Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

It's time to shut Landry down for the rest of the season

vigilante

He has been overrated here for years. I wish we would have traded him before the season started or at least before the trade deadline. Honestly, how many memorable plays does he even have?

Exactly. Finally someone on here who has actually watched Landry at SS. He is simply not a very good player.

Exactly. Finally someone on here who has actually watched Landry at SS. He is simply not a very good player.

I kind of agree. It's kind of like he's a perpetual player coming out of college. HUGE ceiling but not quite there yet. Except that's been every year. I kind of am surprised when color commentators comment on how he's a "Troy Polamalu clone" or an "All-Pro Safety". It just isn't true. He could be, he has the talent and capability, but it just isn't true. That being said I still think we should resign him.

I hate that he's this far into his career and every time I see him he's still going for the "kill shot" on his opponent instead of the smart play to help the team. It's fun to watch, for sure, I mean he has incredible athleticism, but it doesn't seem to me like he's really evolved much at the position.

In all seriousness, the guy has tremendous playmaking ability and when healthy can single-handly change the games momentum. His range from sideline-to-sideline is something every team has to plan ahead for.

Good safeties are hard to find. It would almost be worth tagging him for a season and seeing if he can earn that long term deal he desires.

I kind of agree. It's kind of like he's a perpetual player coming out of college. HUGE ceiling but not quite there yet. Except that's been every year. I kind of am surprised when color commentators comment on how he's a "Troy Polamalu clone" or an "All-Pro Safety". It just isn't true. He could be, he has the talent and capability, but it just isn't true. That being said I still think we should resign him.

I think we have so many issues that I would be O.K. if we franchise tagged him and brought him in on certain schemes, but I have watched when he has had to cover guys, and all the defender has to do is give him a double move, go vertical and its over. I think he is good in some of the blitz schemes Haslett dials up but NOT if he winds up one on one with a guy trying to cover him. I feel the same way about him as I do DHall. Just overrated players who get beat a lot. I do not want to reward Landry with a big contract.

In all seriousness, the guy has tremendous playmaking ability and when healthy can single-handly change the games momentum. His range from sideline-to-sideline is something every team has to plan ahead for.

Good safeties are hard to find. It would almost be worth tagging him for a season and seeing if he can earn that long term deal he desires.

His price tag would be between 8-10M. With his inability to stay on the field, I just don't see that being a smart decision. Let him walk, New England does it with their seconday every offseason. It's about the system. Let someone else go overpay for a muscle head, who is not a student of the game

He has been overrated here for years. I wish we would have traded him before the season started or at least before the trade deadline. Honestly, how many memorable plays does he even have?

Problem is, he spent a lot of his time here playing the wrong position. When Sean Taylor died, he was moved into the FS position, and in the end he wasn't suited for it. Before he got injured last year, he was a beast doing what he does best. As for this year, he really hasn't been right all year long. (Along with Atogwe)

It is going to be somewhat of a tough position for the team in the offseason about Laron. In this day and age, you need that type of talent at the Safety position. The question is, do they think he will be able to play up to the level he was playing at last year?

His price tag would be between 8-10M. With his inability to stay on the field, I just don't see that being a smart decision. Let him walk, New England does it with their seconday every offseason. It's about the system. Let someone else go overpay for a muscle head, who is not a student of the game

I hear what you are saying, but it's also kind of like when I take my girl out and she orders the most expensive thing on the menu... She doesn't care because she's not paying. Snyder won't mind shelling out 9 million for a guy who plays 8 games as long as that guy has one of the most recognizable names/faces on the roster.

If I'm not mistaken, the franchise tag doesn't count against the salary cap does it? If not, then we'd be stupid not to tag him and see if he ever meets his potential.

I'd rather him heal. His legs look much skinnier... probably because he has laid off the running and I can just tell his strength isn't there either. If he needed surgery he should have had it last offseason. If he still needs it... he needs to have it Monday and come back in July.

New England is dead last in pass defense this year, giving up a tidy 310 yards a game.

You would be correct in a micro perspective

I'm speaking in macro terms if you look at New England they have constantly let secondary guys walk. Asante Samuels being the most talented.

To me, if you have a pass rush you don't need to overspend on your secondary.

