Kraftwerk
MC5
Pearl Jam
Tupac Shakur
Steppenwolf
Joe Tex
Yes
The Zombies

I only see 3-5 on that list that should even be nominated.

I am borderline shocked that Bad Brains got nominated. 

From the current group of nominees I hope The Cars and J. Geils Band get in.

They have fixed a lot of glaring omissions in the last few years (Deep Purple, Chicago, Stevie Ray Vaughan) but I think Warren Zevon, Foreigner and Little Feat should really be in.

Out of that list, I would imagine Pearl Jam is a lock. The Cars should. Depeche Mode may. Now that the alternative era bands are coming elegible, there will be a slew of them to get in. It wouldn't surprise me if Jane's gets in. Journey, J Geils, and ELO will get overlooked again.

10 minutes ago, DM72 said:

I just don't see how a band like The Cars should get in but Def Leppard never gets nominated. 

Chaka Khan is nominated, but not Barry White or Teddy Pendergrass?

I think The Cars deserve it as much as Def Leppard.  They were the front line of the nu wave movement.  Only released 7 albums, but 5 of them were top ten billboard, 5 went multi platinum.

Plus, they should get in, if for no other reason, for providing the soundtrack to the greatest scene in movie history.  Thank you Phoebe Cates.

1 hour ago, Rocky21 said:

Being a long time Tailgate poster I never knew you felt this way.  :)

My music likes is pretty vast. From Marvin Gaye to Def Leppard lol.

Always liked Def Leppard. They don't get the credit they deserve IMO.

DM72...thing is with Def Leppard, while wildly successful, what did they innovate? Mutt Lange was the genius behind band. Mutt Lange should be in the HOF. Sure other bands have had great producers, but other bands did what Leppard did before Leppard did them....like Boston. I like Def Leppard, but HOF? Maybe at some point, but not over some of these other bands first.

5 minutes ago, DM72 said:

They did have 3 defining albums. I believe they're the only rock band besides The Beatles and Van Halen with 3 albums that went platinum. That should count for something.

I think they are the only rock bands to have at least 2 diamond award status albums. Pretty sure many other rock bands have had 3 or more platinum albums, hell Poison did now that I about it haha.

I think Mutt influenced them more than the band influencing others. Hell around that time he had worked with AC/DC, Leppard, Bryan Adams, and oddly enough the Cars for one album.

They're one of five bands that have 2 albums sell over 10 million.

I remember seeing some of those shows where other bands have cited Def Leppard as an influence. I definitely remember Lars from Matallica saying Def Leppard was an influence. There were a few bands that tried to copy the Def Leppard sound back in the day. 

Archived