Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Homer: The 11 defining moments of 2011 for the Washington Redskins

themurf

Wouldn't we want to keep talent when we can, instead of creating new holes that need to be filled?

Not if it's not going to perform here.

I actually think you can look good while letting him walk. Have a meeting with him. See what he wants to do. Be honest with him. And if he expresses an interest in leaving, let him.

That kind of thing matters to players and it spreads around the league. I think the Skins have a reputation of being a place where you will get paid but where it can turn ugly on you in a hurry (we have a history from Laverneous Coles to Albert Haynesworth that shows that).

Being a place that treats players like adults will matter in the long-term.

---------- Post added January-3rd-2012 at 03:02 PM ----------

Landry likes it here and wants to stay, but he also wants to get paid.

The former is good. The latter...eh.

I'm for keeping our "core guys" but Landry is such a question mark right now.

I honestly don't know his value on the open market. Can he demand a big payday elsewhere?

Not if it's not going to perform here.

As I said above' date=' Landry WAS performing before he got hurt last year, and he was playing hurt all this season.

I honestly don't know his value on the open market. Can he demand a big payday elsewhere?

Players don't play this game for free. Their first view of FA is usually their best chance at getting paid. People shouldn't be shocked when a player is looking for money when they do hit FA.

Right now, I think the only reason why he's considered a question mark is that he's spent a season and a half hurt. (Partially because Landry knew if he wanted to get paid, he needed to be out on the field. He gambled and lost on that aspect of it.)

In the past two years, we haven't had a guy here which we could even think about being the future of this franchise. For an offensive-minded coach with a sub-.500 team, it kinda blows my mind.

It's not that much of a mystery to me. This team had no depth at any position, and that had to be dealt with first.

Which young QB should we have brought in, and how would we have gotten said QB and still stocked up on depth at key positions?

The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced the only move is for the team to tag him for one year and see if the guy can stay healthy long enough to warrant a longer deal. If not, then you'll have three straight years of Landry on the sidelines which is more than enough reason to say goodbye. Makes too much sense to not happen, right?

It's not that much of a mystery to me. This team had no depth at any position, and that had to be dealt with first.

Which young QB should we have brought in, and how would we have gotten said QB and still stocked up on depth at key positions?

It's one position. I'm sure we could have cut someone.

Someone like John Beck!!!

---------- Post added January-3rd-2012 at 04:06 PM ----------

The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced the only move is for the team to tag him for one year and see if the guy can stay healthy long enough to warrant a longer deal. If not, then you'll have three straight years of Landry on the sidelines which is more than enough reason to say goodbye. Makes too much sense to not happen, right?

It's a lot of money to pay a guy on a flyer.

It's a lot of money to pay a guy on a flyer.

The last time LaRon Landry was consistently healthy (first half of 2010 season), he was playing at a Pro Bowl level. If you're willing to chalk up this season as lost because he wasn't able to go through the team's doctors and rehab through traditional channels, then it's not unreasonable to tag him for one season at five or six million (or whatever the final number works out to). Like I said, if he plays at that same level and remains in the lineup for all 16 games, then you look at what he's asking for money-wise. If not, then you cut ties and wish him the best of luck elsewhere. The team is going to have the cap room to do it, so why wouldn't they do it?

If you franchise Landry you can't franchise Fred Davis. Which do you want to lose?

You are assuming that we can't reach a deal with Davis for some reason. I don't believe that will be a problem.

The reason to franchise Landry is that you are only on the hook for one year, since he's coming off of injury.

I'll say this time and time again... Gaffney is a very good football player. His age is a concern, but he became the possession receiver we've needed for quite some time.

Gaffney led our team in receptions (68), yards (947), Receiving TDs (5) (And TDs in general. His 5 touchdowns led the entire team). He was second on the team in yards per reception behind only Donte Stallworth's 14.0 yards per. For the record, Gaffney had 13.9 per.

with that said, he's a couple of years younger than Moss, would you cut ties with Moss at this point?

You are assuming that we can't reach a deal with Davis for some reason. I don't believe that will be a problem.

The reason to franchise Landry is that you are only on the hook for one year, since he's coming off of injury.

We're both assuming, me that we can't reach a deal, and you that we can.

I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that the player that most people are tapping as one of the top 5 most talented Redskins per that other thread isn't at least going to listen to offers from other teams. Especially since it's a copy cat league and NE among other teams has shown the value of good receiving TEs, and especially given that another team may have a better QB and a better chance of winning.

11 defining losses... er, um moments... yes. Number 9 is what puzzles me about this team for at least the last 10 years. How can you come off dominating a team like the NFC East Champ Giants... at their house... and THEY needed that game... and yet completely lay an egg on your own turf to a 2-12 team? I seriously think that 50% (or 75%) of our problems are not with talent, but more with mental.

We're both assuming, me that we can't reach a deal, and you that we can.

I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that the player that most people are tapping as one of the top 5 most talented Redskins per that other thread isn't at least going to listen to offers from other teams. Especially since it's a copy cat league and NE among other teams has shown the value of good receiving TEs, and especially given that another team may have a better QB and a better chance of winning.

Well, you do have to remember that Davis is one bad move from geting a year suspension. Also, given the roster clensing that has happened the past couple of years, cap room shouldn't be an issue. If they want Davis (and Davis hasn't shown any real desire to leave), it shouldn't be an issue to give him what he wants. The only way I think he doesn't is if someone goes stupid, like what happen with Dockery a few years back. At that point, you move on and address other positions. Personally, I don't think that will happen because I don't think there is much desperation when it comes to TEs.

Normally, Landry wouldn't be an issue either, but his injuries make giving him a long-term contract a big question mark.

Archived