Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Rock N Roll Hall of Fame. **2018 Nominees**

DM72

I don't even believe Diana Ross is in as a solo artist. How can that be?

I think she made it in because she was the only one to really have a significant career after the Supremes.

I recall one...name escapes me at the moment was very pretty, but Ross was doing the damn thing making her name known.

Mary maybe ? I'll have to look it up.

EDIT: Yep, Mary Wilson.

Chic ??? Really ? ehh...

Chaka Khan...hell no. Unless it for length of career...I don't think she even had one platinum song. I know that album was platinum back in the 80's but ... so. I think it was Prince that wrote the big hit.

Geez, these HOF things are getting a little too much these days,

If you are going to go by album sales, you need to pull out Lou Reed and The Faces and The Ramones and Patti Smith and a whole bunch of people.

And you need to put Poison in today.

If you are going to go by album sales, you need to pull out Lou Reed and The Faces and The Ramones and Patti Smith and a whole bunch of people.

And you need to put Poison in today.

please not by album sales. That's Def leopards only ticket it.

The RRHoF is really just diluted. Should be limited to game changers. But no. It's now essentially any group that was popular. I swear, someday Credd will be in there.

The RRHoF is really just diluted. Should be limited to game changers. But no. It's now essentially any group that was popular. I swear, someday Credd will be in there.

Def Leppard still sells out arenas to this day. 3 critically acclaimed albums don't get you in? Tell me how should The Cars get in and not Def Leppard?

Just wondering. Do you think Ringo Starr should have been indicted last year?

Def Leppard still sells out arenas to this day. 3 critically acclaimed albums don't get you in? Tell me how should The Cars get in and not Def Leppard?

just because they're popular, doesn't mean they're worthy. what have they done that sets them apart?

No. Ringo by himself isn't worthy.

Still so popular? I can get 5 tickets to their concert 1 week away, basically right next to the stage. Sold directly from the arena

Or 5 to their concert in 2 days. Right next to the stage.

Seriously, half the people in should not be.

Not to mention calling it R&R HOF.

I do agree that the Cars are not worthy.

Just call it the Music hall of fame.

Is Scott Joplin in it ? Yet we have these random folks...

Maple leaf rag is a staple of music.

Most of the stuff is not even close to comparison as far as depth/talent.

just because they're popular, doesn't mean they're worthy. what have they done that sets them apart?

No. Ringo by himself isn't worthy.

Still so popular? I can get 5 tickets to their concert 1 week away, basically right next to the stage. Sold directly from the arena

Come on, You can probably get seats to just about any concert you want to go to. Along with Van Halen, they were the biggest rock band in the 80's. You're telling me they weren't influential?

Come on, You can probably get seats to just about any concert you want to go to. Along with Van Halen, they were the biggest rock band in the 80's. You're telling me they weren't influential?

Yes. I can get tickets via the secondary market. I was clicking ticket links directly from DL's own website.

Look, I'm not arguing they weren't a very popular band at one point with a lot of fans and record sales. But so were hundreds of other groups I wouldn't elect to the RnRHoF. Like Backstreet boys. Def Leppard didn't do anything out of the ordinary that sets them apart from other hard rock groups in that era.

They are like Clinton Portis. Very good at what they were, and what they did, but not heads and shoulders better than their contemporaries.

But they still pack arenas over 20 years past their peek. Plus, no one sells out "every" show. And you guys are pumping up The Cars, what exactly made them so influential? They went as commercial as Def Leppard did.

But they still pack arenas over 20 years past their peek. Plus, no one sells out "every" show. And you guys are pumping up The Cars, what exactly made them so influential? They went as commercial as Def Leppard did.

Pearl Jam sells out every show. :-P

I don't think the Cars should really be in either. but that's a genre of music i never really got into. Their songs are fine and all. Ric Ocasik belongs in. But moreso as a producer than a musician. This is the beauty of RnRHof. We all have our opinion of who sucks and who doesn't.

I just think The Cars' first album is unfreakinbelievably good.

Plus they were weirdly good at everything randomly associated with rock music - album covers, videos, marrying models when you look like a serial killer, dying too young, etc.

