Teller

What's the better radio program?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. What's the better radio program?

• Dan Patrick and the Dannettes
    • Mike and Mike
    • Jim Rome and the XR4TI

I guess we're all republicans now! :point2sky

WASHINGTON' date=' D.C. (CNN) -- Congressional Republicans are seeking to score a political touchdown; one that could sway an important voting base in their favor -- fans of the National Football League. If their proposed bill passes, "Super Monday" would become a national holiday.

"It is our position that the NFL is our true national pastime, and as such, it should be entitled to a national holiday on its biggest day of the year," House Speaker John Boehner told an informal media assembly Friday. "For 45 years, diehard fans -- real Americans -- have had to go to work hungover on the Monday after the Super Bowl. If we get our way, things will change."

But House majority leader Eric Cantor said the speaker can expect gridlock on the gridiron issue.

"This is a blatant attempt by the speaker to take the national spotlight off of the real, pressing issues facing hard-working Americans; and to turn football into a political football."

Rep. Luis Gutierrez (D-IL) opposes the proposal as well, but on slightly different grounds.

"If there's no holiday for futbol, there shouldn't be a holiday for football," Gutierrez said. "I hope my colleagues will join me in corner kicking this bill back to where it came from."[/quote']

Thought this was funny too. :ols:

Rep. Barney Frank' date=' who is attending the U.S. Figure Skating Championships in San Jose, called the bill "an afront to fans of more artistic sports."[/quote']

http://www.cnn.com/houserepssbmonday.html

Lol wut? They're seriously debating this with all of the actual important **** going on right now? I can't believe we pay these people.

Dude. This is a PHENOMENAL idea!!!

I've thought for years they should either move the game to Saturday, or make it a national holiday. Never thought I'd actually see either one though.

Lol wut? They're seriously debating this with all of the actual important **** going on right now? I can't believe we pay these people.

To be fair, this line of reasoning has always seemed a bit hollow. Congress is capable of multitasking; in fact, that's pretty much how Congress operates all the time. Multiple bills are always under consideration.

---------- Post added February-4th-2012 at 12:31 PM ----------

I know, right?

I :ols:'d MAO at Boehner saying "hungover." I mean, he's right, but still. :ols:

I did the exact same thing. I was literally laughing out loud after I read that line. And you said it perfectly: He's right, but still. :ols: :ols: :ols:

To be fair, this line of reasoning has always seemed a bit hollow. Congress is capable of multitasking; in fact, that's pretty much how Congress operates all the time. Multiple bills are always under consideration.

Oh I know. I just can't help myself from taking a cheap shot at Congress whenever I can. :ols:

Though to be honest it would be so nice to have a day off of work after the SB (not sure how many companies would necessarily do that though)

Granted, one of the reasons I thought it was an Onion article was because it was so funny.

I'm not saying I thought it was an Onion article because everybody knows Congress couldn't possibly do something so trivial. I thought it was an Onion because it had so many good quotes in it. I mean, it somebody had been trying to write a joke, they couldn't have done it any better.

---------- Post added February-4th-2012 at 12:58 PM ----------

Oh I know. I just can't help myself from taking a cheap shot at Congress whenever I can. :ols:

Though to be honest it would be so nice to have a day off of work after the SB (not sure how many companies would necessarily do that though)

I do remember, long ago, there was a restaurant in New Smyrna Beach. (Shells seafood. Part of a chain.)

And on their front door, they had the hours they were open, and then the words "Closed Christmas Day and Super Bowl Sunday".

I liked it.

I wonder if, in an effort to REALLY drum up support from their base, the GOPers propose eliminating MLK day to make room for Super Monday. :evilg:

Oh don't go and try to politicize something that's so inherently fantastic. :pfft:

I wonder if, in an effort to REALLY drum up support from their base, the GOPers propose eliminating MLK day to make room for Super Monday. :evilg:

Well, these are the same people who opposed the MLK holiday, including Ron Paul, John McCain, and Ronald Reagan.

Until the summer of 1983, a majority of Republicans in the House had opposed the efforts, pushed mostly by the Congressional Black Caucus, to honor King....

Ostensibly, GOP opposition concerned the federal budget, and a view that the federal bureaucracy did not need another paid holiday. . Many Democrats suspected other reasons, but even those members who did not ascribe racist views to their Republican colleagues believed they were being insensitive to the meaning of the proposed new holiday.

http://www.realclearreligion.org/articles/2012/01/16/how_we_got_martin_luther_king_day_106409.html

The most interesting part of the story - the Republican who finally broke the GOP wall against the holiday was Jack Kemp - encouraged by Newt Gingrich. Who would have thunk it?

Well, these are the same people who opposed the MLK holiday, including Ron Paul, John McCain, and Ronald Reagan.

http://www.realclearreligion.org/articles/2012/01/16/how_we_got_martin_luther_king_day_106409.html

The most interesting part of the story - the Republican who finally broke the GOP wall against the holiday was Jack Kemp - encouraged by Newt Gingrich. Who would have thunk it?

Damnit, don't join in on the politicization of this. We have a rare opportunity to put politics aside and enjoy a stream of very entertaining posts about a bill put forward by the national legislature of the most powerful nation in the world to give everyone the day off after the Super Bowl because, according to the person who's second in line for the presidency of said nation in the event of a tragic presidential death, there are too many hangovers. Do you not see how awesome this is?

Archived