Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Stats Lie: But let's take a look anyways

KDawg

We know that stats never tell the whole story, but let's take a look at them anyways, just to see where some of our guys stand:

Quarterbacks Rex Grossman and John Beck combined for 24 interceptions and 11 fumbles. That's 35 turnover opportunities between those two men alone. Furthermore, they combined for, including rushing touchdowns, 22 touchdowns. That, my friends is not getting the job done. But we knew that, and this has been discussed ad nauseum.

Our running backs were solid this year. Tim Hightower, Roy Helu, and Evan Royster combined for 291 carries, 1289 yards, 3 Rush TD, 4.42 YPC, 69 receptions, 533 yards, 2 TD, 2 fumbles. As a whole, those numbers aren't bad. What stands out as poor is TD production, as our backs only accounted for 5 touchdowns. That's the same number that wide receiver Jabar Gaffney accounted for.

Speaking of Gaffney, our receiving corps was led by Gaffney is receptions (68), yards (947) and TDs (5). He was second in yards per reception at 13.9 and only trailed Donte Stallworth who averaged 14.0 yards per. Fred Davis and Santana Moss had relatively decent years, especially considering their time missed. Davis had 59 receptions, 796 yards and 3 TD and Moss added 46 receptions, 584 yards and 4 TD.

Other receivers were total disappointments, such as Anthony Armstrong, who I'm not sure makes the cut next year. Armstrong appeared in 14 games and tallied 7 receptions for 103 yards. (Technically, he led the team in yards per reception, but given his low reception tally, I've left him out). He was outperformed by rookie wide receiver Leonard Hankerson who appeared in 10 less games. Hank had 13 receptions for 163 yards prior to his injury. Even Terrence Austin, and Logan Paulsen outperformed Armstrong (12/137 and 11/138 respectively)

Defensively, what can be said for London Fletcher that we haven't said time and time again? He led the NFL in tackles with 166. He also added 1.5 sacks, 2 interceptions, 8 passes defensed, and 2 forced fumbles.

We had twelve players combine for 40 sacks. Contributors were: Brian Orakpo (9), Ryan Kerrigan (7.5), Stephen Bowen (6), Adam Carriker (5.5), Barry Cofield (3), Chris Neild (2), Kedric Golston, LaRon Landry, London Fletcher (1.5 each), Perry Riley, Rocky McIntosh (1 each) and OJ Atogwe (0.5)

As most of us know, nose tackles in the 3-4 generally aren't necessarily supposed to be getting sacks, although sacks are a welcome addition. Our noses added 5 sacks to our sack total. That's huge for this Redskin team who has struggled getting to the quarterback in the past.

As noted earlier, linebacker Perry Riley added a single sack, but he came on like a freight train at the end of the year. In 8 games started, and 16 games played in, he had 77 tackles. This isn't necessarily a great stat, considering he compiled tackles in games he didn't start, but if I were to break that down into tackles per game started he'd have 9.6 per game. London Fletcher averaged 10.37 per game. I'd say we found a player in Riley.

Outside backers Ryan Kerrigan and Brain Orakpo combined for 124 tackles, 16.5 sacks, 1 INT, 1 TD, 9 passes defensed, 7 forced fumbles, 1 fumble recovery and about 975 holds against them* :ols:

* denotes a totally fictional, unproven and unfounded statistic that I found humorous.

People like to dog cornerback DeAngelo Hall for his inability to tackle, but he finished second on the team in tackles with 90 total. Folks, it's never good when your corner is your second best tackler. And yes, some of that was due to Hall allowing receptions, but some of that was also due to outstanding hustle coming from DHall chasing down plays. Hall had a down year as far as interceptions are concerned, only tallying 3. He was, however, tied for the team lead with free safety OJ Atogwe. Cornerback Josh Wilson only had two picks, but he was a very, very good addition to the defense. He was solid in coverage all year long, which doesn't really show up on the stat sheet. Hall added 17 passes defensed and Wilson had 15 defensed. Of the two corners, coverage wise I'd say that Wilson was superior to Hall, for sure.