I'm kind of surprised there is any interest in this. The idea of a Hall of Fame for artists is, in and of itself, crass and objectionable.

In fairness, we're talking about pop music here.

This may be my favorite ongoing thread here. People really care about this stuff, and I find it amusing.

I also like making fun of the weirdo prog rock people who show up here. Though they all appear to be underground lately. My guess is that the collapse of Radio Shack really shook their world.

I just think The Cars' first album is unfreakinbelievably good.

Plus they were weirdly good at everything randomly associated with rock music - album covers, videos, marrying models when you look like a serial killer, dying too young, etc.

In fairness, we're talking about pop music here.

This may be my favorite ongoing thread here. People really care about this stuff, and I find it amusing.

I also like making fun of the weirdo prog rock people who show up here. Though they all appear to be underground lately. My guess is that the collapse of Radio Shack really shook their world.

We're going by album covers now? Plus, Def Leppard had a member that died young also.

Is Def Leppard really a band or just a metal version of the Spice Girls but instead of hot chicks, the producers went chose skinny unemployed alcoholics?

I kid because I love, of course. Hair metal is really really really really under-represented considering how huge it was. Like everything else, I just blame Jann Wenner. He dug New Wave so he's going to keep pushing until The Motels and The Waitresses get in. Meanwhile, no one who had a video on MTV in 1988 has a chance.

We're going by album covers now? Plus, Def Leppard had a member that died young also.

I'm old school. Album covers are at least 30 percent of the reason why I like certain bands.

Def Leppard probably should have addressed their font-related issues when they had the chance. They didn't. I have no sympathy.

No.  They were popular.   They sold a lot of albums and tickets.  But they weren't "influential" or innovative.   

They were entirely derivative of the arena rock that dominated music at the time they appeared, and they were just another one of the innumerable hair metal/pop metal acts like Poison and Motley Crue that arena rock was gradually morphing into.  Just a bit more successful than most, but not more influential.     

Led Zeppelin was influential.   Jimi Hendrix was influential.   Black Sabbath was influential.  Van Halen and Aerosmith and Metallica and Deep Purple were influential.  

Def Leppard was popular, not influential.    IMO.

This man is seriously talking album covers...

What in the...

Are we denying the importance of album covers?

Granted, today, they are meaningless. But once upon a time, they were probably the second most important thing a band could create next to songs.

Though in the case of Boston that may actually be debatable.

No.  They were popular.   They sold a lot of albums and tickets.  But they weren't "influential" or innovative.   

They were entirely derivative of the arena rock that dominated music at the time they appeared, and they were just another one of the innumerable hair metal/pop metal acts like Poison and Motley Crue that arena rock was gradually morphing into.  Just a bit more successful than most, but not more influential.     

Led Zeppelin was influential.   Jimi Hendrix was influential.   Black Sabbath was influential.  Van Halen and Aerosmith and Metallica and Deep Purple were influential.  

Def Leppard was popular, not influential.    IMO.

They did have a one-armed drummer.

I would vote them in on that basis.

But I think I view rock music differently than a lot of people.

They did have a one-armed drummer.

I would vote them in on that basis.

But I think I view rock music differently than a lot of people.

What has 8 arms and suckers?  An octopus.

Then what has 9 arms and sucks?  Def Leppard.  

That joke was a big laugh-getter back in 1991.  

Here is a totally stupid and one hundred percent legit argument. I think I've listened to two Iron Maiden songs in my life. I just did not hang out with the type of people who would have gotten me to listen to Iron Maiden.

I also don't know if Iron Maiden is in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I doubt that they are.

But they one hundred percent should be in it based on t-shirts alone.

(I probably made the exact opposite argument when it came to Kiss, but the reason for that is simple: **** Gene Simmons).

What has 8 arms and suckers?  An octopus.

Then what has 9 arms and sucks?  Def Leppard.  

That joke was a big laugh-getter back in 1991.  

I was 13 when Pour Some Sugar on Me came out. That meant that I was 100 percent the target audience for a band with a one-armed drummer. I would watch that video and think, "He's amazing man."

Mutt Lange did all the programming and he basically just hit a snare on the two and four, right?

Archived