Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dan Graziano (ESPN) article with excerpts from Shanahan interview

DogofWar1

Blog Article is here:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/34674/shanahan-mailbag-skins-need-a-no-1-wr

Apparently it's not the full interview, and he'll post more pieces later, but there are some interesting bits.

Shanahan saying that WR was the biggest positional need is really interesting, and will surely fuel speculation even more (heaven help us).

He also addresses questions about Hankerson and FA.

Nothing from Coach about QB plans, at least not in this part of the interview, though Dan gives us his impression.

Edit:

Part 2 of the Shanahan mailbag went up. Link here: http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/34788/shanahan-mailbag-offense-a-family-affair

He talks about Kyle, his relationship with Snyder, and his thoughts about team building.

On "The most glaring positional need":

Mike Shanahan: "We've got to get a wide receiver that's a playmaker. You've got to have a No. 1, no question about it. We've got [santana] Moss, and [Jabar] Gaffney, who's going to be right at 1,000 yards. But you're still looking for a guy that can go the distance and make plays, running on a short shallow cross and go the distance. Everybody's looking for that."

On Hankerson:

MS: "I think he's got a chance to be the guy. Health is what we don't know. He's got the hip. But we're hoping he's going to be that guy. You can see in practice where he's a natural. Big. The thing that separates guys at No. 1 is when they can beat bump coverage and they don't have to slow down to beat it. They're able to keep their speed and be able to get by somebody. He's got that."

Honestly, I think that might be smoke and mirrors, all the WR talk.

Would I like Blackmon? Yes

Do I want Grossman throwing him the ball? Hell no.

Agreed, From this it looks like Shanahan likes Hankerson, and i would be surprised if we took a WR in the first

I think it is a smoke screen. Not long ago Shanahan was saying that our biggest problem was turn overs, and though Moss tossed the ball to Vikings defender, out WR's aren't the biggest contributors to turn overs. Moss has definitely lost a step, he should have caught that bomb from Grossman that went through his hands, and his antics with his helmet on Sunday are alarming for a vet, but I just don't see how WR could be the major focus of this off season in the minds of the coaches.

You are completely ignoring FA. When he says Hankerson COULD be that guy, it means hes going to develop him. Another rookie will need development.

I think this completely shows WR will be the #1 acquisition in FA. There are a lot out there too.

Coachy speak. HE says WR but thinks QB. Interesting that he also spoke about Gaffney. I see Gaffney, Hankerson and Moss as the top three unless some FA is added.

---------- Post added January-3rd-2012 at 09:31 AM ----------

You are completely ignoring FA. When he says Hankerson COULD be that guy, it means hes going to develop him. Another rookie will need development.

I think this completely shows WR will be the #1 acquisition in FA. There are a lot out there too.

I agree with this ^ and Moss might be relegated to slot and number two/three or even gone.

Good points. I was just focusing on the draft.

I agree with this ^ and Moss might be relegated to slot and number two/three or even gone.

I don't see Moss being gone, since we don't have a lot of WR targets that are even decent, but his role could be reduced. But, a lot of that will depend on who is signed and who develops. Right now, Hankerson really is the only young receiver who looks close to contributing on that level and he's recovering from injury.

---------- Post added January-3rd-2012 at 10:52 AM ----------

Didn't Shanahan once say he would flat out lie to a reporter if he thought it would give him an advantage?

I never expect coaches to be completely honest to reporters. I expect them to say a lot of things that mean absolutely nothing.

I'm praying Hankerson comes back healthy with no setbacks because I trust Shanahan when he says he thinks he's got something in Leonard. Moss has lost a step to be sure, but I can't judge a guy coming back from a break in his hand for dropping a few balls. Honestly, I want to see him break 10,000 yards and 60 TD's because he only needs about 850 yards and 4 TD's to do so. Hopefully he can remain effective enough for us to see that through and be effective enough that he deserves to be out there to do it. I wish Rex would have looked Niles Paul's way more this year because I think he's got the size and speed to be a big threat as well.

I bet they go after Alshon Jeffery in the draft from SC and get a QB in free agency. He's a tough, big receiver with amazing hands. Can't remember the last time the Skins had one of those at WR. Spurrier and Shanahan go back 30 years and the former has a LONG history of acquiring the latter's college players.

I really am holding out all hope that Hankerson is the guy. He just started to emerge as that guy and then got hurt. That had to be the most disappointing thing that happened this season for me along with losing Jenkins. Losing is one thing, but to not even get the joy of seeing our rookies (2nd and 3rd rounders at that) grow and become dominant really hurt. They both had the potential to have really good seasons this year.

Hopefully we get both back in full affect. Those two have the potential to be superstars.

Just threw up part 2 of the mailbag series.

From part 1, I'm really interested in seeing what happens with WR this offseason. Smoke or not, when a coach says it's a need, that probably means he has some plan for it.

As for part 2, I found it interesting that Shanahan specifically talked about his potential longevity in Washington. I guess he figures he has two more years tops to turn it around, or his contract is getting cut short. I wonder if his assumption that he has 4 years vs. a lot of people's assumption that he has 3 years will affect his decision making in terms of getting a QB. If he thinks he has a full year after next, does he focus less on QB this offseason, maybe getting a developmental guy or FA, and focusing on the draft? Or is the sense of urgency that might get him to move up for RGIII still there?

He doesn't have to be talking about Blackmon. He could be indicating he's ready to open Snyder's wallet for a #1 WR in FA.

Edit: I see that someone else already brought this to your attention. Oops!

Just threw up part 2 of the mailbag series.

From part 1, I'm really interested in seeing what happens with WR this offseason. Smoke or not, when a coach says it's a need, that probably means he has some plan for it.

As for part 2, I found it interesting that Shanahan specifically talked about his potential longevity in Washington. I guess he figures he has two more years tops to turn it around, or his contract is getting cut short. I wonder if his assumption that he has 4 years vs. a lot of people's assumption that he has 3 years will affect his decision making in terms of getting a QB. If he thinks he has a full year after next, does he focus less on QB this offseason, maybe getting a developmental guy or FA, and focusing on the draft? Or is the sense of urgency that might get him to move up for RGIII still there?

That's interesting, but it makes sense. No matter who we get, they are going to be new to the system. Maybe Rex keeps the seat warm for a bit, but Shanny does have history of benching a winning Jake Plummer to get Cutler experience and then crashing out of the playoff race. I think if we get a rookie QB for the future Shanahan should be around for at least two years to see what he can do. It's a lot of pressure for this hypothetical young QB, but in this day and age you simply can't wait as long as you'd like for QBs to pan out.

(edit: not that we'd give up on the QB, but if Shanny can't do anything with him for two years the coach/QB tandem will be broken up)

Would I like Blackmon? Yes.

I don't... If Luck and RG3 are gone and Blackmon is sitting there @ 6 i say they take him. Do i think Blackmon will make it to 6? No. :ols:

---------- Post added January-3rd-2012 at 06:33 PM ----------

BTW, last offseason Shanny said publically that a pass rusher would be a priority in the draft. And look at who they got? See Shanny's quote below, during the combine..

I think [outside pass-rusher] ranks right at the top. Obviously when you have any consistent defense, using the 3-4, you've got to have two great outside pass-rushers, a great nose tackle and a great safety.

Archived