So there are some individual stats to take a look at. Hopefully, we continue to build this offseason, and we get rid of some deadweight... :)

CALIFAN007 ADDITIONAL INFO PROVIDED IN POST #6

We were 7th in sack percentage, which is pretty damn good ...

Just to give some perspective:

Sack Percentage ranking by Year

2011 - 7th

2010 - 30th

2009 - 5th

2008 - 25th

2007 - 27th

2006 - 32nd

2005 - 24th

2004 - 13th

2003 - 26th

I also remember seeing a comment on twitter about Orakpo being the first Skins player to get 8+ sacks in three consecutive years since Dexter Manley did it in the 80s lol...that's way too long.

HITMANDM ADDITIONAL INFORMATION PROVIDED IN POST #9

We were 29th in Red Zone TD %, only scoring on 41.2% of our chances.

However, we were 4th in defensive Red Zone TD%, only allowing a TD on 43.9% of the chances

WILDBILL1952 ADDITIONAL INFORMATION PROVIDED IN POST #68

Some OL Stats, while we're looking at stats:

Stuffed ranks - where a running back or QB is hit at or behind the line of scrimmage: Skins ranked 19th, which is better than the 28th they ranked last year, with 20% of all running plays failling in the "stuffed" category. Source http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol Stii bad, but improving.

The Skins ranked 3rd in sacks against us, which is always a dangerous stat to use, as a QB or covered receivers factor into that statistic. Same for QB hits. You can always blame some on the QB and some on the receivers, but a high number of QB hits plus sacks usually is a bad indication of a bad offensive line. On the other side of the coin, however, the Skins had the same number of sacks as the Green Bay Packers. The Skins had 41 sacks and 108 QB hits, making the Skins the 3rd worst in that totals column, but only 12th in counting only sacks. The two teams that were worse have acknowledged bad offensive lines - St. Louis and Seattle. Source: http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorysta...=PASSING_QBHIT

For the "QB makes the OL better crowd", I'm afraid the stats are a little confusing in that some support and some negate that theory.

Negating: Apparently Bradford must be a bad QB, as I have been told many times on this board that a good QB makes the OL better. Knowing he is a good QB makes me wonder about the theory. Supporting: Drew Brees and the Saints have the lowest sack + QB hits totals. What's a little strange is that the Campbell/Palmer Oakland Raiders seem to be the 6th best in this stat, meaning that Campbell/Palmer made the Skins/Cleveland line worse but made the Raiders line better somehow. I'll leave it to someone else to espouse this theory. I would say the stats do not support it.

Good post bro. Its obvious that we need more playmakers on this team... Especially on offense. Guys who can break tackles and take it 60 yards for a TD. WRs who could post up a DB and attack a jump ball. Trying not to be overly simplistic, but the point is that we are lacking in top tier talent at the skill positions. I like what we have in our RBs, i think they will continue to grow and improve. But otherwise we def need an upgrade. Its no doubt in my mind that will occur THIS offseason. It has to!!

Other receivers were total disappointments, such as Anthony Armstrong, who I'm not sure makes the cut next year. Armstrong appeared in 14 games and tallied 7 receptions for 103 yards. (Technically, he led the team in yards per reception, but given his low reception tally, I've left him out). He was outperformed by rookie wide receiver Leonard Hankerson who appeared in 10 less games. Hank had 13 receptions for 163 yards prior to his injury. Even Terrence Austin, and Logan Paulsen outperformed Armstrong (12/137 and 11/138 respectively)

I actuallly have a theory on the decline of AA and to a lesser extent, Santana: Rex's lack of arm strength. It's been noted that AA is the fastest Redskin and one of the fastest receivers in the NFL. Certainly Santana still has the speed to get deep, albeit not at the speed he had when he was younger. AA last year was the deep threat for McNabb. Rex just doesn't have the arm to hit these guys unless they are wide, wide open and can wait for the ball to flutter down to them. I think this hurt the use of AA as the games became passes underneath to Moss & Gaffney.

