Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official ES Head Coach/Front Office Thread - Is Mike Shanahan the Future of This Franchise?

Dan T.

So the Redskins break a 6 game losing streak in Seattle - the longest of Mike Shanahan's career at any level of the NFL. The conventional wisdom regarding the direction of this franchise is "patience"... something sorely lacking for the past decade, with a revolving door to the coach's office.

Is Mike Shanahan still the man for the job? There have been a relatively few coaches in the league who have been successful at the helm while also responsible for personnel decisions. Bruce Allen is not a primary personnel guy as the GM. Are you confident that the football leadership of this team is the right mix going foward? Or should Dan Snyder seriously look at pulling the trigger once again this off season?

Yes... The system works.... The execution blows, most of the time because of Grossman, but you can see that when he's executing it properly i tworks

Shanahan has found studs in Helu and Kerrigan, Hankerson looked good before he went down. Jenkins has rave reviews... I don' tthink it's out of this realm to suggest all four of these guys will form an awesome core.

I think his ability to evaluate personnel has improved from his Denver days.

I think your first comments about "patience" being the key was correct. I think we expect to much to soon. I think we finally start building through the draft and maintain a coaching staff that can develope players. You see where that revolving door of coaches and going after the biggest name on the market has gotten us. HTTR from Alabama :logo:

His personnel decisions are hit or miss... except for QB where he is 100% miss. I don't mind him as a coach but he shouldn't have been positioned above Allen in the chain of command.

Cmon Man, he gamble with a few guys so what. HE did not overpay and I gotta say if not for the flu for Grossman and the OL injuries this team could have been competitive this year. I mean really? The Cowboys leading the division and barely beating the Redskins and Dolphins. It is plausible if the Redskins had gotten decent play out of Mc, Mc, can't say his name they would have competed for the NFCE title this year.

Cmon Man, he gamble with a few guys so what. HE did not overpay and I gotta say if not for the flu for Grossman and the OL injuries this team could have been competitive this year. I mean really? The Cowboys leading the division and barely beating the Redskins and Dolphins. It is plausible if the Redskins had gotten decent play out of Mc, Mc, can't say his name they would have competed for the NFCE title this year.

Every decision he's made concerning the QB here in Washington has been a bad one except maybe getting rid of Todd Collins. It is what it is. If he ever makes a good decision at QB I'll give him credit.

Every decision he's made concerning the QB here in Washington has been a bad one except maybe getting rid of Todd Collins. It is what it is. If he ever makes a good decision at QB I'll give him credit.

He tried, he tried and he will keep trying until he gets the Guy. I don't think he made bad decisions, it was the decisions he was faced with and trying to make the best of it.

Is he the future - Yes.

Is it the right mix - No.

The right mix would've been luring a top notch GM, and letting him pick a coach. This is the JKC method, something of which Snyder is apprently clueless. It's what ex-Redskin Mark Murphy understood perfectly when he put together the Packers.

People who think Snyder finally "gets it" don't realize this is the same pattern he's followed all along - take a chance with an unproven offensive would-be guru (Robiskie, Spurrier, Zorn), emasculating him, firing him when (surprise) there's no climax, then replacing him with a retread coach (Schotferbrains, Gibbs, Shamahan) and handing over complete control to quiet critics. When Shanny has done nothing after 4 years, you'll see Snydo picking up some QB coach or offensive coordinator who will go nowhere, and then he'll offer Gruden or Cowher $10m/yr to come out of retirement and hand him complete control.

Yes, this is the first time in 12 years that there has been a stable system and plan in place. The last draft was probably the best draft since DS bought the team. This group knows what they are doing. They were handed a horrible and washed up group of players but they are now getting younger and faster.

Is he the future - Yes.

The right mix would've been luring a top notch GM, and letting him pick a coach. This is the JKC method, something of which Snyder is apprently clueless. It's what ex-Redskin Mark Murphy understood perfectly when he put together the Packers.

