Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Homer: The 11 defining moments of 2011 for the Washington Redskins

themurf

6299810831_9cba0ac20e.jpg

(photo by Brian Murphy)

11. No Hawaii for London – Despite London Fletcher’s impressive season – in which the middle linebacker racked up an NFL-best 166 tackles, 14 quarterback pressures, three forced fumbles, two interceptions and 1.5 sacks – the 36-year-old will not be participating in the Pro Bowl this year.

In fact, the only person associated with the Redskins who earned a trip to the NFL’s glorified all-star game is cheerleader Abby, as Washington will not be sending a single player to Hawaii for the Pro Bowl for the first time since 1993.*

*Unless, of course, someone backs out due to injury, which is always a possibility.

Fletcher is a first alternate, behind San Francisco’s Patrick Willis and Chicago’s Brian Urlacher – even though his stats far surpass Urlacher’s this season. But this is what happens when your team goes 5-11.

So while it sucks for Fletcher, who absolutely deserves to be recognized as one of the league’s elite, it’s not exactly out of the ordinary for bad teams with abysmal records to miss out on positive recognition.

10. Mister Rogers New Neighborhood – Cornerback Carlos Rogers might have been Washington’s least appreciated players over the last decade. During his six seasons in D.C., he was a solid cover corner, but his hands were made of stone. Therefore, local fans only cared about how many would-be interceptions the veteran failed to haul in over the years, rather than accepting him for who he was.

Once head coach Mike Shanahan took over the keys to the franchise, it was clear Rogers’ days in D.C. were numbered. The 30-year-old signed a one-year deal with San Francisco this past offseason and has thrived in his new environment – picking off six passes, which puts him one behind the NFL lead.

To put that in perspective, Rogers had as many interceptions in one season with the 49ers as he did in his last five seasons in Washington combined.

And let’s not forget defensive end Andre Carter, who finished the season with 10 sacks in 14 games for New England after being let go by the current regime because he didn’t fit into their current 3-4 scheme. For better or worse, those two former mainstays remained highly productive even after they were deemed expendable.

9. Letdown in Landover – When the Redskins were blown out by the backups of a 2-14 Minnesota Vikings squad, it was the perfect storm of suck.

The loss was the team’s sixth straight at FedEx Field, which should be illegal. It was also another example of how this team loves to collapse in the rare occasions that they’re favored in a football game, and, worst of all, it was yet another defeat suffered at the hands of a rookie quarterback.

Yes, the Redskins have now lost eight-straight games to rookie quarterbacks dating back to 2006 (which might be the most depressing statistic in the history of modern sports). Add all of that up, and it’s pretty clear that right now, the Washington Redskins aren’t very good at football.

8. Losing Lichtensteiger – There’s no use making excuses, but the Redskins did suffer a ton of injuries this season. Like guard Kory Lichtensteiger. And tight end Chris Cooley. And running back Tim Hightower. And LaRon Landry. And receiver Leonard Hankerson. And defensive lineman Jarvis Jenkins. And so on.

It goes without saying that the team could have used all the help it could get this season, so losing that many players at so many key positions didn’t help matters.

7. No Longer Draft Dodgers – If nothing else, 2011 was a success for fans of the burgundy and gold because it represented the first time in recent history the team had a front office willing to actually apply itself during an NFL Draft.

They didn’t try to play fantasy football. They didn’t try to trade away half a dozen picks for the chance to land an aging veteran. They simply went out and selected a dozen unheralded players who were picked not because they could sell jerseys, but because they could play football.

Their willingness to act like a professionally run organization was rewarded with what is arguably the most productive draft class in two decades.

6. Getting Gaffney – Only 12 players on the roster were here before Shanahan’s arrival, meaning the coach obviously didn’t think highly of what he inherited. With that in mind, it’s been fascinating to watch the two-time Super Bowl winning coach build his kind of football team from the ground up.

