Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mike Wise: For Redskins, Mike Shanahan is not new and not yet improved

Skinsfan4life83

The problem I have with sports writers is that they live in the extremes. They seem to always be all-in or all-out.

Going into week 4 at 3-1 - UnWise Mike, Sally Jenkins, etc all wrote articles about how much things had changed. How the news Skins had arrived and how things would not fall apart like in the past. Those articles all look rather silly now and I feel like many in the media feel that they have egg on their face.

We are exactly what 99.99% of us thought we were before the season started. A young, struggling team who lacks a QB and a play maker on offense.

I really wish I could get paid to write stuff like this...

No new information, no insight, no substance. Just the same ol' bull**** everyone at the Post says. You can set your watch to these kind of articles.

"It's been nice that Dan Snyder isn't meddling, but him not meddling isn't working better than when he was meddling, so maybe he should meddle a little more, but not really, but sort of."

It is not reasonable to expect Shanahan to repair a decade of roster screw-ups in less than three years. But the quarterback situation is the key -- you can't build any sort of momentum on the field or in the locker room with a QB who everyone knows is just a stopgap. And Shanahan didn't help himself by making John Beck sound like an undiscovered Sid Luckman. He absolutely cannot go into next season with Rex as his predetermined starter.

Wise's article ignores the possibility that Shanahan might lose his enthusiasm for the whole thing if the team doesn't improve significantly next season. He didn't need the job or the money when he was hired and doesn't need either now. To the extent his reputation is an issue, the best way to preserve it would be to go the "it just isn't working out" route and part company peacefully after three years. I think his recent comments about misunderstanding the problems with the roster were a trial balloon for a whoops! excuse down the road.

First, I can't stand UnWise Mike. But eventually wins and losses are what a coach is going to be judged on. Has the roster improved? Certainly. How much? Some places more than others. He's got this year to start turning things around. By that, I mean turn things around on the field. Most are in agreement that certain things are better but the product on the field, as a whole, is not. It's going to be year #3 boys and girls and regardless of seeing a flash here of an improved WR or a flash there of an improvement at QB, do you really think 5-11 cuts it? I don't unless there is DRASTIC, across the board, improvement at almost every position that is still regarded as a weakness. I don't see how that is really possible with a 5-11 record, but maybe. I understand that Shanny inherited a horrible roster. We get that. It wasn't the worst ever. He's done some nice things since he got here, and actually has been fortunate to have an owner who has kept his mouth shut and a fan base that has been beaten down so badly that anything is better than the same ole same ole. That will eventually wear off with the fan base. I just hope that ownership holds out as long as they do.

With all the negativity in the press, BMitch and the WaPo, all I can think about is The Simpsons episode with Bart's elephant and the automatic DJ machine,

Machine -"Looks like those clowns in Washington did it again...what a bunch of clowns."

DJ - "How does it stay on top of current events like that?"

Other DJ - "Don't praise the machine."

It is actually a surprise to read anything positive about the season but I agree with most on the board with a any football acumen that we are headed in the right direction. If anybody expected us to make the playoffs with the injury issues and lack of depth and lack of a QB, they were/are nuts.

One more year, if we are staring the down the barrel of 7-9 or less again, then I will start lighting the torches and grabbing the pitchforks but this was a rebuild project of massive proportions. Maybe rebuild is not strong enough a word, perhaps resurrection would be more accurate.

I am a glass half full (as are alot of us).

Our situation was terrible. TERRIBLE!!

People who complain about the QB situation, let's look at last year. Cam went # 1 and Gabbert flaked. The Cardinals got Kolb but zero results (Heck, the backup looks better). You could talk about Ponder or Dalton but they got picked ahead of us in the 2nd and many felt they weren't worth a 1st round pick.

My point is, for the QB position, we haven't had MANY options. So I will give Shanny this year to get his QB and next year for the QB to have a year under his belt. Then I will judge his tenure.

And for people wanting a young Head Coach to become the "Next Gibbs". That is EXACTLY what Kyle is. People forget that when he was in Houston, he was starting to become a very hot name for a head coaching gig.

I think alot of people, especially media types, don't realize how bad this organization was under Cerrato. I do put most of the blame on him, he had Dan's ear, remember Marty's story of Vinny(after being fired) going behind his back "advising" Dan. Total backstabbing piece of crap.

After Gibbs 2.0, Vinny had total control just destroyed every aspect of this team.

This is not an ordinary rebuild that Shanahan has, this is rebuilding from ashes. It takes two years just to get us back up to the level of a bad team.

There is an old quote from Bill Parcells back in the Testaverde days when asked about finding a QB.

"You know what I like about the media? They think you can just dial 1-800 get a quarterback," Parcells said at Monday's news conference. "There are teams that have been trying to dial that for 10 years. ... You think we don't look around? You act like someone is not trying."

Just because I know you'd want to know, he was the Cowboys coach talking about Quincy Carter, and the then unknown Tony Romo sits to pee.