People who think Snyder finally "gets it" don't realize this is the same pattern he's followed all along - take a chance with an unproven offensive would-be guru (Robiskie, Spurrier, Zorn), emasculating him, firing him when (surprise) there's no climax, then replacing him with a retread coach (Schotferbrains, Gibbs, Shamahan) and handing over complete control to quiet critics. When Shanny has done nothing after 4 years, you'll see Snydo picking up some QB coach or offensive coordinator who will go nowhere, and then he'll offer Gruden or Cowher $10m/yr to come out of retirement and hand him complete control.

That's an interesting pattern. I'll say that overall - and not just for the Redskins - bringing back coaching greats as retreads seems to miss more than hit.

I'm willing to give Shanahan a chance (and let him complete his contract) but he seems to have no clue about player evaluation. I mean the players on his own farkin' roster. Grossman ain't great but he is the best QB on the roster. How does Mike Shanahan not know this? Does he watch the practices? Is he on medication?

Same thing with the running backs? He went all through training camp last year and had no idea who his best rusher was. Hey Mike, that's what practice is for. You don't evaluate your personnel during the regular season!

Oh I thought this was the UN-Official ES Head Coach/Front Office Thread. Since I now see this is the Official ES Head Coach/Front Office Thread, I'll back out.

Is he the future - Yes.

Confirmation Bias can really make some people look stupid. This is overgeneralized to the broadest level.

The Patriots went from having Pioli and HC to just HC making primary personnel decisions so this isn't some crazy off the wall structure. If Allen survives and Shanny doesn't, I'm pretty sure Allen would hire someone else to be the personnel director anyways so this point is moot.

oh no maybe about cutting todd collins it was time. but 4 all jason campbells good stats here and in oakland, he got outplayed by todd collins here, and oakland made a big trade to try replacing him with carson palmer. mcnabb was coming ofF 1 of his best years, when shanny got him.

personally I don't think these moves were stupid, but rather shanny trying too hard to upgrade us at qb. I hated trading pics 4 an old qb, on principle, but I think mcnabb playing only about as well as rex grossman last season surprised everybody ( except andy reid, grrrr).

This process is going to take awhile, and it is going to be painful at times. Almost everyone seemed to know this going in to it. If you care to look through the hundreds of threads talking about getting this team pointed in the right direction that have been written, posted, and bumped over the past ten years, you will see that almost every poster here agreed that it was what was needed and that it wouldn't be easy, but most complained that Snyder would not have the patience. The sad thing is, now that the plan and rebuild are in place and underway, many of those same posters are the one's who are being impatient and won't allow this thing to play out. It is frustrating, to say the least.

Let's stop re-writing history when it comes to Snyder. I'm used to and expect the media to do it, but our own fans is another story. Snyder has never been as impatient as most make him out to be. They act like the revolving coach door is his doing. He fired Norv Turner, who honestly deserved to have been fired before Snyder even bought the team. He then fired Marty after one season, something he admits that he would do differently now after looking back. Spurrier was coming to the NFL, and Snyder thought his offensive genius would translate into the NFL. It didn't. Still, Snyder allowed him time. It was Spurrier who quit; Snyder did not fire him even after the horrible mess he made of this team. Next came Gibbs, and he too quit. He was not fired. Zorn is an issue all on its own. I truly believe from everything I have read and heard that Zorn was 100% Vinny Cerrato's doing. He convinced Snyder to hire him as an offensive coordinator, then he convinced Snyder to take a look at him as a head coach. It is why, in my opinion, Vinny was forced out when Snyder had decided to fire Zorn.

That brings us to Shanahan. Snyder is not going to fire him or step in and try to relinquish power from him. Snyder will let this ride out for at least the five years that he gave Mike on his contract. If Mike chooses to bail before then, which I highly doubt, then that would, of course, be on Mike. Snyder has seen how this organization is getting stronger and the team is moving in the right direction. He has spoken several times on how impressed he has been with Bruce and Mike's handling of situations and the draft. He is the one who realizes that this thing will take time, but it is happening. He is the one being patient and staying back from operations and doing exactly what every fan and media personality have suggested and wanted him to do for years. So, why can't the fans see this and just let this thing happen?

posters are the one's who are being impatient and won't allow this thing to play out. It is frustrating, to say the least.