Exactly....People on this board want to let people go i dont get it same thing with Los last year they dont see the upside in the players we have just the points that devalue them, Yes hes been hurt its probably because of the whole debacle this offseason with the labor dispute he didnt get the proper rehabilitation, we have to resign this guy hes worth having on the team dont be so sure to pencil in Gomes as the next best thing...look how horton turned out.

He's a pain in the ass with the celebrations, but that's about it.

When he has a good defensive coordinator, he's all-pro. When he had a bad one, he wasn't playing like he could.

As it was said, he really hasn't been right all year. Tough luck for him, but if WE aren't going to sign him for Polamalu money, then NOBODY is.

I hate to say anything negative. Geez, what I'd love to see "Landry and Taylor." When you talk about sideline to sideline I think of Taylor. Yes, Landry is good, but his messed up too many as well. The guy was hurt and talked all kinds of junk pre-game before Eagles and got burnt first play (thats what I remember now,2010). I hope he gets healthy and proves me wrong. yes, he has the occasional, WOW hit. He made some bad plays that were question marks even this year (Fletcher got Mad!)

---------- Post added December-9th-2011 at 11:07 PM ----------

Are y'all crazy with the talk of NOT signing him? Rest him? Maybe, but to let him walk away would be crazy wrong. The kid has heart and is a home grown 'Skin.

I like your post. I think we need to simmer with the questions, let him Get Healthy 100% and see what happens. I dont think he was at his best, same goes for Oshiomogho Atogwe

I feel we should resign Landry and place him on IR. He is a excellent strong safety and was been nicked up. He just needs to rest and heal up. Last year he was a man among boys, lets not forget that, and we should all be wary of the "cut him crowd"...the same crowd that ran Rogers out of town....brilliant!

I feel we should resign Landry and place him on IR. He is a excellent strong safety and was been nicked up. He just needs to rest and heal up. Last year he was a man among boys, lets not forget that, and we should all be wary of the "cut him crowd"...the same crowd that ran Rogers out of town....brilliant!

Rogers NEEDED to be run out of town. He didn't care enough to get his eyes checked as a Redskin, and he didn't WANT to be here. That right there is all you need to know. You don't want someone here, who doesn't want to be here. People forget that when talking about Rogers' resurgence this year.

Larons out with a groin/achillies and all year long the achillies has caused and will continue to cause other leg injuries do to compensastion. Laron when healthy and focused is a hell of a talent on the field but reality is hes had leg injuries on a yearly basis since his rookie year and they will continue to get worse and more frequent. The achillies needs surgery for him to even have a shot at getting back to full health but also theres some damage done thats irreversible at this point. I would not resign him and i hate to say it but he will not be the player that flashed for 8 games last year ever again and maybe ill post in depth about it when hes moved on.

Rogers NEEDED to be run out of town. He didn't care enough to get his eyes checked as a Redskin, and he didn't WANT to be here. That right there is all you need to know. You don't want someone here, who doesn't want to be here. People forget that when talking about Rogers' resurgence this year.

SO I just want to make sure, I understand....we need to not resign Davis and let Williams play out his contract and then let him go. After all they don't care enough not to smoke pot. See I think your wrong, it's call LEADERSHIP and it nessasary to COACH players and be involved in their lives. Rogers medical problem should have been found in DC and it would have created and differant relationship with the fans and therefore no reason to move on. He didn't hate DC as much as DC hated him.

SO I just want to make sure, I understand....we need to not resign Davis and let Williams play out his contract and then let him go. After all they don't care enough not to smoke pot. See I think your wrong, it's call LEADERSHIP and it nessasary to COACH players and be involved in their lives. Rogers medical problem should have been found in DC and it would have created and differant relationship with the fans and therefore no reason to move on. He didn't hate DC as much as DC hated him.

You're just babbling nonsense.

He didn't like DC because he felt he was owed a payday here. He never earned it here, so he never received it here. Its as simple as that.

Larons out with a groin/achillies and all year long the achillies has caused and will continue to cause other leg injuries do to compensastion. Laron when healthy and focused is a hell of a talent on the field but reality is hes had leg injuries on a yearly basis since his rookie year and they will continue to get worse and more frequent. The achillies needs surgery for him to even have a shot at getting back to full health but also theres some damage done thats irreversible at this point. I would not resign him and i hate to say it but he will not be the player that flashed for 8 games last year ever again and maybe ill post in depth about it when hes moved on.

Will he be moving on after this season?

Archived