I use this quote all the time, and I totally agree with your post.

~Bang

I agree its hard to listen to some of the crap they say, as well as the constant negativity from people like Chad and Lavar. (even though they claim to be "objective")

But.. Shanahan has got to start winning.

We agree the roster is improved, the culture is improved, talent has been upgraded.

but we are missing a very important puzzle piece and we arent winning. have a record worse than Zorn over the first 2 years is not good.

I really like the direction he's going, but Shanahan HAS to get a QB and HAS to improve the record next year.. even if just to 8-8.

Its coming time he needs to shut these people up with wins. I really hope he does, cause i dont want to see what hes begun get dismantled.

screw 8-8. I wanted at least that this year. He better put a winner on the field. at least 9-7.enough is enough. no more losing.

I think alot of people, especially media types, don't realize how bad this organization was under Cerrato....

After Gibbs 2.0, Vinny had total control just destroyed every aspect of this team.

This is not an ordinary rebuild that Shanahan has, this is rebuilding from ashes. It takes two years just to get us back up to the level of a bad team.

:yes: :yes:...I honestly believe that half of all football fans and sports journalists don't have any real clue about what a rebuild requires, especially THIS specific rebuild of the Redskins.

The article is not really that "negative" as many of you are freaking out about. He's merely saying that without some win-loss improvement next year, you may be justified in questioning whether or not Shanny is the right guy for the job. Its hard to argue with that. We can say we like the direction we are going in, but unless that translates to production on the field at some point, a change will have to be made. I'm not suggesting that it has to happen next year, but if it doesn't, questions like this will begin to arise.

Wise shouldn't act like upgrading the front seven is nothing. It's a very difficult thing to do and what we've done so far is really working.

Next is upgrading the OL and finding a QB.

Also, we don't know if we've really upgraded WR/RB yet because those positions can take some time to come around and our units are filled with rookie and sophomore players.

LT has also gotten a huge upgrade IMO.

---------- Post added January-4th-2012 at 02:04 PM ----------

I can tell you right now that Helu and Royster will not fall from grace like Torain did. Even when he was tearing it up last season, the cracks in Torain's game were quite evident.

Certainly. I never really bought in to Torain. He always seemed like a tweener to me--not big enough to be a bell cow power back, not fast enough to be a speed back. He wanted to be a speed back and strung too many negative plays out too often and that was probably his undoing. That and the history of injuries.

I thought Royster was a bigger talent and better fit than Torain and that he was more deserving of the third roster spot (and took a ton of crap for the view at the beginning of the season).

The article is not really that "negative" as many of you are freaking out about. He's merely saying that without some win-loss improvement next year, you may be justified in questioning whether or not Shanny is the right guy for the job. Its hard to argue with that. We can say we like the direction we are going in, but unless that translates to production on the field at some point, a change will have to be made. I'm not suggesting that it has to happen next year, but if it doesn't, questions like this will begin to arise.

Um yeah it is. It basically is saying Shanny has done nothing besides Kerrigan and upgrading the Dline to improve this team. That's complete horse ****. Wise is a hack.

It's funny, any journalist who doesn't write glowing articles about the Redskins is immediately labeled a hack around here.

Ok buddy whatever you say.

I have no problem with constructive criticism. But completely ignoring any improvements this coaching staff has made and focusing on the negative is akin to tabloid journalism.

C'mon.. blind optimism is just as bad as baseless criticism.

People should give Shanahan a chance before they criticize him. The problem is Shanahan has had two years to prove something and he hasn't. The people giving Shanahan a break because he inherited a bad roster are blind optimist. Its' like saying Rex Grossman looks bad on the field because he had poor coaches in Chicago, but he will look better in Washington under Shanahan. WTH?? Every new head coach inherits a bad roster and the Redskins roster wasn't the worst in the league at the end of 2009.So lets stop acting like Shanahan inherited the worst roster in the NFL. A coach needs to have a plan from day 1 and the plan has to be full proof or else your goose is cooked in the NFL. No longer do you have 5 years to turn organizations around. You have two maybe three yrs at the most for respected coaches. Shanahan is well respected so he'll get a third year. But what do we honestly expect in year three??? The writing was on the wall the moment Shanahan traded for McNabb and played QB carousel with Rex Grossman. Shanahan's plan was to coach up current players instead of building the team through the draft. It was a terrible gamble and he lost. Now after wasting two years with no QB acquisition he has changed focus in year three?

YEAR 3??????

It's a point of no return now folks... its all or nothing and the odds of a rookie QB coming into Washington and leading us to a winning record are slim to none! I just don't see how the blind optimist don't see this. Snyder will fire Shanahan next year if we go anything below 9-7 and nothing on our roster right now says that we are good enough to make it to that record. We ended the year at 5-11 losing to the eagles, vikings, and jets!! That's not progress that's mediocrity. The same way Shanny left Denver!

