Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Stats Lie: But let's take a look anyways

KDawg

Edit: Looking into it a little more, he's in good company. Among other QBs who have thrown more career INTs than games played are Joe Namath, Dan Marino, Brett Favre. Their TD to INT ratio looks way better though.

I think and hope that is the last time I read Rex being compared to Joe, Dan or Brett in any capacity. :)

KDawg, thanks for putting all those stats comparing Rex and McNabb.... definitely interesting. I was going off more of what I saw and felt than what I've studied as I've indicated, so to see the stats side by side makes for an interesting flow of thought in my mind. A little cognitive dissonance as well, lol. :)

I still think Grossman was more effective and the offense ran more smoothly under him. The problem with saying that is few stats can prove such a thing. That's more for the coaches who call the plays and run practice to know. However, there are things we could look at that would give us a better indication in terms of that. For instance, how many play calls were made to attack the intermediate area of a defense and how did Grossman do with those playcalls vs. McNabb? How much time was left on the play clock at the snap of the ball with Mcnabb under center in comparison to Rex? How much more effective was Rex in terms of passes within 5 yards of the LOS as opposed to McNabb or vice versa? How about 10 yards?

I think those questions, when answered, will prove Rex was the better QB for this offense. Just my opinion. :)

Here's the only thing I could find on football outsiders in regards to that... It's the 2010 game charting they do. So Rex's sample size is small, so the results are a bit skewed. We'll have a better idea of how they compare when they finish up 2011.

Grossman 2010:

Short passes: 58%

Mid: 25%

Deep: 14%

Bomb: 3%

McNabb 2010:

Short: 56%

Mid: 27%

Deep: 9%

Bomb: 8%

McNabb was better in "mid" and "bomb", Grossman was better in "short" and "deep". So that doesn't really prove Rex is the better QB. It again proves that the two are pretty much a dead even heat...

We'll know more, though, when Grossman's 2011 statistics are completed.

Archived