Acquiring receiver Jabar Gaffney for defensive lineman Jeremy Jarmon should be considered theft. Giving up aging veteran Vonnie Holiday for Tim Hightower was another savvy move. The free agent signings of guys like Barry Cofield, Stephen Bowen, Oshiomogho Atogwe also represented a shift in philosophy as the front office finally stopped handing out bloated contracts to over-the-hill players.

All of these moves, coupled with the solid 2011 draft class, shows that Shanahan and friends might actually know what they’re doing when it comes to building a franchise from the ground up.

5. Helu’s Hurdle – When rookie running back Roy Helu leapfrogged over a Seattle defender en route to a 28-yard touchdown, it represented a signature moment for a player with a very bright future.

Helu finished the season with 1,019 combined rushing and receiving yards, marking the first season of 1,000-plus combined rushing and receiving yards by a Redskins rookie running back since Reggie Brooks did it back in ‘93.

Add in back-to-back 100-yard performances by fellow rookie Evan Royster, and it’s tough not to get excited about the team’s sudden depth at running back.

Click here for the full article.

As always, great read!!

11. No Hawaii for London – Despite London Fletcher’s impressive season – in which the middle linebacker racked up an NFL-best 166 tackles, 14 quarterback pressures, three forced fumbles, two interceptions and 1.5 sacks – the 36-year-old will not be participating in the Pro Bowl this year.

In fact, the only person associated with the Redskins who earned a trip to the NFL’s glorified all-star game is cheerleader Abby, as Washington will not be sending a single player to Hawaii for the Pro Bowl for the first time since 1993.*

*Unless, of course, someone backs out due to injury, which is always a possibility.

It's already happened. According to this article, from the Chicago Tribune, anyways:

Urlacher was told surgery was not needed at this time, but he faces 10 weeks of rehabilitation to stabilize the knee.

Source: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-spt-0103-bears-urlacher--20120103,0,89512.story

7. No Longer Draft Dodgers – If nothing else, 2011 was a success for fans of the burgundy and gold because it represented the first time in recent history the team had a front office willing to actually apply itself during an NFL Draft.

This is for sure a defining moment. Coupled with the praise Shanahan had for the 49ers organization through building through the draft, and his implied, though not direct, criticism of the Redskin past approach of building the team through free agency.

6. Getting Gaffney

I'll say this time and time again... Gaffney is a very good football player. His age is a concern, but he became the possession receiver we've needed for quite some time.

Gaffney led our team in receptions (68), yards (947), Receiving TDs (5) (And TDs in general. His 5 touchdowns led the entire team). He was second on the team in yards per reception behind only Donte Stallworth's 14.0 yards per. For the record, Gaffney had 13.9 per.

2. Grossman Spreads the Wealth

And to add to your points, Grossman has appeared in 17 games for the Washington Redskins and has turned the ball over in all 17 of them.

Furthermore, in his 17 games playing QB for the Redskins, he's only had two games where he didn't throw a pick (one was against the Lions were he attempted 7 passes and only came in for the two minute offense. The other was this year in the first game of the season against the Giants.)

In seven of those seventeen games, he's thrown two or more picks.

Shanahan having retained Danny Smith is a defining moment IMO. And yes I saw you had "Special" as in Special Team in the honorable mention area. How many close games could have been won if Special meant especially good?

Is this Coach speak below or is Shanahan watching a different unit over the last few years than the rest of us? If he allows ST's Coach Smith back after watching film of the last few years It is going to change my view of the HC himself. Enough is enough and accountability demands a change.

http://www.redskins.com/news-and-events/article-1/Shanahan-Evaluating-Coaching-Staff/030452be-495e-48b6-8039-c1412d430c00

Shanahan did praise long-time Redskins assistant Danny Smith when asked about the special teams coach.

“I think Danny’s done a great job, if you take a look at his body of work,” Shanahan said. “You just don’t do it this season. You take a look at his body of work over time. I think he’s done a great job with the special teams unit and we’re going to continue to get better.

