Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Human Events (Blog?): Leftwing Rabbi: Tebow-mania Will Lead to Mosque Burnings or Something

Larry

OK, saw a reference to this page on another site.

Oceans of ink have already been spilled chronicling the exploits of Denver Broncos quarterback Tim Tebow, not only for his heroics on the field the past two months but also for his devout Christianity. Tebow isn't shy about his religious beliefs and he's certainly not the first athlete to pray to God.

Yet sure enough, along comes someone named Rabbi Joshua Hammerman writing in The Jewish Week with possibly the most unhinged "insight" into what could happen with further success by Tebow.

In this country, nothing, not even God, is more popular than football. Even in the wake of a summer long labor dispute, 23 of the 25 most watched TV programs this fall have been NFL games. When you combine the religion that is football with the religion that is religion, the mix can be dangerously flammable.

People are always looking for signs of God’s beneficence, and a victory by the Orange Crush over the blue-clad Patriots, from the bluest of blue states, will give fodder to a Christian revivalism that has already turned the Republican presidential race into a pander-thon to social conservatives, rekindling memories of those cultural icons of the ‘80s, the Moral Majority and “Hee Haw.” The culture wars are alive and well, and, if the current climate in Washington is any indicator, the motors are being revved up for what will undoubtedly be the most cantankerous Presidential campaign ever. When supposedly well-educated candidates publicly question overwhelming scientific evidence on climate change and evolution and then gain electoral traction by fabricating conspiracies about a war on Christmas, these are not rational times.

Wait, what? What does so-called climate change have to do with anything? And "Hee Haw"? Is this some bigoted cultural reference to Southerners?

He's right, though, these are not rational times. And this column is concrete evidence of that.

If Tebow wins the Super Bowl, against all odds, it will buoy his faithful, and emboldened faithful can do insane things, like burning mosques, bashing gays and indiscriminately banishing immigrants. While America has become more inclusive since Jerry Falwell’s first political forays, a Tebow triumph could set those efforts back considerably.

Another web site, referencing the same Rabbi's article:

Business Insider: RABBI: If Tim Tebow Wins The Super-Bowl, Christians Will Start Burning Mosques And Bashing Gays

I figure there's no telling where this one will go.

:munchout:

Ok I'm as much of a critic of the Tebow mania from Christians as anyone, but this guy is an idiot for thinking that his success will lead to mosque burnings, gay bashing and anti-immigrant sentiment. This guy is just as absurd as the Colorado pastor who claimed that God was causing Tebow to win.

*edit

Having said that I'm pretty sure that Larry found the most sensationalistic article he could find to post.

Ok I'm as much of a critic of the Tebow mania from Christians as anyone, but this guy is an idiot for thinking that his success will lead to mosque burnings, gay bashing and anti-immigrant sentiment. This guy is just as absurd as the Colorado pastor who claimed that God was causing Tebow to win.

Yet, for whatever reason, Tebow wins.

Yet, for whatever reason, Tebow wins.

Actually, the Broncos win. I have nothing against Tebow, he seems like a real nice kid, but this winning streak Denver is on is 75 percent defense, 5 percent Tebow, and about 20 percent crazy luck.

oh, and this Rabbi is a knucklehead.

See this what aggrevates me, when a Christian is not ashamed of his/her faith then all too often the become a lightning rod for crazies on both sides, but they themselves are just trying to be faithful.

You're angry because Tebow where's his faith on his sleave and wins?

Ok I'm as much of a critic of the Tebow mania from Christians as anyone, but this guy is an idiot for thinking that his success will lead to mosque burnings, gay bashing and anti-immigrant sentiment.

Actually, the thought that occurred to me was "We've already got gay bashing and anti-immigrant sentiment".

(And I posted the two links that were referenced on the other site. I didn't do any research at all.)

(You think I work at this?)

Actually, the Broncos win. I have nothing against Tebow, he seems like a real nice kid, but this winning streak Denver is on is 75 percent defense, 5 percent Tebow, and about 20 percent crazy luck.

Broncos without Tebow: 1-4

Broncos with Tebow: 7-1.

Now, I did see one critic point out that all they've done, with Tebow, is go undefeated against a bunch of teams that are .500, or one game above it.

But then the counter thought occurs to me that this is the NFL, and if you can go undefeated against teams that are one game above .500, then you're in the playoffs, and you might win your division.

Now, I did see one critic point out that all they've done, with Tebow, is go undefeated against a bunch of teams that are .500, or one game above it.

But then the counter thought occurs to me that this is the NFL, and if you can go undefeated against teams that are one game above .500, then you're in the playoffs, and you might win your division.

Exactly. All he does is win. Tebow has been open about his faith for a while now.

And religous crazies have been coming out of the woodwork for thousands of years. I hardly think Tebow will he more than a drop in the bucket

You're angry because Tebow where's his faith on his sleave and wins?

Yeah that's what I said. What I'm angry about are the dorks who blow this all out of proportion either by claimin that a team winning is because of one team member's faith (as if he's the only Christian on the team) and those who hate the fact that he is very open and expressive about his faith and claim that people will do stupid stuff if he succeeds!

No the team is winning because of the TEAM and if people do stupid stuff it is because THEY are STUPID!

