documentaries, and tv shows. I don't have anything on my que that I have previously watched.

jfk1.jpg

I know this is an older movie. But I've literally always wanted to see it and have never seen it on TV (except the last few minutes) or haven't found it on DVD until last weekend.

I have always been a big fan of the conspiracy, and this movie beyond impressed me. Not sure how much was fact or fiction in it, but it was well done. I highly recommend it.

I just added this to my que. Just wondering how you came up with it is very factual? The cover says 'Inspired by true events.' Movies that say that are so far from factual it is funny. I am going to watch it, because I enjoy good movies and it has a lot of positive reviews.

At this point, with Hollywood, I am sure the Transformers are inspired by true events as well. Every movie they make anymore says inspired by true events.

it was a highly publicized national story. having read the accounts, and seeing the movie, i can attest to how disturbingly accurate the movie is. The only reason i mention it is because, when you watch the movie, youre reaction is going to be "give me a break, this is crap - theyre making this up." They arent.

Depending on the level of detail you want to read, here are some links. i think the abcnews article has the best balance in detail vs. brevity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strip_search_prank_call_scam#Mount_Washington.2C_Kentucky.2C_incident

http://abcnews.go.com/Primetime/story?id=1297922&page=1

Edited by talk show host

You are not the first person I have seen say this and I am always puzzled. Maybe I don't watch enough movies, but my streaming que currently stands at 260. I never have a hard time finding something to watch. Actually, I have a hard time because I have so many choices, not that it's a bad thing. But, I do not limit any choices. I watch all genres. My que has movies, documentaries, and tv shows. I don't have anything on my que that I have previously watched.

Yep, that's the secret to really getting your money's worth with netflix. if folks are looking for nothing but blockbuster hits, that well will quickly run dry. But I started watching a lot of low budget Indy comedies, a lot of foreign films, documentaries and tv shows. I think we've got like 160 selections in our que.

Oh, and I'll say this again (it's been about six months). Anybody who has not yet watched "I Saw the Devil" on netflix streaming is missing out on one of the best movies ever made....

One of the sickest, goriest, most original revenge thrillers ever made. This is mandatory viewing folks. I'm not asking you to watch this movie, I'm telling you.

"This is the stuff of nightmares, where even the good guy is bad. and Choi Min-sik as Kyung-chul, one of the most scary and evil villains ever seen in any film."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkwEFKdTckk

Edited by Chew

Netflix is what it is. But like some said, if you limit yourself to just movies, and even worse, genre specific movies, you'll be wasting your time.

I used to do the whole Megaupload thing, and when that was shut down, I decided to go back to Netflix, begrudgingly

Edited by Mr. Sinister

Oh, and I'll say this again (it's been about six months). Anybody who has not yet watched "I Saw the Devil" on netflix streaming is missing out on one of the best movies ever made....

That is such an original movie. It's effing awesome. I have no doubt there will be an American remake before long.

---------- Post added February-1st-2013 at 12:41 PM ----------

Maybe that's my problem. I do watch the occassional comedy and documentary and I also watched all of the available episodes of Breaking Bad but by far I am most interested in the thriller genre. When I first joined I loved it. I watched all the Korean revenge flicks I could find (I agree with youngchew that I Saw the Devil is awesome) I also watched a bunch of other foreign films (Trollhunter, Antibodies, Bronson just to name a few of my favs). I ended up really liking a lot of them. But now it seems like the well is running dry, or else I am setting my expectations too high. Acolytes is the only movie I've given a higher than 3 star rating since probably the summer. I'll probably hang onto my subscription for another month or so and see how it goes.

Edited by f_trizzy

That is such an original movie. It's effing awesome. I have no doubt there will be an American remake before long.

Hell yeah man, I Saw the Devil blew me away. The first time I watched it, when it was over and the credits rolled, my wife and I were both literally jaw-dropped. What an experience, one of the best movies I've seen in the last 10 years.

Have you seen Old Boy? The Man from Nowhere? The Chaser? I'm a korean thriller junkie, and I guarantee you'll love those 3 flicks if you liked IStD. Old Boy is considered to be one of the greatest "mind ****" movies of all time

Edited by Chew

Hell yeah man, I Saw the Devil blew me away. The first time I watched it, when it was over and the credits rolled, my wife and I were both literally jaw-dropped. What an experience, one of the best movies I've seen in the last 10 years.

Have you seen Old Boy? The Man from Nowhere? The Chaser? I'm a korean thriller junkie, and I guarantee you'll love those 3 flicks if you liked IStD. Old Boy is considered to be one of the greatest "mind ****" movies of all time

I thought Old Boy was ok. It got a little too weird for me at the end. That one fight scene in the hallway is one of the best ever though. The Man from Nowhere was great. I haven't seen the Chaser.

yeah, Old Boy started off really strong...the premise was interesting. but yeah, it just got more and more weird...

Man From Nowhere definitely kicked ass. You'll like the Chaser as well. It's about a former cop turned pimp (LOL), and several of his hookers go missing. Things just get crazy from there.

O.K. technically not a movie, but they are awesome. The Sherlock Holmes on BBC. 2 seasons, 6 shows about an hour and a half each. As long as a movie. They are absolutely excellent. I like these better than the Robert Downey Jr movies, and I am a big RDJr fan.

They have an american version of this with lucy Liu out now too. They were filming for it on my street the other day.

Saw this w/ the wife the other night :

http://www.louisvillecardinal.com/media/silver_linings_playbook.jpg[

Despite the fact that it's based on a family of hardcore Philadelphia Eagles fans, it was still a really great movie. It started out looking as if the movie was going to be really grim and sad in the beginning but developed into something very positive and amazing in the end.

My wife and I saw Silver Linings Playbook last night. Man, what a great film! I would love to see this one win Best Picture. Great acting all around and one hell of a story.

Edited by HogNose

• 2 weeks later...