Let's stop re-writing history when it comes to Snyder. I'm used to and expect the media to do it, but our own fans is another story. Snyder has never been as impatient as most make him out to be. They act like the revolving coach door is his doing. (SNIP)

That is a - shall we say - highly benign way of looking at Snyder's history with head coaches.

Snyder fired Turner during a post-game hissy fit, the only coach in the NFL modern era ever fired in-season with a winning record. Snyder fired Shottenheimer after one year after the two egos clashed in a ****-measuring contest. Then Snyder miscalculated BADLY on Steve Spurrier's fitness as an NFL coach, giving him a 5-year, $25 million contract - the richest in NFL history at the time. Spurrier knew he was gone after the second season and did Snyder a favor by quitting with that phone call from the golf course. Snyder turned to Gibbs, the only man on the planet Snyder wouldn't have the balls to fire. Then, in a nightmare deja vu, Snyder miscalculated BADLY on Steve Spurrier's - oops, Jim Zorn's - fitness as an NFL coach. Now we have the West Coast version of Joe Gibbs in Mike Shanahan.

That is a - shall we say - highly benign way of looking at Snyder's history with head coaches.

Snyder fired Turner during a post-game hissy fit, the only coach in the NFL modern era ever fired in-season with a winning record. Snyder fired Shottenheimer after one year after the two egos clashed in a ****-measuring contest. Then Snyder miscalculated BADLY on Steve Spurrier's fitness as an NFL coach, giving him a 5-year, $25 million contract - the richest in NFL history at the time. Spurrier knew he was gone after the second season and did Snyder a favor by quitting with that phone call from the golf course. Snyder turned to Gibbs, the only man on the planet Snyder wouldn't have the balls to fire. Then, in a nightmare deja vu, Snyder miscalculated BADLY on Steve Spurrier's - oops, Jim Zorn's - fitness as an NFL coach. Now we have the West Coast version of Joe Gibbs in Mike Shanahan.

Yeah and your acount is flawless...

Norv had to go . He was Cooks man and he would have gone in 1999 had the NFL not misshandled the sale of the Skins so the ownership was only finalised in June . 1999 brought him a stay he did not deserve .

Except Marty Shottenhiemer was esentially fired mid season by AJ Smith before taking the chargers to the playoffs - (dead man walking) because he had and Ego problems with the higher ups . He was also embarressingly stripped of the GM powers which he had here by Smith following 2 seasons of missrule he was offered the same ultimatem as he was here either step down as GM and give some personnel decisions up or be fired . Smith then assembled one of the most talented teams in the AFC only for Shottenhiemer and Turner to be able to get the minimum out of the roster .

Spurrier was chased for a couple of seasons to come into the NFL . It was not a piss in the dark here . It was a highly touted collage hire that didn't work out because Spurrier had no idea what it was to be an NFL head coach and wanted to spend more time on the golf course than the film room . Spurrier would have been a failure anywhere - and given no one has chased him since makes you think

Gibbs I think is a major coo . I think what a lot of people missed was Gibbs first came into contact with Snyder when groups were comming together to bid for the Skins in 1998 . Gibbs had been pretty much shunned by the Redskins FO for the best part of 10 years ... Gibbs retired I think because I did not think he was expecting the glare of public oppinion to be so bright . The loss of Sean Taylor was something he never had to deal with before and given how close he was to the players personally it was no real surpise he stepped down, but in doing so left the Skins in a bind, as Snyder was looking to get him to agree to an extention not for him to step down .

The Zorn affair eneded much the same way as the Spurrier eara ended . Zorn started believing his own press and liked to hang out like a celeb . He had a much shorter rope though, and fortunatly when he went down he took his biggest suporter initially with him . And that brings us to now .

Archived