Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things North Korea Thread

@DCGoldPants

Didn't they just lose a submarine?

~Sunk

LMAO! Yeah, they did! But it was only a 2 man sub. Who the **** builds a 2 man sub in 2016? 

I always thought NK was stuck in the 1950s. But it seems more like the 1850s. Hell, Jefferson Davis had a 7-8 man sub! 

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-northkorea-nuclear-idUSKCN0WJ30V?feedType=RSS&feedName=worldNews

North Korea fires ballistic missile into sea: Yonhap

North Korea fired a ballistic missile on Friday off its east coast and it flew about 800 km (500 miles) into the sea, South Korea's Yonhap news agency reported.

The launch comes amid heightened tension on the Korean peninsula with the North remaining defiant in the face of the latest U.N. Security Council resolution adopted earlier in the month in response to a nuclear test conducted in January.

Edited by visionary

I wasn't sure if I should include this in campaign thread or here but decided on this one.  I'd really like to US to start leaning harder on China to control NK.  Include it as part of a trade deal or something.  But it needs to be made clear that China needs to yank this dogs chain.  Everyone knows NK would completely crumble if China wasn't propping them up.  So really I blame China for allowing this to continue.  I'd like to see NK become a major part of the next presidential debate.

What leverage do we have with China?

China is currently in the business of expanding their influence in the region, not diminishing it. There is no way that China wants a democratic and free Korean Peninsula bordering it directly

China is currently in the business of expanding their influence in the region, not diminishing it. There is no way that China wants a democratic and free Korean Peninsula bordering it directly

Nor do they want US troops on their border.  

The host country I think would ultimately determine it. Things are different nowadays. No permanent bases in Iraq or Afghanistan

Oh, definitely the host country would determine it.   And the Koreans would invite us to stay forever, because they are terrified of China.  

You know we assume South Korea wants a unified Korea. I'm not sure that's true anymore.

I think you might be more right than anyone really acknowledges, and it is an interesting point

All of the family relations have or are in the process of dying off. They already speak with two very different accents and vernaculars. We've seen directly how shunned NK defectors are in the south, they're like lepers. And why would South Korea want to bankroll 50 million welfare cases overnight?

Then again it would be a cheap labor infusion to fund the South Korean economic machine, so you can bet the business elite would want it

I'm not talking about having China support a democratic NK or anything.  Let them put in another dictator if that's what is needed.  But just get them to keep NK in check.  They can still be a communist **** hole, just a slightly less crazy one. 

Well I'm sure. But would they want reunification or a sane NK that was in China's pocket?

Agreed.   But China can't make that happen without invading.   North Korea is basically a giant religious cult.  

There is no way for China to remove Kim and install a normal government (even a normal communist government) without a massive amount of upheaval and probably a war, a war in which the cult leader has a handful of nukes.  Dandong is a major Chinese port with a couple of million people, right there on the NK border.