"We’re pretty inexperienced at that position, which is no excuse, but we’ll keep on working to upgrade. We’ve got to get better in that area.”

The Redskins’ special teams excelled in kick coverage, finishing second in the league on kickoffs and 10th in punts. Punter Sav Rocca had a strong season in his first year in Washington, averaging 43.1 yards per punt.

Graham Gano finished 17th in field goal percentage, making 31-of-41 field goal attempts, but five of his attempts were blocked. And Brandon Banks was in the bottom half of the league in kick and punt returns.

I'll say this time and time again... Gaffney is a very good football player. His age is a concern, but he became the possession receiver we've needed for quite some time.

Gaffney led our team in receptions (68), yards (947), Receiving TDs (5) (And TDs in general. His 5 touchdowns led the entire team). He was second on the team in yards per reception behind only Donte Stallworth's 14.0 yards per. For the record, Gaffney had 13.9 per.

And to add to your points, Grossman has appeared in 17 games for the Washington Redskins and has turned the ball over in all 17 of them.

Furthermore, in his 17 games playing QB for the Redskins, he's only had two games where he didn't throw a pick (one was against the Lions were he attempted 7 passes and only came in for the two minute offense. The other was this year in the first game of the season against the Giants.)

In seven of those seventeen games, he's thrown two or more picks.

Great additional info on Grossman and Gaffney. Thanks for adding to the discussion, sir.

Really, no mention of Shanahan's debacle at QB? That should be number one

It's always easy to see which people post comments without reading the entire article.

I did. You talked about Grossman's turnovers and Beck getting stuffed in Buffalo

But no talk of Shanahan staking his reputation on both of these guys? No benching Grossman for Beck only to go back to him two games later? Thats number one right there. Shanahan's miss-handling of the QB position in Year 2 of his tenure

I did. You talked about Grossman's turnovers and Beck getting stuffed in Buffalo

But no talk of Shanahan staking his reputation on both of these guys? No benching Grossman for Beck only to go back to him two games later? Thats number one right there. Shanahan's miss-handling of the QB position in Year 2 of his tenure

So to recap, my two defining moments of the 2011 season were the failures of the two Redskins quarterbacks, and yet, you're not happy because I didn't kick Shanahan more? The guy didn't sign Grossman and Beck to matching 10-year deals. He rolled the dice with them and both fell flat.

There were no better options. Period. How people continue to overlook this is beyond me.

There were no better options. Period. How people continue to overlook this is beyond me.

Mallet

Mallet

Mallet

Mallet

Mallet

Mallet

Mallet

Mallet

Mallet

Mallet

Anyway, I think the 10-sack game was the defining moment of the season. That's where it became clear that Shanny had hitched his wagon to a ginger with the pocket presence of a cardboard standup.

Better options is beside the point. The point is that in two years, we haven't even brought in a young guy to develop. In the past two years, we haven't had a guy here which we could even think about being the future of this franchise. For an offensive-minded coach with a sub-.500 team, it kinda blows my mind.

Was Brunell's 2005 season the last better than average season for a Washington QB? I just happened to be watching tape of the game against the Eagles (Sunday night game, TO suspended). Even though the offense only had 17 points; Brunell had that engine humming and was throwing it around with authority. Like he knew what he was doing at QB.

Heck, let's bring back Jason Campbell.

[DUCK]

[DUCK]

Campbell is better than anyone we have on the team currently, tho I doubt we go that direction. (Unless yet again Shanahan passes on a rookie QB in the draft. That being said, I can't see doing another full season of Grossman at QB.)

Campbell is better than anyone we have on the team currently, tho I doubt we go that direction. (Unless yet again Shanahan passes on a rookie QB in the draft. That being said, I can't see doing another full season of Grossman at QB.)

