Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Stats Lie: But let's take a look anyways

KDawg

We actually had 8. There were only three between Helu, Hightower and Royster.

Beck had 2, Grossman had 1, Helu had 2, Hightower had 1, Young had 1, Torain had 1. But still not a good stat. It ranked 26th in the NFL. Our 19 pass TDs was good enough for 23rd in the NFL.

Man thats terrible. Look at a guy like McCoy who had 17 rushing TD's this season. Adding a guy like that is like adding a TD a game.

I cant even believe that there were what 9 teams that had fewer than us. :ols:

Special Teams:

As you would guess, we were dead last in field goals blocked per game :ols: :doh:...and our FGs blocked percentage was a whopping 12.20%. Jeebus. The next closest were the Giants with 8.33%.

Excluding blocks, Gano made 86.11% of his FGs, which is a definite improvement. If you blame Gano for the blocks, though, it's not lol...

We were 6th in terms of fewest punts per game, which either means we had more lengthy drives than normal or Rex's turnovers eliminated any need to punt lol...

Couldn't agree more..

Those six blocks knocked Gano from being a top ten kicker in FG% to 27th in the NFL.

As I've written over and over.. since Danny has been here the best we've ever finished in FG% is 19th, including 4 dead last finishes.

This year that had the chance to be completely blown away,, but somehow we just couldn't fix the problem of the entire center of the line caving in.

It's always something... but it's never Smith even though he's the common thread to ALL of our continuing special teams problems..

Strange how that works.

~Bang

Out of the 19 new additions (FA signing and Draft):

-17 contributed in 2011.

-13 are legit starters/promising depth players.

-4 can still return in 2012 and become depth/rotational players

-Aldrick Robinson was signed to the roster in week 17. He may be back next year.

That's a pretty good job of scouting and bringing in young talent without wasting draft picks.

Penalties:

Skins ranked 4th in terms of fewest penalties per game, which is excellent. But they ranked dead last in terms of yards per penalty...which means that while they didn't get penalties too often, when they DID commit a penalty it was usually a bad one :ols:...

Our offense and defense were not penalized very much.. that was a definite positive.

The yards per penalty,,, factor in 6 kicks out of bounds.. which is 30 yards from the spot of the kick.

There's 180 yards in penalties right there.

~Bang

Special Teams:

As you would guess, we were dead last in field goals blocked per game :ols: :doh:...and our FGs blocked percentage was a whopping 12.20%. Jeebus. The next closest were the Giants with 8.33%.

Excluding blocks, Gano made 86.11% of his FGs, which is a definite improvement. If you blame Gano for the blocks, though, it's not lol...

The field goal blocks were mainly down to the right side of the line. Whatever the problem is there, and I think it's down to the players more than the coach, it needs to get fixed as a priority.

This year that had the chance to be completely blown away,, but somehow we just couldn't fix the problem of the entire center of the line caving in.

It's always something... but it's never Smith even though he's the common thread to ALL of our continuing special teams problems..

Strange how that works.

~Bang

what is the freakin deal with the line collapsing? it happens every game, so it has to be a coaching thing. i see no benefit in telling the center and guards to just fall over, danny smith is a jack wagon.

have you also noticed on field goals and especially extra points that our team doesnt even try to block them? the edge rushers just kinda stand there, which is completely unacceptable. once again, it has to be a coaching thing.

we dont agree on much but this is one thing we do, fire danny smith.

The field goal blocks were mainly down to the right side of the line. Whatever the problem is there, and I think it's down to the players more than the coach, it needs to get fixed as a priority.

One time i'd agree.

Six times is a total trend, and a failure to address it.

If they all happened in bunches you could say 'well, a backup was messing up".. but six times over the course of 13 games is a failure to make adjustments to fix the problem.

~Bang

Couldn't agree more..

Those six blocks knocked Gano from being a top ten kicker in FG% to 27th in the NFL.

As I've written over and over.. since Danny has been here the best we've ever finished in FG% is 19th, including 4 dead last finishes.

Strange how that works.

~Bang

I think I've joined your anti-Smith bandwagon this season lol :mad:...

---------- Post added January-3rd-2012 at 11:18 AM ----------

Drew Brees passed 10,000 yards in 2 years lol

But not his FIRST two years lol...

Actually, it took Brees 5 years to pass the 10,000 yard mark.

have you also noticed on field goals and especially extra points that our team doesnt even try to block them? the edge rushers just kinda stand there, which is completely unacceptable. once again, it has to be a coaching thing.

Definitely noticed that lack of effort. It's tough to block kicks, but it's impossible if you don't even try. That needs to change.

ooops. I went back and looked and I have no idea where I got the #25 from. Maybe I looked at sacks and that INT's lol

The sad fact remains that Rex Grossman has thrown more interceptions in his career than games played... 54 career games (47 starts), 60 career interceptions. That is ugly.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GrosRe00.htm

Edit: Looking into it a little more, he's in good company. Among other QBs who have thrown more career INTs than games played are Joe Namath, Dan Marino, Brett Favre. Their TD to INT ratio looks way better though.

Peyton Manning threw 100 interceptions in his first five years. Rex has about three years worth of starts in his career. Eli Manning has had six years (5 1/2 technically) when he's thrown an average of 1 interception per game.

Redskins lead the NFL in total QB hits over the last 3 years on offense. Ask the Bears GM, who was fired in part because of his lack of signing quality OL, how important an OL is.

Peyton Manning threw 100 interceptions in his first five years. Rex has about three years worth of starts in his career. Eli Manning has had six years (5 1/2 technically) when he's thrown an average of 1 interception per game.

Redskins lead the NFL in total QB hits over the last 3 years on offense. Ask the Bears GM, who was fired in part because of his lack of signing quality OL, how important an OL is.

Yet our favorite scapegoat, Don McNabb performed better than Grossman. Interesting.

OL is important, and we need to improve ours, but blaming the OL entirely is flat wrong.

Where am I blaming the OL entirely. Of course it doesn't help that your two most talented players on offense are suspended for drugs and you used 4 running backs during the year. Can anyone name a more unstable offense in terms of personnel this year in the league? A QB is not a miracle worker despite what Madden/Fantasy Football implires.

Just keep ignoring the QB hit stat (which has only been measured by the NFL for 3 years) and see how many vet QBs want to play here.

Yet our favorite scapegoat, Don McNabb performed better than Grossman. Interesting.

He did? If so, not by very much...

Completion %:

McNabb: 58.3

Grossman: 57.9

Yards per attempt:

McNabb: 7.2

Grossman: 6.9

TD percentage:

McNabb: 3.0

Grossman: 3.5

Fumbles:

McNabb: 10

Grossman: 8

QB rating:

McNabb: 77.1

Grossman: 72.4

The only place where McNabb had any real advantage was in INT percentage.

Archived