Just my $.02

I don't know if anyone heard Shanahan, but apparently, and it's something I wish I would have noticed, we only had one touchdown that came from a pass that wasn't caught in the end zone.

One.

That needs to change.

Like, yesterday :ols:

We were 7th in sack percentage, which is pretty damn good :yes:...

2011 - 7th

2010 - 30th

2009 - 5th

2008 - 25th

2007 - 27th

2006 - 32nd

2005 - 24th

2004 - 13th

2003 - 26th

I also remember seeing a comment on twitter about Orakpo being the first Skins player to get 8+ sacks in three consecutive years since Dexter Manley did it in the 80s lol...that's way too long.

I don't know if anyone heard Shanahan, but apparently, and it's something I wish I would have noticed, we only had one touchdown that came from a pass that wasn't caught in the end zone.

One.

That needs to change.

Like, yesterday :ols:

was that the pass from Banks to Moss?

---------- Post added January-3rd-2012 at 10:16 AM ----------

We were 7th in sack percentage, which is pretty damn good :yes:...

2011 - 7th

2010 - 30th

2009 - 5th

2008 - 25th

2007 - 27th

2006 - 32nd

2005 - 24th

2004 - 13th

2003 - 26th

now we need to get more FF as a result from those sacks. sort of like the Ravens who are (year in and year out) one of the top teams in forcing TOs. I think thats the next step for our defense.

Where does that turnover # for our QB's rank versus the rest of the league I wonder?

Not sure, that's a lot of leg work. But, to be fair, they fumbled 11 times, but we did not lose all 11 of them. But I count a fumble as a turnover opportunity regardless. It's my opinion that recovering a fumble often depends on luck.

was that the pass from Banks to Moss?

I'm not sure. Wish I could find the thread I read that in.

But I don't think they counted that play as one of them, pretty much because it was a trick play. I think Shanahan meant quarterback, typical type passing plays. Man, now it's bothering me that I can't remember where the heck I read that...

A semi-inconsequential stat: Rex Grossman passes 10,000 passing yards for his career.

Something our next QB will do three years from now.

:ols:... and how long has he been in the league? What a completely worthless stat for someone with his amount of experience. :doh:

:ols:... and how long has he been in the league? What a completely worthless stat for someone with his amount of experience. :doh:

Yeah, I noted that in the gameday thread.

Then I got to thinking about it how Brees, Stafford, et al passed for half that this season alone, and I facepalmed.

Only 3 rushing TD's all season???!!!

Wow, that is terrible!

We actually had 8. There were only three between Helu, Hightower and Royster.

Beck had 2, Grossman had 1, Helu had 2, Hightower had 1, Young had 1, Torain had 1. But still not a good stat. It ranked 26th in the NFL. Our 19 pass TDs was good enough for 23rd in the NFL.

Special Teams:

As you would guess, we were dead last in field goals blocked per game :ols: :doh:...and our FGs blocked percentage was a whopping 12.20%. Jeebus. The next closest were the Giants with 8.33%.

Excluding blocks, Gano made 86.11% of his FGs, which is a definite improvement. If you blame Gano for the blocks, though, it's not lol...

We were 6th in terms of fewest punts per game, which either means we had more lengthy drives than normal or Rex's turnovers eliminated any need to punt lol...

I'm not a huge Haslett fan' date=' but I think our sack numbers are slightly inflated because he had no faith in his secondary and therefore decided that blitzing like crazy was the only hope for this team.

(I'm going on my gut with this because I can't find any blitz percentage stats which is driving me nuts).[/quote']

Honestly, I don't feel like we blitzed all that much relative to the rest of the league.

Neither do I, unless we count every time anyone other than a D-Lineman rushed the QB as a blitz, that is.

Yeah, it doesn't count if it's not a 5+ man rush.

We only have 4 or 5 sacks from non-DL, non-OLB players. That's the only immediately available statistic I can think of that points to us not being particularly blitz happy or, at the very least, not terribly exotic in the way we blitz.

Archived