It's not the quality of the teams that is significant. It is the nature of the wins. Essentially, in most games Tebow goes something like 6 for 22 passing for the majority of the game, but the excellent Denver defense keeps the other team's offense under 15 points. Then Tebow either leads one successful drive to win the game or the other team fumbles deep in its own endzone and Denver kicks a field goal, or Denver recovers an onside kick, or whatever. They won a game a couple of weeks ago where Tebow completed 2 passes. For the whole game.

I like Tebow, he's fun to watch, but the MVP of that team is not Tebow. Its Von Miller.

Actually, the thought that occurred to me was "We've already got gay bashing and anti-immigrant sentiment".

(And I posted the two links that were referenced on the other site. I didn't do any research at all.)

(You think I work at this?)

Exactly, this rabbi just predicted the past...:thumbsup:

No you didn't work at it but you knew what to do with it. :ols:

Think about how insulting this is to all the other Christians in the NFL, does God hate Christians who play on the Colts? Peyton Manning must have pissed God off.

No matter what happens, it will scare somebody.

I'm an unabashed Tebow fan, I'm all for him. (Except if and when he plays the redskins.) I have a pretty apparent distate for religion in general mostly because so many people are such hypocrites over it,, but he's absoluterly genuine.

I don't care if he wears it on his sleeve, he isn't preachy. It's his faith he talks about, not anyone else's. He doesn't expect anyone else to live the way he does, he chooses to, and he lives it as humbly as he can in the spotlight. You can't ask for better. I may not believe what he believes, but i have a great deal of respect for how he lives his life.

I don't care what anyone thinks is "happening" with the Broncos... it's fun to watch. The Broncos have played lights-out defense, and he's been spectacular in the 4th quarter. They believe in him, and it's turning into positive results. And that's all that matters.

I know people are probably getting sick of all the media love, but if it wasn't Tebow,, if it were Andy Dalton leading this sort of remarkable run, the media'd be slobbering on him, too. Tebow's faith and his miraculous season make for a very good story.

~Bang

I know people are probably getting sick of all the media love, but if it wasn't Tebow,, if it were Andy Dalton leading this sort of remarkable run, the media'd be slobbering on him, too. Tebow's faith and his miraculous season make for a very good story.

~Bang

Agreed. Better slobbering over him than the likes of Romo sits to pee, or Vick, or somebody.

There's a lot of worse people they could be bandwagoning on.

---------- Post added December-15th-2011 at 10:09 PM ----------

I haven't seen Tebow play yet but if his success proves one thing, is that most NFL analysts and experts haven't a ****ing clue, as they were so dismissive of the Broncos for putting him on the field. :ols:

Well, now, by a lot of measurables, he hasn't done much. (Unless you count setting the NFL record for most rushing attempts by a QB.)

I think that at least part of his "thing" is leadership. Something that's really hard to measure at the combine. But we all know that it's valuable, anyway.

Same reason so many Skins fans are so attached to London Fletcher. He makes the rest of the team better.

Yeah that's what I said. What I'm angry about are the dorks who blow this all out of proportion either by claimin that a team winning is because of one team member's faith (as if he's the only Christian on the team) and those who hate the fact that he is very open and expressive about his faith and claim that people will do stupid stuff if he succeeds!

No the team is winning because of the TEAM and if people do stupid stuff it is because THEY are STUPID!

First off, in football, a lot of the team's failures and successes are put on the shoulders of the quarterback. There's really no other position like it in sports.

Second, to me, Tebow has been amazing to watch. For all intents and purposes, he is an awful QB. He has horrible mechanics, he's left handed, he throws the uggliest ball I've ever seen, he's inaccurate and he's terrible at reading defenses. But despite that, he's winning games. It's downright amazing to me.

Finally, I agree about stupid people being stupid. Hateful people will be stupid. All they're looking for is an excuse. This has happened for thousands of years. It will continue to happen for thousands of more.

I haven't seen Tebow play yet but if his success proves one thing, is that most NFL analysts and experts haven't a ****ing clue, as they were so dismissive of the Broncos for putting him on the field. :ols:

it's awful.

He rolls out.. no one is open,, he rolls and rolls.. receiver works back, he throws a 'bullet'. with the point of the ball up in the air.. like it's pee wee football. In the first half vs Chicago he was missing guys by ten yards. flutterballs..

Then in the fourth quarter he finds holes in the defense that didn't exist before, and runs them down. (And sometimes, i swear you can see God blocking for him.)

I think he tires teams out chasing him around up in Mile High. By the end they're whupped, can't get their breath.

he catches some breaks, like last week in Denver,, if they have to make that 59 yard kick in Chicago, forget it.

But, he takes advantage, the defense keeps it close, and..

They could go a ways in the playoffs if they keep playing defense like this. After watching the Pats last week, my bet is the Broncos keep it close again if they can take Gronk out of the picture. He might win again.

~Bang

One can tell this article was written by a moron when they use the phrase "so called climate change".

The Rabbi however is probably going a tad far in using Tebow as his jumping off point to correctly rip the right wing religious loons hellbent on destroying this country in a vain attempt return to the 1950s. He's right that the wackos use anything as a sign from god so let them be. If not Tebow it will be something else.

Archived