I know its a harsh reality but its just where we find ourselves. And Vinny Cerrato or Dan Snyder isn't to blame for this, its Mike Shanahan. So here's to a Andy Dalton or Cam Newton in this year's draft

Prove me wrong then. It seems like every article that gets posted that doesn't glowingly retail the Redskins is immediately attacked.

Shanahan deserves to get blasted after his first season here. And his continuing ignoring of the quarterback position.

I see Wise's point. Outside of the front 7, have we seen any real improvement? The secondary played awful. The offensive line was subpar. So we have Hankerson who had one good game and went down and two RBs who showed flashes in a system designed to make RBs look good.

Ok buddy whatever you say.

I have no problem with constructive criticism. But completely ignoring any improvements this coaching staff has made and focusing on the negative is akin to tabloid journalism.

Shanahan was brought in to improve one thing - the W/L record. He's gone 6-10 and 5-11. I understand these things take time, so I don't want him fired now (neither does Wise), but I definitely want to see more wins next year. If this team is 6-10 or worse again, Shanahan should be gone.

It's funny, any journalist who doesn't write glowing articles about the Redskins is immediately labeled a hack around here.

Indeed. But then, sports does tend to bring out the herd mentality. Regardless, I don't have an issue with Wise's column - the only improvements that matter are improvements which improve the W/L results. Next year is going to be huge for Shanny, at least IMHO. Another season of double-digit losses is simply unacceptable. If any rookie QB is worth a darn, this team should be a contender come December. I just don't buy that excuse anymore, esp. after the seasons Dalton and Newton had.

:yes: :yes:...I honestly believe that half of all football fans and sports journalists don't have any real clue about what a rebuild requires, especially THIS specific rebuild of the Redskins.

just fwiw... Seattle is hardly a top market like the big cities...but the regional sports media has fair respect (and I think justly so)...the only other market I have any "inside" connections to sports media-wise (and they're worthy professionals but no one nationally recognized) and more-than average awareness, for not living there, is SF...people working in the filed in both locales have made comments to me over the years that DC media is among the most inept and laughable...there have also been comments of how fitting it is that some of the DC pundits do advance...to ESPN. :ols:

---------- Post added January-4th-2012 at 11:50 AM ----------

Shanahan was brought in to improve one thing - the W/L record. He's gone 6-10 and 5-11. I understand these things take time, so I don't want him fired now (neither does Wise), but I definitely want to see more wins next year. If this team is 6-10 or worse again, Shanahan should be gone.
Indeed. But then, sports does tend to bring out the herd mentality. Regardless, I don't have an issue with Wise's column - the only improvements that matter are improvements which improve the W/L results. Next year is going to be huge for Shanny, at least IMHO. Another season of double-digit losses is simply unacceptable. If any rookie QB is worth a darn, this team should be a contender come December. I just don't buy that excuse anymore, esp. after the seasons Dalton and Newton had.

Christ. What bull****. Yes w/l is a bottom line. That doesn't make your post any less fatuous. Not even going to extrapolate.

Per the herd mentality, it sounds awful to have to put up with and I''m a big believer in culling. Just give me a sign if it gets to be too much for you. :)

---------- Post added January-4th-2012 at 11:51 AM ----------

This is one of those regular "thoughts" I see on here that lists among the "most-stupid." Much of the prominent DC sports media features a large compliment of hacks and low-level journalism. Some contrarians and idiots seem to present otherwise here and make numb-brain posts like this one, using what arguably is somewhat of a reality about some posters, to gloss over a very accurate and critical assessment.

Well, I don't know Mursullis. I would expect the QB to develop and improve as the season progresses, but I won't be calling for Shanny's head if we're not 9-7 next season. I'm still of the mindset that more often than not, rookie QBs are going to face a learning curve.

However, I do agree with you that there is a big difference between 9-7 and 5-11. The question that a lot of folks on here still have to answer is, what record do you think Shanny should have next year to be safe for a year 4? Are you really going to buy a 5-11 record? I know there's a lot of variables that will happen in FA and the draft in the interim that will sway folks' expectations, but,,,,,crap, just take a SWAG and throw it out there.

I think if we are not over 500 next year the real strain on the deals made with this FO for 5 yrs will begin.

Well, I don't know Mursullis. I would expect the QB to develop and improve as the season progresses, but I won't be calling for Shanny's head if we're not 9-7 next season. I'm still of the mindset that more often than not, rookie QBs are going to face a learning curve.

However, I do agree with you that there is a big difference between 9-7 and 5-11. The question that a lot of folks on here still have to answer is, what record do you think Shanny should have next year to be safe for a year 4? Are you really going to buy a 5-11 record? I know there's a lot of variables that will happen in FA and the draft in the interim that will sway folks' expectations, but,,,,,crap, just take a SWAG and throw it out there.

I think if we are not over 500 next year the real strain on the deals made with this FO for 5 yrs will begin.

Another season of double-digit losses is simply unacceptable. If any rookie QB is worth a darn, this team should be a contender come December. I just don't buy that excuse anymore, esp. after the seasons Dalton and Newton had.

Archived