That is an interesting notion. I seriously doubt it would happen. But aside from the extremely unlikely Manning scenario and Flynn, he's easily the best guy out there that I can think of. And I would not be totally opposed to him being the bridge guy to the rookie. He doesn't move the ball as well as Grossman but he doesn't turn it over like him either. So it's kind of a toss-up I guess. Most people would be against it though.

Mallet

Anyway' date=' I think the 10-sack game was the defining moment of the season. That's where it became clear that Shanny had hitched his wagon to a ginger with the pocket presence of a cardboard standup.[/quote']

Hey -- what do you think of Ryan Mallet? You think he'd be good?

Beck was horrid -- beyond horrid -- he was Heath Shuler level bad. I can't wait to see a competent QB run this offense. 90% of our offensive, and some of our defensive, problems stem from that very issue.

Better options is beside the point. The point is that in two years, we haven't even brought in a young guy to develop. In the past two years, we haven't had a guy here which we could even think about being the future of this franchise. For an offensive-minded coach with a sub-.500 team, it kinda blows my mind.

History has been made, folks.

I am in 100 percent agreement with La Longshot.

It's really puzzling that there is not even some kind of fourth round flyer on this team right now. Like a Mike Kafka-type. (Who, by the way, my father in law loves...though he always loves the Eagles 3rd String QB).

---------- Post added January-3rd-2012 at 02:10 PM ----------

Campbell is a mediocre NFL quarterback - which would be an upgrade for us.

Even though I was on the bandwagon that drove him out of town, I never hated Campbell. Too many people think that the only reason to let a player walk is because they are bad. I disagree. Some players just are not going to succeed with a certain team. It's like a bad relationship. The girl may be perfectly lovely, but the relationship just does not work.

Campbell was never going to make it here. I sort of feel the same way with Laron. I think he may still be an All Pro in the NFL - just not in Washington.

Campbell was never going to make it here. I sort of feel the same way with Laron. I think he may still be an All Pro in the NFL - just not in Washington.

If you say that, you pretty much have to say that no young player can succeed here because it all has to do with the environment, which hasn't been healthy for any young player who has been here.

Players like Cooley have been exceptions, not the rule.

If you say that, you pretty much have to say that no young player can succeed here because it all has to do with the environment, which hasn't been healthy for any young player who has been here.

Well, hasn't that pretty much been the case?

I think Landry is probably like Rogers and probably just wants a change of scenery by now. The guys been here 5 years, has lost 48 games, had three head coaches, had to deal with the Sean Taylor tragedy, and lost two seasons to injury.

Unless you were a Shanahan disciple (and I see no evidence that he is), wouldn't you want to start over in someplace like, I dunno, New Orleans? (Good team, needs help in pass defense, home state, familiar coordinator).

Well' date=' hasn't that pretty much been the case?

I think Landry is probably like Rogers and probably just wants a change of scenery by now. The guys been here 5 years, has lost 48 games, had three head coaches, had to deal with the Sean Taylor tragedy, and lost two seasons to injury.

Unless you were a Shanahan disciple (and I see no evidence that he is), wouldn't you want to start over in someplace like, I dunno, New Orleans? (Good team, needs help in pass defense, home state, familiar coordinator).[/quote']

Wouldn't we want to keep talent when we can, instead of creating new holes that need to be filled?

The only reason why I'd think we'd let him go is if we didn't have confidence that he could stay healthy. I also think that if we want to keep him, we will franchise him.

Anyways, unlike Rogers, Landry was embraced by this defense and he was on his way to having his best season when he got hurt.

Well' date=' hasn't that pretty much been the case?

Unless you were a Shanahan disciple (and I see no evidence that he is), wouldn't you want to start over in someplace like, I dunno, New Orleans? (Good team, needs help in pass defense, home state, familiar coordinator).[/quote']

Landry likes it here and wants to stay, but he also wants to get paid. Whether or not the team is willing to give him the money is -- especially long term -- is the million-dollar question.

Archived