Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Hobbit (Teaser Trailer released)

Unforgiven

So it alludes to it in the OP, but the story IS going to be done over the course of 2 separate films? I'm pretty pumped up for this coming out (just don't want to brave the crowds that are sure to accompany this one).

3 films..they could make an entire film over the last 25 or so pages of the book.

I would suspect the first film ends with the Gollum riddle confrontation...

I just started reading The Hobbit for the first time. Didn't think I'd like the books, however I am enjoying how the story is being told in the book. Am now getting excited for the movie. I am also going to read LotR as well. At least I am past where I think the movie will end so no spoilers for me.

I just started reading The Hobbit for the first time. Didn't think I'd like the books, however I am enjoying how the story is being told in the book. Am now getting excited for the movie. I am also going to read LotR as well. At least I am past where I think the movie will end so no spoilers for me.

I'm glad you are enjoying The Hobbit!

Others may disagree, but I'll offer advice for when you start LOTR. They are amazing, absolutely incredible. They are likely my favorite works of literature. But expect them to be NOTHING like The Hobbit. It's very hard to explain; hopefully others can help me. They are very, drastically different kinds of fabulous. Nothing wrong with it, just be prepared.

3 films..they could make an entire film over the last 25 or so pages of the book.

I would suspect the first film ends with the Gollum riddle confrontation...

Thought in one of the previews Gandolf was in a tree, at the wolf battle. This would set it up so they would be walking towards Beorn's place at the end of the movie.

There is a lot covered in the first movie. Bard the Bowman is on the cast list, so it goes up to Laketown.

The titles of the 3 movies are:

1. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

2. The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

3. The Hobbit: There and Back Again

Wow! They make it to lake town? That means the last movie is probably a three hour battle of 5 armies.

I would have guessed the ending is when the Eagles drop them off at the edge of Mirkwood. But that was when it was two movies, so my next guess would be when they escape the goblin caves.

Anyway, gonna see it tomorrow in 3D. Not sure if I am seeing it in 48p (I don't even know what the means) but the reviews i've seen are negative and say everything is sped up and looks fake.

Whatever. I expect to love it and hope im not dissapointed.

hobbit-panel-10-470x353.gif

Getting a lot of mixed reviews. Slow going, lots of detail, lots of groundwork being laid for the next two. Basically if you're a Tolkien fan and/or like the extended cuts of the LOTR trilogy then you should like it. That said, I'm excited to see it.

---------- Post added December-15th-2012 at 12:15 PM ----------

Can someone explain the high frame rate version? Any particularly notable benefits that would make it worth the extra $5 or so a ticket?

Can someone explain the high frame rate version? Any particularly notable benefits that would make it worth the extra $5 or so a ticket?

My understanding is that it's actually a much more realistic view of how we actually see things in real life - much sharper/more clear, and more vivid colors, much like watching HD vs SD tv. That said, it takes time to adjust and it will look really fake at first, and the criticisms I've seen say that because the picture is so much sharper it only emphasizes what's not "real" in the movie, much like when you watch the news in HD and you can see the anchor's makeup line.

If studios continue to experiment with the higher frame rate, I think it will definitely require them to also up their game in the makeup and effects departments.

My understanding is that it's actually a much more realistic view of how we actually see things in real life - much sharper/more clear, and more vivid colors, much like watching HD vs SD tv. That said, it takes time to adjust and it will look really fake at first, and the criticisms I've seen say that because the picture is so much sharper it only emphasizes what's not "real" in the movie, much like when you watch the news in HD and you can see the anchor's makeup line.

If studios continue to experiment with the higher frame rate, I think it will definitely require them to also up their game in the makeup and effects departments.

Cool, thanks!

If you love the book, you will love this movie!

I'd have to disagree.

If you love the LotR movies, you'll love this movie.

If you're in it to watch a film adaptation of The Hobbit, you might be disappointed.

Not saying I didn't like it, but I am left a bit flat after last night.

I saw the Hobbit today with my 7 year old son. I loved the book as well as the LoTR books. I did not like the LoTR movies. However, my son and I loved The Hobbit.

First, it does start slow. But it's not like LoTR. It gets on track and then really flows.

The actor that plays Bilbo is great. I hated Frodo. He was terrible and I just couldn't stand him. Bilbo is perfect. Great casting.

My son even asked if we could see it again.

I have the LoTR dvd's, saw all three movies at the theatre and have tried to like them but just can't. This was the complete opposite.

Okay adaptation, I understand why they needed to keep Azog around.

This is where I sit I suppose.

To me, the movie (series) isn't going to be 'There and Back Again'.

It's going to be 'Peter Jackson's: The Hobbit, with extra...stuff'

We'll see how the other 2 go.

Archived