Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Rock N Roll Hall of Fame. **2018 Nominees**

DM72

The biggest thing Def Leppard has going against them is that they're going to be lumped into that group with Motley Crüe, Night Ranger, Poison and Bon Jovi. Def Leppard was much better than all of them.

I can already picture it.......Kanye West will be inducted into the Hall of Fame before King Crimson and he's going to perform "Power" during his induction.

Your probably right. I was a Kanye fan until that song. Crimson deserves much better than that and I know Kanye could have done it. That song is absolute garbage and I've yet to listen to anything else he's done since.

I hope NIN get in. Trent Reznor is the man.

He got indicted ?

Damn, rock stars.

What's he charged with. Impersonating a musician?

I can already picture it.......Kanye West will be inducted into the Hall of Fame before King Crimson and he's going to perform "Power" during his induction.

And he'll interrupt someone's speech.

Aren't they the Def Leppard of that genre?

What exactly does that mean?

Their early(less famous) stuff is praised. They probably get knocked for their commercial stuff that everyone loves, but isn't critically acclaimed.

Rick Allen (the one-armed drummer) is surprisingly accomplished artist.  II met him last year at his showing in Bethesda, and he's coming back this January.  Cool dude:  

http://www.wentworth-art.com/

Rick Allen is one of the coolest guys in the business. I have met him several times but one time in particular stands out. My son and I went to see Def Leppard at The Borgata in Atlantic City. Before the show we were standing around in a hallway and there were tons of people standing outside of a door. Some of them were even opening the door to peak inside. About 15 minutes pass and this lady, who turned out to be Rick's wife,  comes out and motions towards me and my son to enter the room. Upon entering Rick Allen is in there, just him. We got to hang out with Rick for about 15 minutes. He gave my son a signed t-shirt and drum stick that he personalized of course. I had brought my guitar with me to try to get it signed by Phil Collen. I knew it was a longshot but I told Rick and he told me to contact him after the show and he would arrange it. He gave me his cell phone number and sure enough I called it after the show and he had security come get us and take us backstage. it was an experience my son and I will never forget.

Now that's a great story.

Thanks man. Def Leppard get a ton of **** but they are truly a great rock band and even more important a great bunch of guys. They have been through times as tough as any band that has ever been, yet they have perservered.

I dunno, I have a pretty ridiculous number of 70s soul/R&B/funk albums and I've never once considered buying any Kool and The Gang. I'm sure they turn up on a compilation somewhere but they are in a pretty loaded category as far as artists go.

Just as a random example, I would put Teddy Pendergrass in before them.

Please listen to any of Kool & the Gang's pre-1973 albums.  They were a pure funk band before spewing crap like "Ladies Night", "Too Hot", and the rest of their late 70's/early 80's tripe.  

"Chocolate Buttermilk", "Kool's Back Again", and "NT" stand with the other funk jams of the period.  George Brown is/was the prototypical funk drummer of his time.  

They remind me of the Doobie Brothers - a band that had two totally distinct incarnations.  

Lol...Back in the day, you didn't go to a house party without hearing Ladies Night or Too Hot.

Teddy Pendergrass is very interesting. He was one hell of a singer. His slow jams were incredible. I do believe he's in the hall with Harold Melvin and the Blue notes but I'm not certain.

Aren't they the Def Leppard of that genre?

I'm not expert of Kool and the Gang by any means. I gather they took some time before major popularity and kind of had an intentional  pop/commercial change in production/image....much like Def Leppard from High n Dry to Pyromania to Hysteria. 

• 2 months later...

Who started this thread? Do you think we can change the title to 2016?

For whatever reason, when I try to edit, it won't let me edit the title.

Another group that should be considered is The Jam. Really surprised that they're not already in.

Archived